PDA

View Full Version : check valves

christyf5
07-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

Is anyone using these? In case I am using the wrong term, I'm talking about a valve that lets water flow one way but doesn't let it flow back. I'm just worried that if the power goes out the inflows will suction back into the sump which doesn't have all that much room (weiner sump :razz:) so I'm looking for something that will stop this from happening. Anyone know where I can find one that is about 1" or so??

Christy :)

StirCrazy
07-19-2003, 05:57 PM
you can use them Christy but then you have another thing to add to your regular maintance. they would idealy need to be taken out and cleaned every week to main tain there reliability.

I thought about using them but I didn;t want to have to shut down my system every week or so to clean them.

having said that if you plum them in right and make a bypass so you can change the flow of water while you take them out it can be done and won't be to much work.

Steve

Jason McK
07-19-2003, 05:58 PM
All I've done is drill a hole in the return pipe just below the water surface. That way if the power goes out as soon as the water drops below that hole the suction is broken and no more back flow.

Cheap and effective.

J

christyf5
07-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah I never thought about having to maintain it :rolleyes: . I think I'll go with jakets idea. Good call. Thanks!

StirCrazy
07-19-2003, 06:06 PM
jakets idea is a commen one also.. I drilled my hile just above the water surface though. still have to maintain them but it is simple every week I just use a drill bit and make sure the hole is not blocked.

Steve

Jason McK
07-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Just above the water line is a much better plan, no siphon at all if the power goes out. But I found mine was forcing air into the return and the gurgling was driving me nuts. My Tank is in the livingroom. :lol:

J