PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead Gasket - inside or outside?

Myka
07-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Ok, this is funny. I'm arguing with a friend about which side the rubber gasket goes on a bulkhead. So I need some proof that I'm right. :lol:

Does the gasket go on the inside of the glass (the wet side), or the outside of the glass (dry side)?

intarsiabox
07-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Wet side.

xtreme
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Depends which way you install the bulkhead. Should be against the flange side and NOT the nut side if that makes sense.

parkinsn
07-14-2009, 11:44 PM
here is a little more for you WET SIDE :lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Generally, wet side.

Myka
:lol: Thanks guys!! Now he owes me a case of beer! Woohoo!

banditpowdercoat
like xtreme said, the FLANGE side. Which, depending how you put the bulkhead in, will be wether it's the wet or dry side.
If you put it on the nut side, the nut will deform and twist it all up, and it won't seal

xtreme
07-15-2009, 12:06 AM
If you put it on the nut side, the nut will deform and twist it all up, and it won't seal

And the water could seep through the threads and out. Thats why you need the flat surface to seal against.

banditpowdercoat
07-15-2009, 12:07 AM
And the water could seep through the threads and out. Thats why you need the flat surface to seal against.

Ya, what he said LOL

intarsiabox
07-15-2009, 12:08 AM
I would still go after the case of beer as the nut is usually on the out side for access. It can be a little diffucult to tighten when its at the bottom of a 2 foot deep overflow.

i have crabs
07-15-2009, 01:26 AM
always wet side flange or nut

mark
07-15-2009, 02:03 AM
always flange side, wet or dry. Just think about it.

banditpowdercoat
07-15-2009, 02:06 AM
always wet side flange or nut

NO

If you put it on the nut, the nut will bunch up the seal and it WILL LEAK.

And, if you have the style bulkheads like I used from Wendell on my 150g, the nuts have "teeth" which would totally make a mess of the seal

Navarchus
07-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Always flange side, wet or dry, but the ideal is on the wet side.

Small tip: I always put a thin layer of silicon around the edges of the hole and only then assemble the bulkhead. After that I put a second layer of silicon around the bulkhead (in side and outside) for extra safety

Canadian
07-15-2009, 03:07 AM
One more for flange side regardless of whether it's wet or dry.

intarsiabox
07-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Always flange side, wet or dry, but the ideal is on the wet side.

Small tip: I always put a thin layer of silicon around the edges of the hole and only then assemble the bulkhead. After that I put a second layer of silicon around the bulkhead (in side and outside) for extra safety

I do this to. A little silicon is better than a lot of water on the floor. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
07-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Ok, this is funny. I'm arguing with a friend about which side the rubber gasket goes on a bulkhead. So I need some proof that I'm right. :lol:

Does the gasket go on the inside of the glass (the wet side), or the outside of the glass (dry side)?

Flang side, always. other wise it can wick through the threads.

also there is no better way to install it.. it all depends on the type of bulkhead you have and how much room you have to the nut to spin on. I had them both ways as if I was doing a through bulkhead to the inside and I wanted to add piping and a strainer it just worked out better.

another reason to put it on the dry side might be if you are doing a closed loop and you don't have much room outside due to a wall or cabnet then you want the flat side on the outside to give you more room.

Steve

i have crabs
07-15-2009, 04:01 AM
i retract my statement

i checked the bible aka. the reef aquarium 3
i thought i remembered it saying to always have it on the wet side, but it says it should always be on the wet side and on the flange side and if the nut is on the wet side you should use 2 gaskets one on each side

whatcaneyedo
07-15-2009, 04:06 AM
18 posts in 4.5 hours. Thats pretty good for a simple question like this. Flange side.

StirCrazy
07-15-2009, 04:31 AM
i retract my statement

if the nut is on the wet side you should use 2 gaskets one on each side

that would be a waist of a gasket as that water can still migrate threw the threads. also if you try tighten the nut with a gasket there it just bends the gasket out of shape. and besides if you have a gasket on the flange side there is no need for one on the other side as it won't leak (if done right)

Steve

i have crabs
07-15-2009, 05:20 AM
just repeating what delbeek and sprung recomend,
i personally would just put 1 gasket on the wetside still, i also have the habit of coating the edge of my bulkheads with silicone on both sides

Myka
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
You guys are awesome!! I didn't think I would get so many answers. We were talking about a standard bulkhead set up in a traditional style with the flange to the wet side of the tank. His theory was that the UV from the halides breaks down the gasket, so it has to go on the dry side. I was like, "Um what about the threads leaking?", his reply "Oh I just silicone them." :eek:

StirCrazy
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
just repeating what delbeek and sprung recomend,

um... two fish geeks? you wouldn't rather follow the manufactuers directions?

Steve

i have crabs
07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
ok fair enough, but just for fun please follow the manufacturers directions on the next 3 aquarium products you buy

banditpowdercoat
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
When I bought my tank, it was used. The prev owner siliconed EVERYTHING. and let me tell you, tht was a PITA. Not only does it leak if you happen to move the bulkhead at all, but it makes them almost impossible to remove. And, he siliconed every threaded PVC joint too. No teflon tape. So, you can imagine how I flt when some of the fittings I re-used broke, letting 30-50g onto my carpet. Not once, but TWICE!!!!. lesson learned LOL.

intarsiabox
07-15-2009, 11:20 PM
You guys are awesome!! I didn't think I would get so many answers. We were talking about a standard bulkhead set up in a traditional style with the flange to the wet side of the tank. His theory was that the UV from the halides breaks down the gasket, so it has to go on the dry side. I was like, "Um what about the threads leaking?", his reply "Oh I just silicone them." :eek:

Just ask him when was the last time his tank fell apart because the silicone holding the glass together disintigrated.

Myka
07-16-2009, 12:44 AM
ok fair enough, but just for fun please follow the manufacturers directions on the next 3 aquarium products you buy

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good call!