PDA

View Full Version : Ich =( Help

365seasons
07-20-2009, 01:16 AM
So, unfortunately, we did not quarantine our black and white banded fish, and about 3 days later, it's got ich. Covered in fine white spots, but seems to be the only one in the tank that has it (spare our yellow tang has a little bit of spotting on her fins). The b&w was fine this morning, so it must have just come up. Took all the rockwork out of the tank (again!!!) to catch him. Don't have a quarantine tank, so we put him in a bucket, set up a heater and a powerhead in it, and added half a packet of API super ick cure.

In reading up, it says that cooling the tank temperature helps, as ick can't survive in it, and in other material, it says that heating up the tank is beneficial as it speeds up the parasites life.

I know that it is probably in the water, but seeing as we don't have a QT tank, it's hard to know what to do, as we've got corals in the main tank, and don't want them killed by the medication.

I know it's our own fault for not quarantining but if there is anyone who can give us some help or advice, it'd be muchly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

simplycoral
07-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi,

I have used "ICH Attack" by Kordon; successfully in the past.. It is reef safe.

I had to double up the dose though. Might be worth a try.

Regards, Simon

Youngster Dan
07-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I have also used "Ich Attack" ...not successfully.

IMO the only way to treat ich is with copper or hyposalinity. You will need to get a QT if you want to "cure" the ich.