PDA

View Full Version : Coral banded shrimp eat fish?

des_merc
07-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I have had fish diasappearing in our tank.

Are coral banded shrimp aggressive to the point of catching and eating fish???

Reading up on them seems to point to no. But I am starting to not believe it.

banditpowdercoat
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Mine is fine with fish. I would think it would have to be a pretty small fish for them to eat.

des_merc
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
I have had mine for 3 years now. 2 seperate tanks, no issues. The one I am concerned about has become very large and "runs" after anything that comes near.

danny zubot
07-24-2009, 03:08 AM
I had a coral banded shrimp eat a fish in an old tank. The shrimp was quite large though, and the fish was just a little guy. A Chromis I think. I'm not sure if the shrimp went out of its way to try and catch the fish or not. The fish very well could have been sleeping or sick, but the shrimp saw an opportunity, and took it. All I saw was the shrimp eating it.

marie
07-24-2009, 03:39 AM
I had a large coral banded shrimp that went after anything that moved. In the end I put him in with my clownfish who ate shrimp...it was a match made in heaven :lol:

des_merc
07-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Similar story. I have seen it with almost all the fish that died. Good scavenger or psychopathic killer!:twised:

Gonna set up my crab traps today, see what i find, but if its nothing I gotta do something with the coral banded.