PDA

View Full Version : Return pump question

Midknight
07-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Ok, getting real close to getting my mom's tank ready.
Will be a 75G with 30G sump.

I slapped together a pic with Sketchup to show my thoughts.:idea:
Was hoping to run a return pump with about 1000 to 1200 GPH as the SCWD says that it can handle up to 1400 GPH max, so figured I would play it safe.

It is the smaller SCWD so has ¾ inch ends so that will also limit the return pump I use.

Now as the image shows I was hoping to run flex hose from the pump to a ball valve then to the SCWD and then flex to the 2 T connections.
Does anybody see any problems with this configuration:question: (other than the pipes don’t connect properly in the pic’s) :lol:

Also what would somebody recommend for a good (and quite :wink: ) pump for this?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/Midknight3d/Tank%20build%203%20-%20moms%20tanks/Question.jpg

Thanks everybody for all there help with this over the past year or two or three... :redface:

golf nut
07-18-2009, 01:04 PM
You are going to see a fair amount of reduction in flow due to the mechanics of it and then a further reduction because of the 2 tees to each line, you would be far better to run the SCWD as high as possible and start by using 2 feeds only first and then split later once you have seen the results.

always have reductions or interference in plumbing as far away from the source as possible.

new but handy
07-18-2009, 02:12 PM
also if you have the room try to use 2- 45's instead of a 90 or a long sweep 90. every little bit helps

byee
07-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Great concept.

I have to agree change to 90 deg elbows to 45 deg elbows to increase the flow.

Tell me how it works out for you.

aquatechy
07-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Unfortuneatly, most pumps available to the aquarium market produce a low hum. If you want absolute silence, get the poseidon pump (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-ps3/Poseidon+PS3+External+Water+Pump.html)

only thing is that they are water cooled (part of the reason for the silence), and will boost ur water temp by about 3-5 degrees. If you can get by that, thats what i would reccomend.

If not, the Reeflo pumps are good. I use one, and its pretty quiet, producing a very low hum. (I reccomend the Dart model) you can always turn it down.

Myka
07-20-2009, 12:57 AM
My tank is roughly the same size (90 with 12 or so gallons of sump and fuge), and I am using a Poseidon PS3 as a return. It is dead silent, but will raise temp of tank as previously mentioned. This pump produces about 700 gph at 4' head, and i'm even stealing about 100 gph from it for the fuge. This gives me a little under 6x turnover through the sump which is ideal. Most people recommend 3-10x turnover through the sump, but 5-7 is the majority. There is still oldschool thinkers out there that push for the 10-15x turnover which imo is silly because you risk microbubbles infiltrating the display tank which is no good at all.

If you're wanting more flow in the tank consider using your concept with a closed loop pump instead of the return. The way you have it now, even with a 1200 gph pump you will not get a huge amount of flow out of those 4 return lines.

Also be aware that using a SCWD reduces the pump's output by about 30%. Although much pricier, the Oceans Motions devices don't do that.

I will also suggest using 45s instead of 90s where possible.

golf nut
07-20-2009, 02:10 AM
If not, the Reeflo pumps are good. I use one, and its pretty quiet, producing a very low hum. (I reccomend the Dart model) you can always turn it down.

It cannot be turned down to run a SCWD, it will just boil the water.

Midknight
07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info and ideas.
Any thought on using flex hose instead of PVC with this?

mseepman
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
One thing to look at if you don't already have the SCWD is the new improved 1" SCWD. Take a look at their site...http://www.3iqventures.com/oneinch.html

They have fixed the number one problem with these which was the lack of access. They have also improved flow. Pricing isn't bad compared to what we pay for most motion devices now in the hobby.

Just a thought though.

Midknight
07-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Yes but I have had the other one laying around for a while and wanted to find a use for it. :wink:

mseepman
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I use one of the regular SCWD's myself and it does a great job. I know that it cuts my flow down a lot from my return (Quietone4000) but I can't really complain.