PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish burns

bignose
07-26-2009, 07:31 PM
I have 2 clowns that host my zoanthids and are getting burns from them. Is this a problem that can cause issues for the fish?

aquatechy
07-26-2009, 08:07 PM
hate to break it to you, but it would have negative long term effects. The one I can think of right off the back is that the burns would compromise the fish's mucus layer, which leaves it vulnerable to ick and parasites.

My advice, remove the zoo's..... :sad: sorry, but is must be done.

You dont want to endanger Nemo, do you?

marie
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I have 2 clowns that host my zoanthids and are getting burns from them. Is this a problem that can cause issues for the fish?

What do you mean by burns?...I doubt that it will have any serious long term effects on the fish. If the fish are continually getting hurt then they will go elsewhere to sleep

bignose
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
They are on their bellies. They like to lay on top of the zoos when they sleep.

marie
07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
They are on their bellies. They like to lay on top of the zoos when they sleep.

If its just black spots that your talking about then you can quit worrying. for some reason clown fish can get dark pigmentations when using some corals as hosts.

Pazil
07-26-2009, 10:47 PM
My Percs in the past have gotten white bumps (1 each) from hosting in the frogspawn... the bumps went away after about a week and have not returned.

pterfloth
07-27-2009, 03:46 AM
My tomato clown did that for a while and got a whitish burns on it. Didn't hurt it and it stopped hosting in the zoas after a while.

BlueWorldAquatic
07-27-2009, 06:24 AM
We have a reascued maroon clown that got burns from hosting on things she shouldn't have, lost both pectoral fins from burning that caused a bacterial infection that alnost killed her

Aleks
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
If its just black spots that your talking about then you can quit worrying. for some reason clown fish can get dark pigmentations when using some corals as hosts.

Werd...my clown gets them too, I suspect from the frogspawn.....Doesn't seem to bother him at all

bignose
07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I didn't think that zoas would burn my clowns. Funny how they host them, they stick their heads between the zoa polyps for awhile and then flop over.

Coleus
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I suggest you should try to get anemonies or frogspawn for them to host. Poor nemo
________
Extreme q vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.net/)

bignose
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm not too keen on anemones because of their path of destruction they can cause. I tried a frogspawn once with no success. I'm going to keep an eye on them and see what happens.

Aleks
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
FWIW mine has been acting like its hosting in a small mushroom colony lately....Funny how they'll pick and choose

Coleus
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Pair of mine host any thing that has soft tentacle. If i remove anemones, they will dive right into one of my torch, and if i remove torch, they dive in my frogspawn.

It is awesome to watch them
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

bignose
07-28-2009, 07:02 PM
It is awesome to watch them

I agree with you there. They add character to my tank. Stubborn fish keep getting burned but go back for more.

bignose
08-24-2009, 02:52 AM
This is starting to get out of control. My clowns have started to spawn and laid eggs near the same zoas. Now the clownfish is really getting burned badly. I'm going to post some pictures soon.

bignose
08-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Here is the clown and the zoas below it are the ones it lays in. The eggs are behind the blue zoas.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/jasoncompton1/clownburns.jpg

Coleus
08-24-2009, 06:07 AM
wow, poor nemo
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

fishytime
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Bonehead fish......the best relationship really is with a nem.....when clowns host in corals one of the two parties involved will usually end up getting hurt....with the possible exception of hairy mushrooms....Ive seen that "relationship" work out in the past.

JDigital
08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
.when clowns host in corals one of the two parties involved will usually end up getting hurt...

+1... My clowns killed off my 8-10head torch coral in about 7months. :twised:

bignose
08-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Bonehead fish...
Yes that fish is really stupid:lol: I found out about the eggs when I put my hand in to grab a frag, I put my hand near the eggs and the damned thing chomped my hand!!
They can bite really hard for their size.

It looks painful but it just keeps going back to lay in the same spot. I don't know what I'm going to do with them.

fishytime
08-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Yes that fish is really stupid:lol: I found out about the eggs when I put my hand in to grab a frag, I put my hand near the eggs and the damned thing chomped my hand!!
They can bite really hard for their size.

It looks painful but it just keeps going back to lay in the same spot. I don't know what I'm going to do with them.

Wait til she gets bigger!:lol: I meant that comment as a general one about all clowns....I think they are the one fish we keep that is not quite "all there".

Have you tried moving the zoas?.... that might work?

JDigital
08-25-2009, 03:26 AM
I think they are the one fish we keep that is not quite "all there".

It's a fairly well fitting name for them then, isn't it! lol :lol:

bignose
08-25-2009, 03:54 AM
She is a big fish 3"-3.5", I hope it dosen't get bigger.

All the zoas are glued to a flat rock so I will try that when the eggs are gone. Not going to stick my hand there again unless I have too!