PDA

View Full Version : wow that was fast (RTN?)

mark
07-18-2009, 04:00 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/milli.jpg

The flesh is just sloughing off and looked fine last night and can't say I noticed an problems afternoon.

Problems started a few of months ago when had one type of Xenia started to shrink (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52635) but everything else okay. Then a couple of months ago some die off on a single SPS colony but it's be holding on since I put this thread up (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53210), and now the Milli today.

Sort of sucks.

Skimmin
07-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Wow! Sorry to hear that Mark. I'm wondering if there is some underlying parameter issue. I know you use R/O... Hmmm. What about trying ultralith or zeovit? I know it's not a solution to all problems but my understanding is that it 'scrubs' your water and then you add back in what you 'need' based on what you have for corals.

fishytime
07-18-2009, 02:21 PM
RTN sucks man, sorry to hear.
Might be to late now, but you may be able to save it if you crazy glue the edge of the living and dead tissue.

Navarchus
07-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you use some kind of buffer?
Such a fast bleaching and detachment of the tissue" The flesh is just sloughing off Is usually caused by a sharp change in alk.

mark
07-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Well just tested the usual and nothing seems out of line. Not manually dosing anything as use a reactor and it's behaving (not spiking alk). Alk 10.2 dKH, Ca 410ppm, NO3 usually zero but now 0.2 but then did just loose a large colony.

Zeo or other, not sure if worth trying as thought people used more to get the colours than prevent RTN.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/P7190042.jpg

fishoholic
07-20-2009, 03:00 AM
That sucks, sorry you lost your coral :sad:

Lance
07-20-2009, 06:39 AM
What the hell?
I can't believe how many posts there have been lately on RTN. All posters state that water parameters are fine and that there is no apparent reason for the losses. If I remember correctly, last summer there also seemed to be more coral deaths than usual. I wonder if the warmer temperatures are causing more problems than we are aware of. Maybe not so much how warm the tank gets but how fast the temperature rises. I've seen quite a few posts where the member has stated that his/her tank temp rises considerably from morning to afternooon. eg: 78 to 84 in 5 or 6 hours. That is a pretty substantial increase in a short period. Maybe I'm way off base here but something is definitely going on.
Mark. Sorry for your loss.

mark
07-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I haven't run a temperature plot off my controller (will this afternoon) but between central air and the controller, controlling a heater and evap fans I'm fairly steady.

Read about crashes after a few years (old tank syndromes?) and DSB suspected but I'm BB.

This keeps up I'll have room for a Fish Only tank (trying to think positive)

Doug
07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Yea agreed. That really sucks Mark. As Lance said, what the heck is going on with out sps colonies? Sure makes one scratch their head and sometimes wonder why we never stuck with nice wavy softies.

mark
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Yea agreed. That really sucks Mark. As Lance said, what the heck is going on with out sps colonies? Sure makes one scratch their head and sometimes wonder why we never stuck with nice wavy softies.

Agree with you there. Shortly after I first set this tank up, it was overrun with Xenia swaying from the 4way thinking why do people do SPS. Guess the SPS are like crack, get that taste...

Delphinus
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hear Mark.

Not sure if I understood what you meant about Zeo? If you meant that it didn't do a whole lot to prevent RTN then I would agree, I tried in vain to use Zeo as a mechanism to prevent inexplicable SPS losses but it did not make a difference. Water looked fantastically clear and PO4 and NO3 were completely zero, but coral losses were exactly the same before and after.

Unfortunately this is the nature of SPS. Sometimes they just kick off for no apparent reason. :( Hope that it's just the one colony for you and not a 4 year nightmare like what I've had to deal with (I wouldn't wish what I've been through on anyone!!)

mark
07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
my comment re: Zeo was in response to Skimmin's suggestion.

I'm not using Zeo or other and unsure if it would make a difference anyways and your experience seems to imply such.

Bryan
07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
That's why they call it RTN (RAPID Tissue Necrosis)

StirCrazy
07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
this is an every summer occurance, heat waves come and people report loss. the best way to prevent summer RTN is to buy a chiller. I used to swing feom 78 to 85 all the time with no problems but when I started getting up to 88/89 then I would have problems, and at 104 you lose your whole tank:neutral:

My chiller kept the temp swing to 2 degrees all year and no more problems

Steve

mark
07-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Have the tank on a controller connected to a heater and evap fan. Sample the temp every 5 sec, average for a minute then log the max/min (and average) for the hour.

over a 78 day period going from the lowest low, to highest high the difference was only 2.6°C, with the standard deviation hour to hour of 0.3°

Not thinking the temperature.