PDA

View Full Version : Adding new Bangaii to existing one

Myka
07-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Anyone had success with this??

As some of you may know or remember, I had a breeding pair of Bangaii until my Bubble coral ate the male leaving me with just the female. She's been on her own for 3 months or so. Well, I bought what appears to be a (barely) mature captive bred male on Tuesday. He is much smaller than her. While he was acclimating the female could see him, and was VERY interested in him. I wasn't sure if this was good interest or bad interest, but assumed probably bad!! By the time the acclimation was over she didn't seem so interested anymore, so I figured maybe she will be alright with him, so I let him go in the tank.

Bad move!! She proceeded to chase him around the tank for the next hour at which point he jammed himself in some live rock to get away from her. So I scopped him out and put him into one of those floating containers designed for guppy fry. It's pretty small, but I put a bit of rubble and some chaeto in there to try to make him feel at home. So he's been in there ever since.

The female is still harassing him, flaring at him, trying to bully him through the plastic. So he's all stressed out, not sticking up for himself at all, and basically looking a bit listless. He hasn't eaten yet either. He's supposed to be keen on PE Mysis, but I think he's too stressed to eat.

So...I have a 10 gallon tank sitting empty that I could slap together a little space for him. I'm thinking if I get him eating in there, and comfortable then I can put some egg crate to divide it, and add the female to the other side. If I have no other ideas by this evening, I will set up the 10 gallon for him.

But before I do that, anyone have any other ideas that might work better?

i have crabs
07-18-2009, 12:59 AM
you will usually only have a problem if they are both males, but maybe if there is a big size difference that could be a problem also,

Myka
07-18-2009, 01:20 AM
That's what I was thinking too. She's just being a nasty cow instead of a splendid Bangaii! :lol: I am positive the existing one is a female since I could tell my breeding pair apart from each other, and I know the Bubble coral at the male. If anything the new one may be female, so it's possible I have two females, but the new one does look male. Who knows, it can be difficult with these guys. My female is so distracted with harassing the new male in the container that she's not eating either.:mad:

Carmen
07-18-2009, 02:05 AM
I had a problem with 2 wrasses much like what you are having. Original wrasse chased the ne one til he hid and could NEVER come out. I removed the initial wrasse and put him in the sump for 3 days to allow the newbie a chance to settle in and start eating. Then reintroduced the original and never had a problem after that.
You could try that but there are no guarantees I suppose that the move wouldn't totally stress the original Bangaai.
This way though it gives the "weaker" newbie a chance to establish his territory before she is added back. She will have likely forgotten her "territory" and be more likely to accept him.
Good Luck.:wink:

i have crabs
07-18-2009, 03:33 AM
you usually can tell easily by the jaw once you know the difference, its very slight but once their older its easy to tell

Myka
07-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Carmen, good idea! I will try that. I think that's a better idea than moving them into a 10 gallon.

i have crabs: I know how to tell the difference, you're right that it's usually fairly easy provided they are well mature. The problem is that with Bangaiis all being captive bred now you don't usually find mature specimens in the store. They are usually still juveniles that aren't mature enough to show their sex. The one I bought is a bit bigger than usual store size, and looks like it could be developing a larger jawline, but he's not big enough for a positive ID. I'm not 100% convinced it's a male.

Myka
07-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Ok, I changed the fishies around. The female is in the container now. Now that she's in the container, and I can get a good look at her (she always hides in the tank so tough to look) I'm starting to question her femininity!! :eek:

When my breeding pair was still together and I could only see one at a time it was tough to tell if it was the male or the female, but when they were side by side it was easier, although not astoundingly obvious. So now I'm questioning myself. Oi!

EDIT: I just went back and looked at pics I had of my breeding pair, and compared the spots on the one that's left...and IT'S THE MALE!!!!!!! :mad: Why didn't I think of doing that earlier???!! I'm pretty much totally unsure whether the new one is male or female. I'm leaning towards male...but at this point... :question:

I am SOOOOOO mad at myself for not looking at pictures before to determine which one was eaten by the Bubble Coral. I have searched for the last 3 months for a new male for my "female", and it took quite a bit of screwing around to get this new one here. Oi!!!

Le Sigh.

Zoaelite
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Keeping reef fish is like mixing unknown chemicals, you never know whats really going to happen. Will Bangaii's change sex like clown fish? If not perhaps you could keep it as a Polyandrous group by getting one female? I have never had luck with the Bangaii's so I'm just shooting some ideas out there for you. Could always try a trade in? What ever the solution is GL with it!
Levi

Myka
07-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Levi! I wish it were as simple as them changing sex, but no they don't. They are born a certain sex, and they won't change. Two male Bangaiis will fight to the death. Two females "may" coexist peacefully, but that's kinda 50/50. A pair will coexist very well, and do much better as a mated pair than singly.

mike31154
07-19-2009, 03:43 AM
If it's any consolation, you are not alone. I had purchased what I thought was a female Mandarin Dragonet for my male but it turns out I now have two males in the tank! After I discovered my screw up I went back to the LFS and asked if I could trade the critter in. After a little hhm haa, they said ok, but it's a moot point since I'm unable to catch the little bugger anyhow. Too much LR and I'm in no mood to re-aquascape my tank at the moment. It will have to wait until I start my next build. Thankfully they're staying out of each other's hair for the moment. The newbie is a juvi and very much smaller than my original resident. I had heard/read that you can't keep two male Mandarins in the same tank and was quite concerned. After a bit of flak from my Blue Devil Damselfish, he has settled in nicely. I suspect that once the juvi gets larger, the power struggle may begin. Need to get that new tank going and separate them in the process. For now it's all good, they're both browsing the tank and keeping themselves well fed. Hope things turn out ok with the Bangais. That dilemma along with your cracked sump seems to be making for a frustrating time lately... don't worry, be happy and this too shall pass.

Myka
07-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Luckily, I designed my live rock with catching fish in mind (as well as open swimming space), so I can catch fish at any time without too much struggle. This has already turned out to be quite handy!! :D I want to add a pair of Mandarins to my tank later on as well. I hope yours stay out of eachother's hair until you get it sorted out. At least they're easier to sex!!

Oh yes, this and the cracked sump = annoyance at reef. :lol:

mike31154
07-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I thought I had the little guy ID'd as a girl at the LFS. Watched 'her' swim around for a good 20 minutes at the LFS to get a good look at the dorsal fin, which helps sex them. There were several more in other tanks at the LFS and I'm sure one was a female but it had a little fin damage so I opted for the one I have now. While it appeared 'she' extended 'her' dorsal it was actually still a little folded over so I didn't see the long spike denoting it as a male. I should have waited for one of the more knowledgeable staff since the young lady helping me out at the time had no clue. They had the fish identified as Mandarin 'Goby' as well instead of Dragonet, a fairly common error, still, I guess. I corrected the misnomer and she went off to find a book on reef fishes to try and help with sexing the Mandarin. I already knew what to look for in the dorsal fin but still managed to screw it up. I think one of the more experienced staff may have known which ones were females when they stocked the tanks. But then again, they still got the name wrong, between all of them.... Live & learn, I don't consider myself an 'impulse' buyer and am generally very patient, but this was one of those times where I didn't... take my time. So far there is still no conflict, but I keep an eye on them when I can and at the first sign of trouble, I'll intervene, even if I'm not ready with the new tank and I have to re-aquascape to catch one of them.

How do you aquascape in order to allow 'easy' capturing of livestock?! That's amazing. Maybe you should run a clinic!! My rock is still just kind of piled up without any support other than pieces of ABS pipe on the bottom to keep them elevated off the glass and out of the sand. It's not a bad arrangement but every once in a while when I move one slightly it's a nightmare to keep everything together and it invariably ends up being a larger than anticipated exercise.

Myka
07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Impulse buys usually suck. In my experience anyway...I've been sucker to that as well.

I use minimal live rock with an open design plan, and make sure none of it comes too close to the glass so I can get a net all around the rock. This time I made some cool arches, so I used zip ties to secure the rock. They can't hide on me...muahahahaha!!! :D Take a look at the last pics I put in my tank journal so you can see the rocks if you want. I should take a top down shot of the rocks.