PDA

View Full Version : bubble coral in SPS tank.

Skimmerking
07-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok I have many SPS in my tank 60x24x24 and i have 3 open brains in my tank on the bottom. i was lookng at adding a huge bubble coral to my tank for the clowns, however with the flow would the flow is that going to bother the coral. i have 2x mp40w in there with a mag 12 for a return. I have a feeling that im going back to LPS and softies and only going to keep a selected few sps .

WOW sps are taking a hell of a time growing and i think i perfer movment in the tank.:redface:

Lance
07-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Mike, I had the same problem. I received a large bubble coral from Marie and I was worried about the flow being too much for it. I put it in a spot where it was protected a little and hoped for the best.
It pouted for 3-4 days before fully expanding, but is now doing fine. Good Luck with yours.

TrailFish
07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I've got a med to largish bubble in my mixed sps and it is doing fine as well. As long as it is not subjected to direct flow it should be ok. Turbulent flow seems to be ok with mine.

Tom R
07-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I have found that most of the LPS that I put in my SPS tank do OK. If the flow is too much for them they just do not open quite as much. I have found that most of my SPS do not like the action of my Tunze Wavebox more so than the masive flow. I have one grape frogspawn that does not like the flow at all. I have moved it from one spot to another and have yet to find a spot to its liking. The only other problem to watch for is the extension of feeding arms, they will sting any SPS thats within their reach.

Tom R

Myka
07-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't be too sure the clowns will want to be hosted by the Bubble coral. Personally, I haven't had clowns hosted by anything other than anemones, and I have had quite a variety of LPS and clowns. :) My bubble coral is huge when it is in lower flow, and stays smaller when it is in higher flow. As long as the flesh isn't pulling where it joins to the skeleton it will be ok.

Tom R
07-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't be too sure the clowns will want to be hosted by the Bubble coral. Personally, I haven't had clowns hosted by anything other than anemones, .

I have had Clowns host in a large Toadstool and I currently have Clowns hosting in a bed of Anthelia.

Tom R

parkinsn
07-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I have had a bubble in my SPS tank for almost 2 years now, I keep it on the substrate with about 80-90 times turn over. Before I put my carpet in my clown would try to host it but the bubble never liked it and would close up when he would go in it. Its seems to do ok, its about tripled since i got it

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr41/parkinsn/IMG_1695.jpg

Doug
07-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Oh, they will host in a bubble coral. :D

Of course does not mean any certain pair would or would not.

Skimmerking
07-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Myka My clowns have hosted my huge toadstool leather and my other bubble corals I had one of my clowns host a Orange CAP that i had my clowns are hosting my open brains now..
when clowns are in a safe envoirment they will start looking for a place to live.

Myka
07-20-2009, 02:37 AM
I always hear of everyone's clowns being hosted by this coral or that, but mine have never done so. I've had a few pairs over the years too. Maybe mine are always ignorant. :lol: Maybe Ocellaris are more likely? I've never kept Ocellaris.

marie
07-20-2009, 03:32 AM
My clarkii has over the years hosted in a toadstool, gsp, hair algae, xenia...she tried a Hawaiian feather duster but the duster wanted nothing to do with her

banditpowdercoat
07-20-2009, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't be too sure the clowns will want to be hosted by the Bubble coral. Personally, I haven't had clowns hosted by anything other than anemones, and I have had quite a variety of LPS and clowns. :) My bubble coral is huge when it is in lower flow, and stays smaller when it is in higher flow. As long as the flesh isn't pulling where it joins to the skeleton it will be ok.
I have 2 clowns that host in a toadstool leather as well.

freddy
07-20-2009, 04:35 AM
I just recentley bought a marron clown from j&l went immediatley to my bubble coral and hasn't left,won't let anyone near it,attacks my hand if it gets to close while i'm cleaning the tank.

Lance
07-20-2009, 06:13 AM
My two Ocellaris host in a large Torch Coral and my two Fire Clowns host in a Bubble Coral. I think one of my Fire Clowns must have gotten stung in the mouth as his lips were all swollen and pale.

freddy
07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I have noticed the skin on my marroon has pale patches,I was thinking it was from the bubble coral.

Doug
07-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I always hear of everyone's clowns being hosted by this coral or that, but mine have never done so. I've had a few pairs over the years too. Maybe mine are always ignorant. :lol: Maybe Ocellaris are more likely? I've never kept Ocellaris.

Yea, mine were Blue Striped Cinnamon,s. Actually they lived there with a pair of Orange Striped Skunks, until I lost one of the skunks and sold the other.

My 6yr. old percs would not move into anything, IMO. They only like and breed in their pvc pipe home. Anytime they are between tanks and dont have their pipe, they look lost and wont breed.

I have seen Mikes pair of percs though. They would move into anything wavey. :lol:

Marlin65
07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
My large maroon killed my bubble rubbed it to death and the small one likes my hammer.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/hikingtrigger/maleclown.jpg