PDA

View Full Version : How long will a Royal Gramma hide?

BlueAbyss
07-21-2009, 04:15 AM
I acquired a 1.5 - 2 inch Royal Gramma about a week ago. In the bag, the temperature had dropped to 70 degrees over about 11 hours. I acclimated him relatively slowly, around an hour... warming up to 80 degrees. In retrospect, that was too fast... too late now, and good thing this is a 'hardy' species...

Anyhow, when introduced to the tank, he went straight into the rock. Found a cave at the back of the large rock, and hasn't moved much since. Last night, he was sitting in the lower cave under the same rock (the caves connect at the back and run up the back to the top of the rock). I observed that his left eye is clouded, and he seems to have some damage on that side of his face. I attribute this to the fact that he was attempting to wedge himself into the corner of the bag that he was in... whoever bagged him in Saskatoon must have forgotten to tape the corners of the bag. He seems to be healing (I noticed the damage the day after he was in the tank, but never noticed the clouded eye). The tank was transparent all the way around until today, when I put some blue paper in behind the back to hopefully make him more comfortable. I have noticed him eat some of the mysis and white shrimp I've been feeding, so he is still eating... not sure if he ate today though.

My question is, how long will this fish stay holed up back there? It's difficult to impossible to target feed him in that particular spot though the current through there is relatively brisk, and brings some of the food through there. Will he ever decide to cruise the tank, or will my fish never venture more than an inch or two from his cave?

my2rotties
07-21-2009, 04:50 AM
Royal grammas love living in caves and rock walls and don't swim around very much. Mine was always at the back in the rock wall. Plus when fish are new they are pretty scared and hide away to watch and observe their new home and see whom they live with. In nature fish hide when frightened and I think it's the same in a fish tank as well. I always give my fish about 3-4 days to get used to their new home.

BlueAbyss
07-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Okay, well, it's been a week, I hope he decides to come out soon. I do agree with what you're saying, it's just difficult to see if he's eating in the back of the tank.

my2rotties
07-21-2009, 05:15 AM
I hardly ever saw mine in all the rock work. They usually stay close to their little cave and don't venture out much beyond that. Sometimes it really sucks getting fish like this and always worry about them. Hopefully he is eating. My marine betta hides all the time, and I never see that fish eat anything ever. He must be getting something, and its not my smaller fish or shrimp. I have had him forever now, and try to target feed when he does not hide as soon as I look at him. I hope your guy comes out sooner or later... you never know. Don't you just love buying fish that you hardly ever see... mind you it seems to be such a special treat when they do poke their heads out from time to time.:wink:

Okay, well, it's been a week, I hope he decides to come out soon. I do agree with what you're saying, it's just difficult to see if he's eating in the back of the tank.

BlueAbyss
07-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Don't you just love buying fish that you hardly ever see... mind you it seems to be such a special treat when they do poke their heads out from time to time.:wink:

I would have been better off with a damsel :lol: No, I'm just kidding... although I'm thinking adding a second fish to the tank would help the situation. Or changing the orientation of the rock... I may do this anyhow since the rock pivots. I've been considering this for a week already, I don't want to lose any livestock to a crushing incident.

But you're right, he may just like that spot. If so, I hope he does okay.

BlueAbyss
07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, we no longer have to worry about it, he was dead on the sand today around noon. RIP Lucky... I've just killed my first marine fish. Time for a round of parameter testing.

my2rotties
07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Sometimes this stuff just happens. He may not have been able to adjust to captive life... you never know. Sorry about the fish tough, it sucks.

Well, we no longer have to worry about it, he was dead on the sand today around noon. RIP Lucky... I've just killed my first marine fish. Time for a round of parameter testing.

BlueAbyss
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmm, I blame how he was bagged... the corners of the bag weren't taped (something they do even at Walmart to prevent damage to your fish) and he spent the 11 hours in the bag wedging himself into the corners.

It does suck, but this gives me an opportunity. Next I'll try a pair of firefish.

JDigital
07-22-2009, 10:01 PM
A week??? That's nothing! :lol: I've had my royal gramma for months now and she just started coming and swimming in the past 2 weeks... and is out even more after I moved my clowns to another tank..

BlueAbyss
07-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Cool thanks J, you just gave me some insight into these fish... from what I can tell, this is common with these guys, they are rock dwelling plankton feeders that dart out to grab a food item, and return to their hidey hole. Good to know that it can take months before they feel really comfortable.

I phoned Bayside today, spoke with Colby, and he was super cool about the whole thing. He'll give me a replacement or the equivalent credit... awesome! So, I'll probably be replacing him... I really liked his colors and the way he moved. Almost grouper-like in action.

I won't be so worried about the next one hiding so much... now that I know someone didn't see their's for months :lol: