PDA

View Full Version : sun coral

bowkry
07-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I got a nice sun coral with 8 heads 2 weeks ago, It has been eating since day 2 but the polyps only started to open fully 2 days ago and at night, when the lights come on they close up. Is there any way to get them to open in the day?

scherzo
07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Where is it placed in the tank? I think Sun Corals don't like very much light. I know someone who puts his under an overhang in the "shade" and it likes it.

justinl
07-18-2009, 04:56 PM
they aren't photosynthetic and mainly feed at night. what you describe is normal. You can however train it to open during the day; just feed it right when it first opens up, and feed earlier and earlier until you are eventually feeding during the day. it takes a while.

Zoaelite
07-18-2009, 05:04 PM
they aren't photosynthetic and mainly feed at night. what you describe is normal. You can however train it to open during the day; just feed it right when it first opens up, and feed earlier and earlier until you are eventually feeding during the day. it takes a while.

Agreed, takes some time but you can train your coral. Most of my LPS actually open up nice and big as soon as I turn the pumps off. My Aussie acan even opens up as soon as I stick my hands in the tank. Just keep target feeding it and eventually you can get the polyps open during the day. If all else fails buy a Rhyzo!
Levi

bowkry
07-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Its now on the sand bed of my 8 gal bio with stock lights