PDA

View Full Version : Loose Zoanthids

Ryan
07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Alright so I bought a colony of Zoanthids from a member on here and super glued them into a rock, and some of the pieces I could cut off onto frag plugs. Well now the Zoanthids are releasing themselves from the glue and drifting around my tank. I am wondering whats the best way to get them onto a plug or a piece of Live Rock?

Could I fill a container with rubble and put the loose zoanthids in there and they will attach themselves to the rubble?

Snaz
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I have had limited success isolating floating polyps with rubble hoping they attach themselves. I have had better luck with regluing the loose polyps with super glue gel onto rubble or rock.

Ryan
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Alright. Thats what I used to glue them in the first place and they let themselves go. This is why I asked it there was another option.

Does the plug have a differance? I have some clear plastic ones, disks, and aragonite plugs.

Zoaelite
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I just let loose polyps float around and attach themselves, mind you I have allot of loose polyps :neutral:.

BlueAbyss
07-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Could you 'net' them to a rock like I've seen people do with Xenia? I mean, hold them against the rock until they attach themselves?

Zoaelite
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Could you 'net' them to a rock like I've seen people do with Xenia? I mean, hold them against the rock until they attach themselves?

Doesn't work to well with Zoas as lack of flow = fungus/ dead zoas. If your really set on attaching them to the live rock just use super glue. Just make sure its on the base of the polyp, hold for about 15 seconds let set for another 2 mins and put it back in the water.
Levi

Navarchus
07-20-2009, 02:09 AM
First of all a word of advice- be careful handballing them. Some are very toxic so be aware. If you have any open cuts don’t touch them, if you are fragging them use protecting glasses.

I had a good successes gluing zeo with superglue gel. I put some on the frag base and glue the polyp, letting it fixed out of water for few minutes. Now if you locating them in a good spot in the tank were they will feel good, they wont detached themselves.