PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing red bugs.

calgaryreefer
07-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first time coming across this very bad bug, I started to notice red bugs in some of my corals the last little while and thought I could contain it, but seems like its getting out of control now, can anyone please help me get rid of these bugs.

Thanks a million in advance.

whatcaneyedo
07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Following this article worked for me http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

calgaryreefer
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the link, I've actually read that, but I am not sure how I can obtain some interceptors. Anyone have any experiences getting these interceptors, or have any kicking around that I can buy off them.

Thanks.

Jason McK
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
The easiest way to get interceptor is to take a vet all the article you can find on line. Like the reef.org article and let them read it. Then odds are they will give you a prescription.
If you plan on keeping SPS corals it's best to get that relationship with a vet now so that your not scrambling every time you need some. Trust me you will need it again

J

parkinsn
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
My parents dog has a vet app. next week and i have asked mom to ask the vet if she can get some interceptor for me to have on stand by just in case. She has been going to the same vet for 15 + years so she has a pretty good relationship with them so i hope there wont be a problem. if you want i can shoot you a price on it when she gets back to me.

mark
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
The easiest way to get interceptor is to take a vet all the article you can find on line. Like the reef.org article and let them read it. Then odds are they will give you a prescription.
If you plan on keeping SPS corals it's best to get that relationship with a vet now so that your not scrambling every time you need some. Trust me you will need it again

J

basically what I did (made a appointment and brought along a bunch printouts). Was sort of surprised she read them all before giving me the Interceptor.

calgaryreefer
07-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Hi everyone, so I did some research on the canreef and someone has suggested to go to the vet on 50th ave and 4th street NW, talked to the docs there and they are aware of the treatment, so anyone needing some pills can try out that place, they seem to know about it and will dispense the meds.

What I did:

I got a large pill for 50 to 100lb dogs, the 23mg ones.

crashed it up and divided to 4 even portions, oh yeah my tank is a 125gallon with a 45 gallon sump, i would say tank is at least 30% rock, and sump is about 40% full, so I estimated to be around 115 gallons of actual water, each pill is suppose to be good for 400 gallons, that would mean I put a bit less than the recommended amount.

Before I started, I took out all the carbon, but left everything else on, did the dose at 11pm, starting to monitor it, everything looked fine, left it until 8pm the following day, thats like 21hours, and everything looks fine, shrimps and snails all alive, corals are all out, fishes look fine, nothing unusual happening except I no longer see any more red bugs on my corals, did a 15 gallon water change, and added new carbon and phosphate remover, turned everything back on and now just waiting for any other surprises that may happen, but so far so good, if anyone needs any help, your welcome to msg me.

Thanks everyone.