PDA

View Full Version : Tank at 30 degrees

Oxymoron
07-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Tank made it up to 30 degrees today before ithe halides shut down. How close am I to getting into trouble.

tlo
07-18-2009, 04:58 AM
my tank overheated a few weeks ago to 30. It was a pump problem, so it never got a chance to cool down during the night. It was like like that for probably 24 -36 hours b/f I realized what was causing it. I lost a chalice, and an sps frag and some of the other corals bleached. So, from my experience, I would start to be a little concerned about that.

bignose
07-18-2009, 05:00 AM
I hit that temperature before in my tank. I had a sponge die on me nothing else, hopefully your as lucky as me. I put a small fan on top of my tank to control the heat.

banditpowdercoat
07-18-2009, 05:06 AM
my tank hit 94F once. heater malfunction. Lost cleaner shrimp and all my LPS

Oxymoron
07-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks ill have to figure out a solution. I was hoping a max of 30 might be tolerable.

Delphinus
07-18-2009, 05:11 AM
30 ought to be OK, it's kind of on the threshold though, you don't really want it any higher IMO - but bear in mind that the speed of temperature change can sometimes be worse than the actual peak value itself - getting up there, and coming back down.

Fans aimed at the water surface to increase evaporation work really well to keep temperature in check.

littlefish88
07-18-2009, 05:56 PM
When I had my upgraded my lights during spring and the temperature in summer gradually got warmer, I didnt notice but my tank got warmer until I noticed it one day that my tank was at 30 degrees on the average day. Nothing in my tank was really affected that I could notice but I gradually got it back to desired temperature. I guess the occupants got adapted to the temperature if its gradual enough but definitely bring it back down.

Littlefish88

Myka
07-18-2009, 06:00 PM
30 ought to be OK, it's kind of on the threshold though, you don't really want it any higher IMO - but bear in mind that the speed of temperature change can sometimes be worse than the actual peak value itself - getting up there, and coming back down.

Fans aimed at the water surface to increase evaporation work really well to keep temperature in check.

Zactly.

sharuq1
07-19-2009, 03:27 AM
If it gets too hot in my tank I do the fan thing, but it also works to freeze bottles of RO in a pop bottle and throw it in the sump. Maybe try that on the super hot days. If you have several in the freezer you can just keep changing them out during the hottest part of the day.

Zoaelite
07-19-2009, 03:39 AM
If it gets too hot in my tank I do the fan thing, but it also works to freeze bottles of RO in a pop bottle and throw it in the sump. Maybe try that on the super hot days. If you have several in the freezer you can just keep changing them out during the hottest part of the day.

Great Idea! Never thought of this.