PDA

View Full Version : Monti RTN

TrailFish
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I purchase a pink monti frag a couple of months back and up until a few weeks ago it was fine but now is undergoing a relatively quick tissue die off. My gut feeling is a bateria or viral infection and I fragged the coral past the line of recession a week ago but the condition is recurring (maybe I didn't go far enough). Any ideas?

I am thinking of pulling the coral out, fragging it past the recession and then giving it a some kind of dip (I was thinking Revive and/or iodine). Does this seem reasonable? All other corals are fine (Alk, Ca, SG etc. are good)

This is a great color coral and I would hate to loose it. The coral is growing on other fronts but I suspect that the recession will eventually take out the whole piece.

untamed
07-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Yes, the frag and dip is a good plan. May save it..may not. I doubt there is anything else you can try that will work.

Haloreef
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I have had luck doing the "frag and dip" also. However I add one more step. I use the cyano acrilate glue on the fresh edge to make sure I trap any unwanted nasties inside the glue. Make sure you cover the whole edge.
I can't say it's worked every time but, it has worked more often than not for me. Sounds like you have nothing to loose.
Good luck.

Marlin65
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I thought I had RTN as well on my Monties until I found some small white nudies.:twised: Picking them off when I find them. They are hard to see as they are white.

TrailFish
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I have had luck doing the "frag and dip" also. However I add one more step. I use the cyano acrilate glue on the fresh edge to make sure I trap any unwanted nasties inside the glue. Make sure you cover the whole edge.
I can't say it's worked every time but, it has worked more often than not for me. Sounds like you have nothing to loose.
Good luck.

Thanks. I will consider adding the extra step and give it a shot tonight. What tends to work better, the gel or regular super glue?

chandigz
07-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I'd check for montipora eating nudibranchs. They sometimes hide when the lights are on so check after the lights have been off for a while. They are tiny, less then a 1/4 inch. Use the gel glue.

Navarchus
07-15-2009, 02:55 AM
I'd check for montipora eating nudibranchs. They sometimes hide when the lights are on so check after the lights have been off for a while. They are tiny, less then a 1/4 inch. Use the gel glue.

:thumb:
This used to be a poker star montipora!

http://reefexotic.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/Rainbow%20Montipora%20(600x400).jpg

After aggressive dip.
http://www.reef-center-host.com/pix/albums/userpics/10429/normal_P1170155.JPG

The eggs are still there.
http://www.reef-center-host.com/pix/albums/userpics/10429/normal_P1170158.JPG

IMO best thing to do is get rid of it!
If you have any other monti dip them a.s.a.p
I would add some 6line wrasse.

Haloreef
07-15-2009, 05:24 AM
I use the gel. In one of the tanks I kept I had the Monti nudis also. I quarentined the monti and super glued over any spot that showed damage. I did this every night for aprox. a month and ended up saving it. Interestingly enough it was also a pink Monti. You have to check every night some nights every thing would look fine and then I would see a white spot... more glue!
I have not found, or read about, any dip that will kill the Nudis and leave the coral alive.
If you are not prepared to do this night after night you may want to toss it. It depends what this coral is worth to you.
Once again good luck!

TrailFish
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Hmmm. I have other montis that haven't shown any signs of infection (yet). I haven't looked hard for the nudis (a bit after lights out and this morning as well) but I will pull out the coral this evening and have a good look.

Thanks everyone for your comments (and photos). I would have never thought to look for these little beasties.

chandigz
07-16-2009, 12:20 AM
If it is nudibranchs a half hour(some people say 1 hour) dip in a solutions of 200 mg potasium permaginate in 1 gallon of tank water will kill the nudibranchs and eggs. Use this dip for montis only and make sure you rinse them before returning to the tank. It is hard to come by(resticted substance) but can be found at some pond supply or water treatment stores.

TrailFish
08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
An update to the monti RTN issue. I took the affected piece out and had a look but couldn't find any sign of nudi or eggs but decided on the treatment previously discussed. I fragged off the affected areas and they gave the monti a 20 min dip with lugol followed by a tank water rinse. In case it was a baterial/viral infection I also used Krazy glue along all the edges. The coral looked good for about a week and then I went on vacation...

Came back and 95% of the coral was gone and past saving. Another adjacent monti was also 75% gone. I had a look at the second monti and though that maybe I saw a nudi?? In the end I lost both corals and tossed them out hoping that any eggs may have gone with them.

Fast forward a few weeks... This week I noticed that my last monti (blue superman) had a white mark on it. Closer inspection showed 3 nudi happily munching away. Damn. The flat surface and very small poly size makes the nudi very easy to see. I had no idea they were that small.

Tonight I another dip program. Wish me luck.

Has anyone heard of these beasts eating anything other than monti?

dreef
08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Nope the nudis will only eat montiporas,all other sps will be spared.You need to dip with tmpcc and manually remove the eggs.A qt is also a very good idea...good luck.

TrailFish
08-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes quarantine. Definitely in my future. What is tmpcc?

Nope the nudis will only eat montiporas,all other sps will be spared.You need to dip with tmpcc and manually remove the eggs.A qt is also a very good idea...good luck.

Mrfish55
08-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Yes quarantine. Definitely in my future. What is tmpcc?

"Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure"

Navarchus
08-23-2009, 03:21 AM
nope the nudis will only eat montiporas,all other sps will be spared.you need to dip with tmpcc and manually remove the eggs.a qt is also a very good idea...good luck.

+ 1