PDA

View Full Version : Benifit to acrylic sump?

banditpowdercoat
07-13-2009, 02:57 AM
I may be just over thinking this whole thing, but I need a new sump. Mine is to tall and cant put a skimmer in it or access it well. Now, I have made a few sumps with glass tanks. But, why do people make them form acrylic? It seems like it s more time consuming to cut, route and weld? Is it that much cheaper for acrylic than glass? I havn't priced it out here.
I am just not sure if I should buy a router table and build a acrylic sump, or look for a 30g tank and convert it??

Skimmerking
07-13-2009, 03:15 AM
Dan i think that alot of people are affaid to drill glass ,but not Acrylic, its lighter, keeps the heat in better. but some times its alot more for a sump of that kind.

scumchug
07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Typically glass is cheaper than acrylic. Unless your into really thick glass, then acrylic becomes cheaper. I would say the biggest benefit of an acrylic sump is that they don't break. Moving rocks, skimmers and all the other associated stuff around in a confined area often leads to breaking a glass sump. Not to mention the holes needed for pumps, ect, become a major weak point. I myself have broken a couple sumps by bumping a pump and have it break the glass.