PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer

Buccaneer
07-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Well it was a happy day in Rastaland :smile: ... got my refractometer today ! ... I had tagged along on a group buy with the New Jersey Reef Club awhile back and got a great price on it ( $37US + shipping ) but when it got delivered it was broken :frown: ... so I got ahold of the guy that the group buy went thru and he agreed to exchange it ... he even tested the new one for me prior to shipping ... ( he offered to pay shipping both ways but I paid to send it to him and he express shipped back to me ... stand up dude :biggrin: ) ... so I calibrated it and tested my specific gravity and it was WAAAAY out 1.028 :eek: ... my little swing arm tester showed 1.0255 and my target range was always 1.026. I ordered this unit because I had broken my hydrometer and really had not used the swing arm tester in a long time ... sure hope I did not stress out my tank with such a high salinity :redface:

Cheers

kari
07-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Now you can do the Calgary tank tour thing and test all of our non refractometer owner tanks :biggrin: :biggrin:

Buccaneer
07-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Now you can do the Calgary tank tour thing and test all of our non refractometer owner tanks :biggrin: :biggrin:

I will have to do the " early morning " tour as I have to work noon to 5pm that day ... but will crash Deb's place after supper with my wife :cool:

Oh yea ... that reminds me Deb I need your address again

Cheers

Quinn
07-24-2003, 02:28 AM
The specific gravity/salinity of water shouldn't change based on temperature should it? Because I'd like to have mine tested as well and of course it won't be the same temperature as my tank by the time I get to Calgary.

Canadian Man
07-24-2003, 03:19 AM
yes quinn it does change "slightly" with temprature.

EmilyB
07-24-2003, 05:39 AM
I'm not entirely sure the tank tours will be Sat anyway, possibly Sun as well, as Sat could get quite busy with store tours unless we do those Friday....hmmm...so it's kinda up in the air right now.

I'll pm the address for those who want it.

We have a refract too, bring yours anyway Steve and we will compare readings ! Ours is a temp corrected hydrometer, which I believe most are.

Canadian Man
07-24-2003, 05:42 AM
I will bring my float hydrometer too just so I can check it against the ref...

I most likley work on that day as it's a saturday so I won't be ther till later. like 6:15ish. incase anyone cares :lol: :lol: