PDA

View Full Version : bottomless pit that's what a reeftank is or where to get the best cup of coffee

reeferious
07-11-2009, 03:52 AM
holy cr*P *esus spare me from this. my S O who's been secretly tallying my hobby spendings from last year has just presented me with a tallied sum total 5433.71 i'm looking at this inches tall stack of bills and receipts and am having difficulty accepting them for what they are. HELP! proof has been presented before me yet i can't stop myself.

xtreme
07-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Quick, burn all the receipts and stop keeping track of the spending. It's only gonna get worse.:lol:

banditpowdercoat
07-11-2009, 03:59 AM
$5K in one year. Getting off lucky LOL. But really, Reefing can be as expensive or frugal as you make it. And, once you get the equipment, the buying stops......For some of us. others, just need to keep upgrading LOL. Buy good once, then you wont need to upgrade.

scumchug
07-11-2009, 04:01 AM
$5433.71 That's it?

What are you going to do when the bug really bites?

parkinsn
07-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Stop keeping track and do it fast :lol:

intarsiabox
07-11-2009, 04:09 AM
I just keep telling the wife that this is the last item I need to buy for awhile, but I when I say it every week-end I'm afraid she's catching on to me!

walloutlet
07-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Hehehe, I think I am easily into for that much and its only been 6 months. Ssshhhh. The sad thing is I haven't gotten into the cool controllers, reactors, etc...

Good thing interest rates are low, its time to take out a second mortgage!

walloutlet
07-11-2009, 04:22 AM
I just keep telling the wife that this is the last item I need to buy for awhile, but I when I say it every week-end I'm afraid she's catching on to me!

LOL, that sounds just like me. I just become acustom to the scowl face. I always say its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission.

Good Luck.
:lol:

Tomjay
07-11-2009, 04:34 AM
Yep I don’t want to keep track I have only had my new tank for just over 4 1/2 months which cost a ton of cash and I am still spending....good thing I only have to answer to myself:lol:

fkshiu
07-11-2009, 04:35 AM
holy cr*P *esus spare me from this. my S O who's been secretly tallying my hobby spendings from last year has just presented me with a tallied sum total 5433.71 i'm looking at this inches tall stack of bills and receipts and am having difficulty accepting them for what they are. HELP! proof has been presented before me yet i can't stop myself.

Just 5.5Gs??? That's nuthin'. Cash is your friend.

bignose
07-11-2009, 05:22 AM
I said to my self it only costs alot to start the system... dear God was I wrong! Just forget the past and move forward that's what I do.:lol:

naesco
07-11-2009, 05:24 AM

Dont fret. She is getting even.
Check the bags in the trunk of her car, the shelf above her clothing in that tiny walk in closet that if full with stuff, and the back of her bedroom drawersl. You will find lots of receipts.
Keep them for the day when she starts complaining about how much you spend on the tank.

BlueAbyss
07-11-2009, 07:48 AM
:lol:

Sorry to hear this, man... how big is the tank?

For posterity (and since I'm home on a Saturday night), quick tally of what I've spent on my 10 gallon... I don't include the tank, heater, or HOB filters here...

70W ballast - $25
Noma fixture - $35 (DIYed my own MH light)
14K bulb - $25
Wire, tools, electrical tape, connectors - $60
Bucket of Instant Ocean - $100 (waaaay overpriced, tell me about it... I won't forget this one for a long time)
Live rock - $60
Seachem Sand - $40
Test Kits - $100
Refractometer - $45...

The list goes on, and I won't tally what I've spent :biggrin: Cause honestly, I don't wanna know :lol: And I haven't even started stocking the tank yet... that's just the equipment and basic stuff I bought to do a very low tech 10 gallon.

I knew this was going to be expensive when I got into it... I feel your pain man. At least I knew what I was doing when I started, I can see now how expensive (and painful) a mistake could be. Precious little comfort... but even unstocked my tank brings me a certain amount of joy.

Perhaps you could offer your wife some consolation... take her snorkelling on a shallow reef somewhere warm in the middle of winter? Then when she sees your tank, it could then conjure up warm memories of a winter vacation with her family. Everybody wins :wink:

carnut
07-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Trying having a his and her tank. It starts off innocent, Oh honey just a small tank. Three upgrades later and she has a 150 and he got a 300. two people who say oh just one more and we;ll stop for a while:mrgreen:

Don't know if we work for the bank or the fish!!!

Dez
07-11-2009, 12:14 PM
It's sad when you build a house around a fish tank. That was one stipulation while we we building a house was there had to be the perfect place for a fish tank. We had most of the equipment from our previous fish tanks but I'm still a couple of thousand into the tank so far and I don't even have water in the tank. But my mentality now is - this is all part of the "start up" costs. Once the tank is running it'll just be electricity and food that we'll be spending on the tank :)

Navarchus
07-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Well,
I have a very simple philosophy how to handle this situation….

http://www.melih.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ostridge.jpg

Doug
07-11-2009, 02:06 PM
:nod:

Love the head in the sand. :lol:

Actually its not anymore expensive than most other hobbies/recreation thingys. My boys snow machine equipment is much more. My boat and fishing equipment used to be a lot more. Crap, I use to sepnd more on the cash bowling circuit without much return. :lol:

I think its all just relative.

banditpowdercoat
07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Ya, try juggling Reefs, Snow machines, Muscle car's AND a family on a measly Electricians salary. Good thing I don't drink Starbuck's. I couldnt afford that HAHAHA

Leah
07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
:decision:No comment!!! hehehe! Have a good day salt addicts and don't think to much!!

Skimmerking
07-11-2009, 03:22 PM
WOW I have spent that on skimmers alone LOL:lol::lol::lol:

i think that i have a problem

banditpowdercoat
07-11-2009, 03:35 PM

But your not normal ROFL:mrgreen:

Leah
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Normal vs reefkeeping ask anyone that does not own a tank what they think ROFL

Aquattro
07-11-2009, 03:50 PM
. Good thing I don't drink Starbuck's.

I think I might spend more at sbux than on my tank. I spend a lot on my tank....sad...:)

Shite, quick calculation, I spend $2034.00/yr at sbux.

whatcaneyedo
07-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I've estimated that I generally spend about $2000 a year on consumable products for my tank (electricity, bulbs, salt, food etc). So now I regularly sell frags from nearly everything in my systems to off set the upkeep costs. I'm pretty excited because this year I should break even.

JDigital
07-11-2009, 04:05 PM

:lol: LMAO.... Wow... No wonder you're on Canreef at all hours of the day...

Skimmerking
07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
But your not normal ROFL:mrgreen:

What you mean I'm not why didn't you moderators tell me that ...........

I can't speak:mrgreen:

Aquattro
07-11-2009, 04:09 PM
What you mean I'm not why didn't you moderators tell me that ...........

I can't speak:mrgreen:

Well, Mike, we have sort of hinted.....:)

StirCrazy
07-11-2009, 04:31 PM

no, we know you have a problem...:mrgreen:

StirCrazy
07-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I think I might spend more at sbux than on my tank. I spend a lot on my tank....sad...:)

you know if you switch to timmies you would have about 500.00 more a year for the tank with out giving up any coffies..

Steve

Aquattro
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
you know if you switch to timmies you would have about 500.00 more a year for the tank with out giving up any coffies..

Steve

When Timmy starts starts selling real coffee, I might think about it.

StirCrazy
07-11-2009, 04:37 PM
When Timmy starts starts selling real coffee, I might think about it.

I know.. it is sad how a company who wasn't even owned by a canadian for the last 5 years can brainwash a nation into thinking bad coffee is good.

Steve

GreenSpottedPuffer
07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
I know.. it is sad how a company who wasn't even owned by a canadian for the last 5 years can brainwash a nation into thinking bad coffee is good.

Steve

The wendys people did a great job keeping the sale relatively quiet and most people don't seem to know tims is not Canadian anymore.

I don't think they sell coffee though do they???

banditpowdercoat
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't drink Tim's either. Good Old Maxwell House, at home, Unlimeted supply of Nabob at work. Good to know I save $5k a year LOL

Skimmerking
07-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, Mike, we have sort of hinted.....:)
but ,but ,but they said that you were full of SH.. lol back at ya ...:lol:

StirCrazy
07-11-2009, 05:32 PM
The wendys people did a great job keeping the sale relatively quiet and most people don't seem to know tims is not Canadian anymore.

I don't think they sell coffee though do they???

actualy it was anounced last month that it was sold again and it is now canadian owned again..

Leah
07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I heard this morning they are opening up in Newyork

scherzo
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Notice how the OP hasn't been back to reply to his own thread.. maybe his significant other tied him up.. :(

I thought that my FW addiction was bad.. once I got into the Salt thing I've been going nuts!

Put it this way.. $5000-$6000 a year is far less than other hobbies. You could be out drinking every night with your buddies.. at least you're at home doing water changes.

Also Tim's is currently incorporated in the US but will move back to Canada to take advantage of Canadian tax rates
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/tim-hortons-makes-move-back-to-canada/article1201286/

Ian
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL
Nice I thought maybe I was going a little over the edge...BC 29 just over a year ago and a 90 gallon added nw I am over 5 k spent also......AND I SET A BUDGET... My other hobby is tournament paintball try explaining the 2000$ paintball marker to your wife and you need 2 just in case:twised::twised: keeps sw in her good books

GreenSpottedPuffer
07-11-2009, 11:21 PM
actualy it was anounced last month that it was sold again and it is now canadian owned again..

So then will they start selling coffee now?

Delphinus
07-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I find not much beats a Timmie's double-double when it's done right. Starbucks, meh, it's nice, but too much coin and I can't really get into the double-tall venti latte this that and the other terminology. Is a tall a small? I never really know.

As for the reef hobby though .. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't had the tanks the last ten years I'd uh .. probably have way nicer other things. Yeah, I think I'm not going there. No tracking the spending, I'll just weep if I do.

Aquattro
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I find not much beats a Timmie's double-double when it's done right.

Done right? You mean pressed and steamed in an espresso machine? with enough coffee to turn water a different color? Ok, when they get it right, I'm there!
Let's see. Tall americano. Easy. Large double double done right. Sounds more complicated. :)

StirCrazy
07-12-2009, 12:52 AM
hmmm

Canadian
07-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Done right? You mean pressed and steamed in an espresso machine? with enough coffee to turn water a different color? Ok, when they get it right, I'm there!
Let's see. Tall americano. Easy. Large double double done right. Sounds more complicated. :)

I can't believe you're dissing Timmy's and praising Bucks! They both suck. Timmy's is nothing but MSG, sugar and cream and Bucks is button-pushed burned beyond recognition shite beans. Next time you're on Goldstream Ave. head in to Mirage Coffee (right beside the public library) and get a real cup of coffee (great Americanos if that's what you like).

Skimmerking
07-12-2009, 02:24 AM
i like my timmy's alot ,however the first tiem that i tried a starbucks coffee was in Fredericton, NB and it was the grossest thing that i have ever had..... and that was in 2001 and the next time that i had starbucks was last week me and my daughter went for a vanilla bean frappocheano and man that was great.

Aquattro
07-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Alright Andrew, I'll try it tonight. If they're open. :)

Canadian
07-12-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't think they'll be open very late Brad - their hours are something like 7:30-7:00 I think.

Aquattro
07-12-2009, 02:56 AM
their hours are something like 7:30-7:00 I think.
Those are not coffee hours! :)

scherzo
07-12-2009, 03:00 AM
I don't think they'll be open very late Brad - their hours are something like 7:30-7:00 I think.

Must be a Victoria thing.. Ours is open at least until 11pm

StirCrazy
07-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Timmy's is nothing but MSG, sugar and cream

MSG????

burned beyond recognition shite beans.

burnt beyond recognition??? what about people who prefur dark roast.. but you are partialy right they are both crap and there is no good coffee in Canada at all, and in the US for the most part..

real Jamacian blue mountian made in Jamacia now thats a good coffee:mrgreen:
Very dark roasted, very thick... mmmmm

Steve

Snaz
07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/faq.html

"Is there nicotine or MSG in Tim Hortons coffee?

This urban myth is just that. a myth!

Tim Hortons customers expect and deserve high quality coffee that is always fresh and consistent, along with fast, efficient service and all at a good value. Tim Hortons would like to clearly state that there is absolutely NO nicotine or MSG in our coffee. Tim Hortons coffee has NO ADDITIVES whatsoever. It is made only from a blend of the highest quality premium Arabica beans from several different coffee growing countries.

Tim Hortons decaffeinated coffee also contains no additives. It is decaffeinated through what is called the Swiss Water method, which is the purest manner of removing caffeine from the coffee. Tim Hortons believes that our focus on quality, service and value, is what keeps our customers coming back for more!"

whatcaneyedo
07-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I think this thread is a little off topic. :wink:

BlueAbyss
07-12-2009, 06:08 PM

Steve

Speaking of off topic :lol:

Isn't Blue Mountain supposed to be a light roast? I thought it was one of the more delicate coffees?

banditpowdercoat
07-12-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/faq.html

"Is there nicotine or MSG in Tim Hortons coffee?

This urban myth is just that. a myth!

Tim Hortons customers expect and deserve high quality coffee that is always fresh and consistent, along with fast, efficient service and all at a good value. Tim Hortons would like to clearly state that there is absolutely NO nicotine or MSG in our coffee. Tim Hortons coffee has NO ADDITIVES whatsoever. It is made only from a blend of the highest quality premium Arabica beans from several different coffee growing countries.

Tim Hortons decaffeinated coffee also contains no additives. It is decaffeinated through what is called the Swiss Water method, which is the purest manner of removing caffeine from the coffee. Tim Hortons believes that our focus on quality, service and value, is what keeps our customers coming back for more!"

Atleast thats what THEY want you to know......

Aquattro
07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I think this thread is a little off topic. :wink:

Yes, it is. You guys quit hijacking threads!

StirCrazy
07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Speaking of off topic :lol:

Isn't Blue Mountain supposed to be a light roast? I thought it was one of the more delicate coffees?

nope, thick enough to use a fork :mrgreen: I do imagin that us unedumacated coffee drinkers import unroasted beans and waist them by only lightly roasting them. I brought home 10lbs from there market at 1.99 cdn / lb

sure beats the 50.00+ a lb it was here back then.

when I was in the middle east, crete, sicily, india, malysia, ect I have never found a lightly roasted coffee... always full bodies and dark..

so this light roasted thing must be a whimp thing from North america:mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
07-12-2009, 08:18 PM
so this light roasted thing must be a whimp thing from North america:mrgreen:

Steve

Isn't that stuff called tea?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-12-2009, 09:11 PM
One of the mods should retitle this thread to "Coffee: How do you like your beans?":wink:

Canadian
07-12-2009, 09:11 PM
The MSG thing is just one of those ridiculous rumors about Tim Hortons coffee and it's "addictive" qualities.

And all Bucks coffee is nasty - Tim Hortons at least uses Arabica beans while Bucks uses the cheapest Robusta they can get their hands on.

And here's some info on dark vs light roast: http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/darkroast/

MSG????

burnt beyond recognition??? what about people who prefur dark roast.. but you are partialy right they are both crap and there is no good coffee in Canada at all, and in the US for the most part..

Steve

StirCrazy
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM
The MSG thing is just one of those ridiculous rumors about Tim Hortons coffee and it's "addictive" qualities.

And all Bucks coffee is nasty - Tim Hortons at least uses Arabica beans while Bucks uses the cheapest Robusta they can get their hands on.

And here's some info on dark vs light roast: http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/darkroast/

I don't realy agree with the author that a lighter roast is showing off the beans.. proper roasting brings out natural flavors that can't be brought out by a light roast. I do agree that burning is a way to hide bad beans but I think most of your bad beans in the industry are sold as folgers, maxwekk house, nabob ect.. the medium roast area.

I have has good dark roasts and bad dark roasts, while I don't like some of SB's dark roasts I do like others, and I do always ask which one they have on that day befor I order them. I think there generic SB coffees are garbage, but there feature ones are sometimes suprising.

generaly though like I said.. I don't find many great cups of coffee in North america, I find lots that are acceptible though.. and my timmies theory has always been, that they have bad coffe, but it is consistant.. you always know what your getting any where in canada when you order a extra large double double.

Steve

StirCrazy
07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
damn all this coffee talk,, who's up for coffee tonight???

Steve

woodcarver
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
As this has turned into a coffee thread .................

Timmy's double double is o.k. if you don't really like to taste the coffee! Bucks is very strong and needs diluting with lots of cream .
The best one we have found ,by far , after many trials is Presidents Choice colombian made with the drip type coffee maker . Every morning on the timer !!!!
Way ahead .......................Dave

no_bs
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Never mind bottomless reef, These guys must spend more money on bottomless coffee cups!! Me, personaly have spent more on tanks, etc. instead of wasteing my money on those two coffee stores. Yech

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Yup, haven't bothered buying very many cups of coffee from either SB or Timmie's.

I still spend too much every month, heck every week, heck, sometimes every day on my tanks.

Anthony

banditpowdercoat
07-13-2009, 12:38 AM
I just spent $200 on mine, and I'm not even near civilization....:neutral:

JDigital
07-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Yup, haven't bothered buying very many cups of coffee from either SB or Timmie's.

I still spend too much every month, heck every week, heck, sometimes every day on my tanks.

Anthony

I just spent $200 on mine, and I'm not even near civilization....:neutral:

Suckers!! I just made a $100 from mine.. :lol::mrgreen: hahaha!

and for some reason, I am CRAVING a Large Double Double..... weird...

banditpowdercoat
07-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Suckers!! I just made a $100 from mine.. :lol::mrgreen: hahaha!

and for some reason, I am CRAVING a Large Double Double..... weird...

Grrr and I still dont have any Lumenmax reflectors :(

fishoholic
07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't want to know what I spend on the hobby, all I know is that it's more then enough to make me not want to know.

Timmies: caramel ice cap supreme or english toffee coffee.

Star bucks: coffee=not worth the $$, strawberries & cream drink=very very yummy yummy :biggrin:

JDigital
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Grrr and I still dont have any Lumenmax reflectors :(

Getting close... I'm only "making" money as I am slowly selling things off...

Aquattro
07-13-2009, 11:29 PM
, strawberries & cream drink=very very yummy yummy :biggrin:

so good, love the whipped cream!!

fishoholic
07-13-2009, 11:36 PM
so good, love the whipped cream!!

That's the best part :mrgreen: I have to say the strawberries and cream drink is one of my all time favorite drinks.

StirCrazy
07-14-2009, 05:15 AM

hey quite trying to hijack the thread :mrgreen:

seriously though, how much money threads don't last to long as it is to depressing to think about how much you have spent... coffee is much better as it is nothing on the wallet compared to tank:lol:

Steve

Aquattro
07-14-2009, 05:20 AM
coffee is much better as it is nothing on the wallet compared to tank:lol:

Steve

Maybe for you!!

Navarchus
07-14-2009, 06:09 AM
I prefer coffee maker like these:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_uxCgBLJKy-Q/R4hygj4gCYI/AAAAAAAAAXA/XqSIXLD-Mrk/s512/Picture.jpg
http://www.reef-center-host.com/pix/albums/userpics/10429/normal_P1170171.JPG
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb35/mylittleocean/Picture1212.jpg

And some rea maker:

http://www.reef-center-host.com/pix/albums/userpics/10053/normal_20102007037.jpg

:)

banditpowdercoat
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Well, maybe I'll hold off on the JL order then.....