PDA

View Full Version : Gurgling POC overflow

Doug
07-20-2009, 01:44 AM
SO, first time I run my 30 cube w/ its new sump and stand, the old sand leached something or the pump I was using did. Anyways, lost several of my sps. Basically all my Snappy frags. :sad:

So moved the rest to my 20g before I lost it all. Took my time and redid lots of work on my stand/sump and cube. One was dumping the overflow I had build and going back to Duraso. {I have no room for a Herbie}.

Now I have been building and using Duraso,s since Rich first showed us how. So this time, I run the cube for 3 days on fresh water first to check everything out. Just dandy. Duraso is as quiet as can be and works like a charm. :biggrin:

So, finally moved my stock back to my cube today and the overflow stinks. :lol: same problem others have. Runs fine then sucks down and gurgles then fills up again and so on and so on.

What the heck. :twised: Fresh water is different than salt for an overflow. Sheez, all these years using one and I have never had the problems others mention with them, until now. Is that because I read about them or what. :lol:

I quit. :mrgreen:

Doug
07-22-2009, 01:07 AM
So fine. Nobody cares how I fixed it. Gonna tell you anyways. :lol:

Simply removed the air tube controller thingy majigy that everone says to put in the top air hole to adjust it. Yea, that worked well. :lol:

Once removed, the open 1/8th air hole works just fine for my pump. Nice and quiet or quiet enough.

Perhaps one needs a larger hole and larger sized air controller to allow for more air if needed ??

mark
07-22-2009, 01:26 AM
well in a skimmer salt behaves different than fresh so maybe so with a Durso.

Either when tuned my Durso, started with the water surging and gradually enlarged holes until the surging stopped, but still a little noisy. Kept going bigger then all of a sudden, quiet.

With each 2" Durso can fairly quietly flow between 500 and 1000gph and the hole size is only slightly bigger than 1/8".

banditpowdercoat
07-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Whoo, we knew, if left alone long enough, you would figure it out :D

But ya, SW and FW will flow different, just like in a skimmer

Doug
07-22-2009, 01:36 AM
LOL Dan.

The surging noise is something else Mark. Now thats enough to make one go back to sumpless. :lol: Guess I figured the air hole w/controller was large enough but apparently only for fresh water. :lol:

mark
07-22-2009, 02:22 AM
once tuned there should be no more surging. now the gurgling into the sump no way around that with a Durso (or Stockman or Hofer as all draw air). Truly silent, need to go to the Herbie (no air, no noise)

Doug
07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Not bad in the sump. I have it below the water level, in a filter sock. Can hear it but fairly quiet, and when the skimmers running cant hear it at all. :lol: Now thats a problem in itself. Going to build an air silencer soon and if that does not work going to buy a new one thats silent. :D

banditpowdercoat
07-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Which skimmer is that, Doug?

Doug
07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Its just the large model Coralife skimmer. Skims well, esp. for my small tank but pump vibrates and hums noticeable. Perhaps once I silence the air intake it may be better. The price was right, {a trade} and I was the skimmers original owner, so figured I would give it a try.

Hmm. A nice quiet BK mini may do the trick. :D