PDA

View Full Version : how to raise magnesium

arnald
07-16-2009, 02:44 AM
i think thats what i need for my coraline alge to grow. Unless someone knows how to raise calcium level up, but i don't have a calcium reactor and i don't even know what it does. the easiet soloutioin Please.

mseepman
07-16-2009, 02:51 AM
well, the first thing you need to do is some testing to determine where your levels are. You will quickly learn that you never want to add something if you don't know where the current level is. Most things interact with each other in some way and if you add one, another might drop or rise as well.

Once you have done your testing, let us know on here where the levels are and we'll give you some advice. Often people use Purple Up in order to increase their coraline algae growth. Just don't add it without knowing where you currently are.

Hope that helps.

mark
07-16-2009, 02:53 AM
I've just bought in bulk from littlesilvermax (here (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26590&highlight=magnesium)). For amounts use this calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html)by Jdeieck.

Are you testing for Mg and Ca?

Snaz
07-16-2009, 02:54 AM
10% weekly water changes with a good salt will contribute to coraline and overall tank well being.

xtreme
07-16-2009, 02:56 AM
As Mark suggested, littlesilvermax will be your most cost effective way to increase your levels. It's best to determine where you are at first though. Here is a good link on how to mix your supplements.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

whatcaneyedo
07-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Heres the "Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium" article that goes hand in hand with the article that xtreme posted.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

mark
07-16-2009, 05:22 AM
other nice thing about littlesilvermax's Mg it was already a MagFlake/Epson salt blend

BlueAbyss
07-16-2009, 06:15 AM
I've just started using Tailored Aquatics Calcium Plus and Reef Magnesium. The Calcium Plus contains calcium, magnesium, and strontium (in a tiny amount), along with organic carbon... not ideal for my setup (skimmerless) but it will have to do... I like that the Tailored Aquatics products are made in Canada :lol:

Anyhow, it sounds like you need to do some reading on the relationship between Calcium, alkalinity, and Magnesium... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php This should get you started. Next will be test kits... as a few people have already stated, dosing without testing is dangerous... you don't want to lose a tank of expensive fishes or corals to an overdose.

bowkry
07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I use 2little fishs c-ballance and once you get your amount set it is brainless

Snappy
07-17-2009, 02:04 AM
i think thats what i need for my coraline alge to grow. Unless someone knows how to raise calcium level up, but i don't have a calcium reactor and i don't even know what it does. the easiet soloutioin Please.
If you want coraline algae next time I scrape my glass I'll gladly send you some.:razz:
well, the first thing you need to do is some testing to determine where your levels are. You will quickly learn that you never want to add something if you don't know where the current level is. Most things interact with each other in some way and if you add one, another might drop or rise as well.

Once you have done your testing, let us know on here where the levels are and we'll give you some advice. Often people use Purple Up in order to increase their coraline algae growth. Just don't add it without knowing where you currently are.
BlueAbyssAnyhow, it sounds like you need to do some reading on the relationship between Calcium, alkalinity, and Magnesium... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php This should get you started. Next will be test kits... as a few people have already stated, dosing without testing is dangerous... you don't want to lose a tank of expensive fishes or corals to an overdose. Lots of good advise.
Im my experience coraline will grow eventually just be patient.

untamed
07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
You need to understand and control Calcium and Alkalinity before you start being concerned with Magnesium. If you are going to need to supplement anything, it will be Ca and Alk to begin with.

wickedfrags
07-17-2009, 05:47 PM
+1.

you need to understand and control calcium and alkalinity before you start being concerned with magnesium. If you are going to need to supplement anything, it will be ca and alk to begin with.

parkinsn
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
You need to understand and control Calcium and Alkalinity before you start being concerned with Magnesium. If you are going to need to supplement anything, it will be Ca and Alk to begin with.

Correct me if im wrong but if your Mg is low your Ca will also be low or hard to keep up. If all 3 (KH, Ca, Mg) are at the proper level it will be much easier to maintain the levels.

untamed
07-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Correct me if im wrong but if your Mg is low your Ca will also be low or hard to keep up. If all 3 (KH, Ca, Mg) are at the proper level it will be much easier to maintain the levels.

Yes, that is very true. However, the question as posed suggests to me that he/she is not yet measuring and supplementing Ca/Alk and that really should be handled before addressing Mg.

parkinsn
07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes, that is very true. However, the question as posed suggests to me that he/she is not yet measuring and supplementing Ca/Alk and that really should be handled before addressing Mg.

Ahhh ok well if thats the case, i would get yourself a few boxes of baking soda and do an order from the chem master and follow the link that xtreme put up and that should help solve all your problems :biggrin:. That is the same system that i use and have good success with thus far.

Werbo
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
The mentioned Randy Holmes-Farley 2 part reciepe is the best reading on this and you'll save a ton of money. All his chemistry writings are excellant and an essential for someone just starting.

I'd get your Alk inline first. Alk is a buffer (everyday baking soda). IMO it is the most important, easiest and fastest to get to optimal levels. It also has the greatest and fastest fluctuations. If your alk (buffer) is low raising calcium will make your alk even lower making it even harder to raise your calcium. There is an inverse relationship between alkalinity and calcium. This means that raising calcium causes alkalinity to drop.

It was only in the last 2-3 years that people even measured Mag. Before this it was largely ignored unless you just could not raise your calcium levels. It is important (test Mg to see what level your Mag level is) but it does not have the rapid fluctuations that alkalinity and to a lesser degree calcium have. The reason for this is Mg has the highest concentation in Natural Seawater (1350 ppm). In comparison, calcium is only 420 ppm. And alkalinity at 7/8 dKH, if converted to ppm Alk is only about 200 ppm. This is why Alk tends to have the greatest swings in our aquariums. I measure alkalinity bi-weekly, calcium weekly, and magnesium monthly.

For a beginner I'd aim for an slightly elevated alkalinity of 10-11 dKH. Once there begin raising calcium till you reach 400-450 ppm. You need to check both Ca and Alk on a daily basis to get to optimal levels and remember raising calcium causes alkalinity to drop. Once at optimal levels consumption of Alk & Ca should be balanced.

Add you buffer - Alk (aka Arm n Hammer baking soda) in the morning before the lights come on or an hour after lights out when ph is low). Wait a minimum hour between adding your Calcium supplement and your buffer (Alk). Add Alk in morning and Ca at night and you can't go wrong.

Read the Holmes-Farley Ca, Alk and Magnesium articles!!!!

parkinsn
07-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Here is a helpful calculator for getting your levels where you want them that happens to have the RHF in it.

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Edit; just saw that Mark posted this link :redface:

arnald
07-18-2009, 12:38 AM
thanks to everyone I guess I just need to raise the calcium cause it is at 150 and the hard corals are almost dead. i will try the suggestion from everone thanks again.

arnald
07-18-2009, 12:42 AM
so i get some baking soda and just add it to the aquarium straight up. baking soda? the cooking kind. and that should raise the calcium level

xtreme
07-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Baking soda will raise your alkalinity. You need a calcium supplement of some sort to raise it.

arnald
07-18-2009, 06:53 AM
done thanks guys