PDA

View Full Version : algae or bacteria?

bigfish
07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
can anyone tell me what this is and what i can do to get rid of it?

Millepora_Maniac
07-28-2009, 12:27 AM
HI man, It looks to me like it may have been algae, and is now turning into a nice bacterial culture!!, If you have to use a chemical agent to get rid of it, then use Chemi-Clean, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO A TEE, and you'll be alright. IF you want to do it the old fashioned way, I would tell you to do larger and more frequent water changes. I did more water changes and it worked for me, I had to break up the growth of slime first though!:biggrin: post back and let me know how you make out!! Cheers-Ken

Myka
07-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Looks like cyanobacteria to me. Look at reducing nutrients in the water column. Take a read through the algae link in my signature for my own reccommendations.

justinl
07-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Looks like cyanobacteria. I don't advise chemical treatments unless it's actually threatning something in your tank... cyano poses no real threat; it's just aesthetically unpleasant. More water changes, use RO/DI, think about how much you feed, etc... think about what might be adding unnecessary nutrients into your system. You can siphon it out too if you're not worried about losing a bit of sand. Also, how old is the tank? New tanks go through different stages and cyano is often one of them... if that's the case, they usually run themselves out and the cyano goes away in time.

PoonTang
07-28-2009, 03:52 AM
I had some of that in my tank once. Dont know what it was and I could NOT get rid of it.
Red Slime Remover worked and then keep up on the increased water changes.

bigfish
07-28-2009, 05:37 AM
i started my tank in may so its a new tank. i'm going to do a 15% water change and try to siphon some of it off and feed a bit less.

fragNplug
07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
yes thats known as red slime algae, but it really is a bacteria.
You can siphon it out of the tank, and reduce your light cycle.
It tends to grow where there is little current, and high nutrient deposits
Large Temperature swings will also make it more likely to grow.