PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Laid Eggs!

RedCoralEdmonton
07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
So I recieved a common octopus 2 weeks ago, and for the last 3 days i noticed she hasnt moved from the top corner of the tank, upon further inspection i notice she has laid eggs....does anyoen have any experience raising these little suckers? Ive read a bit about it online lately and it doesnt seem too hard, they did say that because she has been caught from the wild not too long ago that there is a really good chance the eggs are fertile, and although i am not impressed that the mother will soon die, i am quite excited to try out rearing these little guys.... Also i was reading that they lay hundreds of eggs so usually people give a bunch away so if anyone wanted to try their hand at raising some let me know.....

So if anyone has any advise on how to go about raising them, all advise is appreciated.

Steve

michika
07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Hit up tonmo.com, the Octopus News Magazine Online for help and tips.

And start documenting it all, take photos, take notes, do it all. Everything that you can to document it can help you and your octopus later on. Plus its something very cool to follow.

RedCoralEdmonton
07-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi thank you for the link, although that was where I was reading, I was more interested in seeing if there was someone locally that has tried this before, I will be documenting everything mostly due to my memory failing at life LOL

Steve

Nihoa
07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
this guy has a decent thread about raising cuttlefish. not the same i know but the basics should still applu.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=342219&highlight=cuttlefish

no_bs
07-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Octopus "proof" your tank. They can get out if the smallest crack, 1/16" or smaller. We had one for about 5 mounths, Awsome little critters. Extreamly smart and strong. We had to build a lid for the tank after we saw what we saw.