PDA

View Full Version : Does high KH eliminate Cyanobacteria?

mandarin man
07-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I have been battleling the cyano for 3 weeks now, major water changes, increase flow, suck them out as much as I can. Next week, the same amount of Cyano appears on rocks and sand again. It is frustrating.

I have RSM 130 with tunze 9002 skimmer, and vortech 20 pump. I don't think I lack system performance wise.

I have heard and read that high KH from 10-12 will eliminate the cyano. Is this true?

Thanks advance for your help.

banditpowdercoat
07-11-2009, 05:56 PM
How old of a tank? Alot of times, it's a phase the tank needs to go through. There is allways a ballancing act in the tank too. If you change one thing, ie new bulbs. That is often enough to upset the ballance to allow the cyano to grow. After a while, it should all come into check.

Have you tried the lights out method? I have used that in the past when I got extremely pesky outbreaks. Allways worked awesome for me. 3 days NO lights, blanket on tank, no food. Large water change after and do a light acclimation perios. couple hrs first day back, then longer, 3rd day back to full light schedual

Leah
07-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I followed this after Dan suggested it to me, worked great and it was bad I might add

mandarin man
07-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks for your help

My tank is approximately 6 months old. I did upset the balance like a month ago by changing light bulbs, remove the ceramic biological fitler, and threw in 30% of uncured live rocks (my stupidity). It could have been the die off the new rock that causing this, my mistake. Now I am fighting hard to balance the system again.

Would the corals and the fishes be OK with three days without light and food?

Leah
07-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Everything was fine like you I was worried as I have an Anthia and angels it was no problem

banditpowdercoat
07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm willing to bet it was the LR that caused it.

Yes, your fishies and corals will be fine. you'd be suprised to learn how long they go without food, when transported from wild to the LFS.

Leah
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Do a big water change at the end 20% to 40% if I remember, off the top of my head

mandarin man
07-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Banditpowercoat and Leah.

Thanks for your help.

I think you are right it was the LR that caused this outbreak (I remember before all mess, I heavily fed the tank but there were not signs of cyano). Thanks to Red Coral, I got some chaeto today. I put this in the back of the tank. I also did 20% water change today and sucked the cyano out. I also rearranged some rocks which I suspected there are dead spots. Again, at the end of the day after water change, I noticed bubbles appear on the rock again:sad:.

I will definitely try your way (complete light out) in a week or so when things don't improve.

Thanks