PDA

View Full Version : Jawfish and Gobies

Myka
07-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I love both Jawfish and Gobies, but many of them don't get along very well. I'm planning on adding 4 Pearly Jawfish to my tank in the next couple months. These are for sure residents. My sandbed was planned just for them. I am also planning on adding a single or possibly a pair of Mandarin Dragonettes once the tank matures, so I worry about food competition as well.

Now, I'm wondering what types of gobies have people kept with Pearly Jawfish successfully? Which Gobies have proven to not be food competitors for Mandarins?

I know there are mixed reviews on some of them too. I am hoping to also add a Sharknose Goby and a Rainford's Goby since they both have jobs they do very well, but I am thinking these guys aren't going to fit well with the Jawfish and Mandarins, particularly the Rainford's - I'm leaning more towards not stocking it. I think the Sharknose should be ok.

Any experiences or thoughts?

Tomjay
07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I have four yellow head sleeper Gobies and a Blue Spot Jawfish and they get along fine; I also have a single Mandarin Dragonet.

I will add a second Dragonet very cool fish have to look very hard to find him gets lost in the rock work (I have a lot of rock) I am also planning to add one Blue Spot or Pearly Jawfish.

Doesn’t really answer your question but thought I would share my experience with you.

Myka
07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks Tomjay, this does help. I'm really just interested to hear which ones get along, and which ones don't in people's experiences. I don't think your two Blue Spots will get along though...that's why I'm choosing to get Pearly's instead as I wanted a nice little harem, and Blue Spots seem to do better singly. They are gorgeous though. How big is your tank? (I'm wondering in relation to mine)

Tomjay
07-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too the two Blue spot might have issues together, thanks for clarifying this. My tank is maybe 130gallon (160 cm x 60 cm x 60 cm) I have a few pic in the picture forum.

So what are your thoughts on me adding a few Pearly’s or Tiger Jawfish?

Myka
07-26-2009, 07:05 PM
My understanding is that Jawfish won't tolerate other species of Jawfish, and Pearly's are the only ones that can be kept in harems. I've never heard of anyone straying from these "rules" before, so maybe it is possible. Your tank being a little over 6' long you may have better luck. My tank is only 4'.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
In my seahorse refugium, I have 2 jawfish (Indo. unknown sp.) that get along fine. One I've got from King Ed's Pets 6 months ago, the other just added last week. Each has a rock pile to tunnel under to call their own. I think its a territoriality thing. If each jawfish has a space that they can build a home & defend, then they are less likely to be a problem.

Mine are small, unlike the Blue spotted or Randall's that grow at least twice that size.

Anthony

Myka
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Do you have pics of yours Anthony? I'm intrigued that you don't know the specie, and that they are so small.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/diversden/approved/th_0527091-287.jpg

Here's what I think it is. Listed on this site as Wass's jawfish.

Unlike the Randall's that is a slow eater, this sp. sits in its hole & darts out to scarf down mysis & bloodworms almost faster than your eye can follow.

Love jawfish. I would eventually like to set up a true jawfish display tank.

Myka
07-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Those are cute!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Yes, they are. The two jawfish live with my seahorse, leopard wrasse, mated pair of mandarin gobies, Wheeler's goby, & ochre-striped cardinalfish. No problems.

Myka
07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Awesome, thanks! That's good to know.

BigFatBalloonMolly
07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
What about a Fire Goby

Myka
07-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Firefish aren't actually gobies, and although I really like them as well, I am pretty sure they will not get on well with the Jawfish since they are so similarly shaped.

Tomjay
07-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Firefish aren't actually gobies, and although I really like them as well, I am pretty sure they will not get on well with the Jawfish since they are so similarly shaped.

I have a purple fire fish which hangout by the jaw fish there's no issue with the two they get along fine.

Myka
07-28-2009, 12:22 AM
That's funny, a friend of mine tried a Purple Firefish and a Pearly Jawfish, and they tried to kill eachother. :eek:

Tomjay
07-28-2009, 12:42 AM
That's funny, a friend of mine tried a Purple Firefish and a Pearly Jawfish, and they tried to kill eachother. :eek:

Maybe the Blue Spot is just calmer, the fire fish just hover around the den and sleeps very close to it….they were all added at different times