PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate

Popeye
07-15-2009, 06:44 AM
My 180 has been running for about 4 months and my phosphate levels are not decreasing. Two weeks ago I added a phosphate reactor when my readings were .20 last week my readings were .15 this week though my readings are .17. I do weekly 10 gallon water changes, I am using R.O. My fish and corals seem to be fine. Initially i had a problem with hair algae but my clean up crew fixed that problem, Then the dreaded diotom algae on the substrate which has decreased significantly but is still there. My skimmer is working overtime and I'm cleaning it out every other day. Any Ideas?
thanks

whatcaneyedo
07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
You're off to a good start but you'll need to do more if you want lower readings. I'm still battling excess phosphate and the resulting problem algae with my levels at 0.01 (according to an elos test kit). ATM I do 40gal weekly water changes, my system is 270gal and I run a Becket skimmer rated for 400gal, I change 250ml of rowaphos every 4 weeks, I strain all of my frozen food of its packing juice before adding it to the tank, I grow and harvest macro algae, use RO/DI water and top off with kalk saturated water.

You might find some more ideas here:
Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Now maybe you could help me. You say your cleanup crew took care of your hair algae, what do you have as a cleaners?

Popeye
07-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm using a euroreef 250 skimmer in a 75 gall sump Ive been using rods food and nls pellets, Maybe more water changes are necessary.

Myka
07-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Was your rock bought from a store (cured or uncured?) or from another reefer? It's quite possible the rock is leeching the phosphate. What brand test kit are you using?

Btw, you have it a bit backwards, hair algae is much more of a "dreaded" one than diatoms. Diatoms are not usually a very big issue at all, unless someone has confused dinoflagellates with diatoms.

Popeye
07-15-2009, 12:44 PM
The rock was from another reefers tank lots of coraline. I'm not too worried about the diatom algae its just unsightly.
I'm using a hanna digital tester

fishytime
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Just a heads up....I would ditch the NLS pellets....read the ingredients....they contain copper. As far as the phosphates go my guess would be a combination of the pellet food and bio-organic phosphate leeching from the rock. Also your tank is still relatively new, in the grand scheme of things.

Treebeard
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Just a heads up....I would ditch the NLS pellets....read the ingredients....they contain copper. As far as the phosphates go my guess would be a combination of the pellet food and bio-organic phosphate leeching from the rock. Also your tank is still relatively new, in the grand scheme of things.

Check out the NLS forums (http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4&hl=copper) regarding the copper in their food.

Popeye
07-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the link. I think this will make an interesting topic all on its own.
Ive been using Nls in freshwater for years and its the best in my humble opinion. I't will be interesting to see what other reef keepers think.
Thanks again

Popeye
08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Now its becoming a real pain. I was using Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat e on a daily basis along with a phos reactor. My readings were coming down and all was good, Or so I thought. I Got the readings down to .016 and then dosed for three more days before i could get it tested again. Guess what its back up to .026. Any Advice Please.

Navarchus
08-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Your tank is only 4 month and still cycling; give it a chance to balance!

Oceanic
08-05-2009, 04:17 AM

NLS make a great food! Ignore the copper comments.

I had a minor phosphate issue that disappeared using Zeovit.

Navarchus
08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
nls make a great food! Ignore the copper comments.
+1