PDA

View Full Version : copper question

Red Coral Aquariums
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I was just asked a copper question by a customer and was not 100% sure the answer and thought I would put it up for open discussion.

The person is downsizing from 200 gallons to 65 gallon system in about 1 month. He had used the 65 as a Q-tank and has had copper in it about 2 months ago.

What would it take to get rid of the copper?? ( He wants it to be a reef)
( getting a new tank is not an option)

My suggestions were;

Multiple hot water scrubbings and rinses then fill with water from his main system and after 3 days test for copper if it is detectable repeat process.

Would bleach work???

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I would request this thread stays on topic.

Thanks
Kevin

24storm
07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
It was my understanding that copper leaches into the silicone but that could be wrong. I would try your suggestion and see if that works.

Keith

fkshiu
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Bleach won't do anything for heavy metals like copper.

I'm not sure the theory that heavy metals leech into silicone is a proven one, but if the person is adamant that they want to go reef and must use that particular tank then there is a product made by Seachem called Cuprisorb which is specifically designed to absorb heavy metals he can use. I've used it in the past and it works as advertised although it probably can't suck out the copper that is embedded in the silicone (if there is any in there).

Run the Cuprisorb in the tank for a few months without inverts while testing for copper. If everything remains at zero then try a few inverts. If that is successful then he can switch to using carbon which will also absorb heavy metals, just not at the same rate as the Cuprisorb resin (which is a lot more expensive than bulk carbon).

sharuq1
07-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I used a vinegar rinse on my 120g and a 33g (which is now a shrimp tank) both of which had Cu in them. I put the vinegar in the tank with RO and let the empty filter cycle it all night. After that I rinsed the tank with tap water, filled it with RO and used polyfilter in my canister. The tank tested 0 for Cu after that.

From reading(read it on RC) it is my understanding that Cu binds with Ca--hence getting rid of the Ca should get rid of the Cu. I don't recommend using a tank with Cu, just pointing out this method worked for me.

(Polyfilter claims to be able to filter out heavy metals from the water which is why I used it.)

michika
07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I've always heard and practiced the belief that copper is absorbed into the silicone. I've always stripped out the silicone on second hand tanks just in case they've had copper in them before.

EmilyB
07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I treated my large bowfront with copper when it was a fish only. Or maybe it was Cupramine, is that different? Anyway, I used a neutralizer of some kind. The tank was a successful reef tank, so it obviously worked. Twelve years ago though, so no can remember what it was called.....:redface:

Myka
07-23-2009, 12:34 AM
I've always heard and practiced the belief that copper is absorbed into the silicone. I've always stripped out the silicone on second hand tanks just in case they've had copper in them before.

Me too. I just use an exacto blade and trim it out, then reapply the silicone. I've only done this on sumps though, not displays. Not that that matters much I would think.

midgetwaiter
07-23-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure the theory that heavy metals leech into silicone is a proven one

I am sure it is not proven. Everybody has heard it's an issue but nobody has seen it be an issue. I've seen it NOT cause problems when I used a 20 that had been repeatedly dosed with copper as a sump for YEARS afterward. All I did was rinse it.

The best way to attack something like copper chemically is to precipitate it. Use kalk or sodium carbonate to get the pH to 12 and any free copper should precipitate as copper hydroxide. If you use kalk be aware you could be adding as much copper as you are potentially removing depending on it's purity. I am not sure about sodium carbonate in that regard.

Red Coral Aquariums
07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Some excellent feedback.
I suggested hot water ( in my understanding to soften up the silicone to enhance copper leaching if possible) using white vinegar as a cleaner with multiple soakings constantly replacing water. I was told that I would be kept up to date on the progress.
Thanks again
Kevin

michika
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I am sure it is not proven. Everybody has heard it's an issue but nobody has seen it be an issue. I've seen it NOT cause problems when I used a 20 that had been repeatedly dosed with copper as a sump for YEARS afterward. All I did was rinse it.

The best way to attack something like copper chemically is to precipitate it. Use kalk or sodium carbonate to get the pH to 12 and any free copper should precipitate as copper hydroxide. If you use kalk be aware you could be adding as much copper as you are potentially removing depending on it's purity. I am not sure about sodium carbonate in that regard.

Yes I have had it be an issue. I had a frag/qt tank at one point that I just set up and used after a vinegar cleaning. All the frags died in it for a period of 6 months before I took it down and replaced the silicone. Problem fixed itself. I also did get confirmation after going back to the original owner, that copper, not cuperamine, had been used in the tank.

midgetwaiter
07-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Yes I have had it be an issue. I had a frag/qt tank at one point that I just set up and used after a vinegar cleaning. All the frags died in it for a period of 6 months before I took it down and replaced the silicone. Problem fixed itself. I also did get confirmation after going back to the original owner, that copper, not cuperamine, had been used in the tank.

Were you able to detect copper with a test kit?

michika
07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I believe so. I did however not do the test myself, I brought the water to someone else to do.