PDA

View Full Version : Custom Acrylic sumps?

Skimmin
07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
One thing I've noticed over the years is how expensive sumps are. Not only that but a lot of them don't really make the most of your space. I mean... how many of us just deal with the 'wrong' size, or shape of their sump, and how many of us would have something different, including equipment, if only we could fit it in that opening that's just a little too small. Is anyone interested in having a custom sump built? One to fit that tricky space, and hold hardware such as protein skimmers, and various reactors, probes, ato's, mechanical filtration, something you want built specifically etc... A friend and I both have some experience in sump building/design and we are gonna pick up some 1/2" 4'x4' acrylic sheets and build a few custom acrylic sumps, starting with my own. If you're interested shoot me a pm.

golf nut
07-24-2009, 04:54 AM
If you could show us some of your theory as to why your sumps might be better, and why, it would help

Skimmin
07-24-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm not saying better. I believe a lot of sumps work well, I'm just trying to say that I don't mind Building one that will fit an akward spot. I'm just making a few and I thought I would offer because I had a few tanks that had custom sumps that worked really well. What I meant by top of the line is the fact that I would not skimp and build it out of 1/4" or something really thin. But I would like a challenge seeings this is just fun for me. If someone wants a certain number of baffles or compartments I would put them in

Dez
07-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, are you interested in weld on 40 (this is what the high end custom acrylic tank builders use).

I bought a pint of weld on 40 for $38.75 and I just opened it last night and glued on fitting and that's it.

You can have it for $20

Des

Skimmin
07-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Hey Dez. I already have an appropriate solvent weld for the job but thanks for the offer. The solvent I'm using is like water and actually melts the pieces together instead of just bonding them. So instead of the sump being a box of numerous pieces glued together it actually becomes one big piece of acrylic.

Dez
07-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Hey Dez. I already have an appropriate solvent weld for the job but thanks for the offer. The solvent I'm using is like water and actually melts the pieces together instead of just bonding them. So instead of the sump being a box of numerous pieces glued together it actually becomes one big piece of acrylic.

Are you using weld-on 4 or 3? I'm familiar with the wicking technique and through Mr Alberta's research doesn't created as strong of joints FYI. Ask Mr Alberta, he just built a tank and did a ton of research.

Skimmin
07-24-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm sure as with anything there are plenty of options. This is the route I'm gonna go with. The other thing to consider is with baffles the structure becomes stronger and honestly I'm not concerned about the force a few feet of head pressure pressure will cause on 1/2" acrylic. I have an old 1/4" acrylic tank that is 24" tall, approx 10-12 years old, and it is welded using the solvent weld technique I described earlier and the tank is still fine, and holding water. Thanks for you comment