PDA

View Full Version : acclimatize? new bulbs

mark
07-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Dragging a bit to replace my bulbs as know I'm going to have problems with the bulb holders but a project for this weekend.

One side is just a straight swap(14K to 14K) but since the other side I've been trying a XM 20K DE 250W for about a month, if I'll need to acclimatize as new bulb is a 14K Phoenix?

Myka
07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
You should always acclimatize from old bulbs to new whether you're using the same Kelvin or even exact same bulb. We replace them because the output is lowered, so that should mean that when you put new ones in they will be brighter. I find the easiest and least obtrusive way to acclimatize to lighting is to set the halides to go on and off a few times during the day. Like on for two, off for two, on for two. Or whatever you decide depending on how severe the increase is. Then just slowly increase the on periods, and shorten the off periods by 15-30 mins every 3-10 days also depending on the severity of the increase. In your case, it hasn't been overly long on the 20K so I wouldn't be too cautious. I think you would be fine running them the normal span, but a 2 hour off in the middle, and slowly decrease the off time.