PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Substrate

intarsiabox
07-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I am in the process of building a new sump and want a refugium in it. Would people suggest a bare bottom, DSB or SSB for a refugium? Why? Any other pointers would be greatfully accepted as well. Thank-you!

chandigz
07-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I use a 3" mineral mud bed. works for me.

mark
07-15-2009, 12:46 AM
BB with my stand alone fuge. I'm feeding raw water from my display (no sock) and this allows me to easily vac out the detritus.

If I had NO3 problem I might of placed a DSB.

intarsiabox
07-15-2009, 03:12 AM
BB with my stand alone fuge. I'm feeding raw water from my display (no sock) and this allows me to easily vac out the detritus.

If I had NO3 problem I might of placed a DSB.

I had read that teeing of some of the overflow water directly into the fuge is the way to go. I guess it provides more nutrients for the pods.

ALBERTA REEF
07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I found Melevsreef.com helps explains alot of this. It is a good site.:biggrin:

Marlin65
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I had read that teeing of some of the overflow water directly into the fuge is the way to go. I guess it provides more nutrients for the pods.

No you tee off as you don't want your flow to be too fast in your fuge.
With your full turn over (Depending how much this is on your tank) it will be to much flow that is why you redirect the water with a tee.

Zoaelite
07-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Mixing mineral mud, live sand and rubble together should get you some pretty good results. I have a 27g upstream fuge that has about 6 inches of the stuff and the consistency is just perfect. My pistol shrimp/ goby form intricate burrows against the glass and my mangroves took root in the stuff instantly. I got my mixture from a LFS clearing out an old coral tank, just scooped up everything on the bottom of the tank, mixed in some mud/ larger rubble and your good to go!
Levi