PDA

View Full Version : what is this worm? Parasite?

c_scherer123
07-10-2009, 03:50 AM
I got some corals recently (my first - I am new at reefing) and the mushrooms have been slightly curled since I got them. I thought my lighting was too strong and moved them into the shade. Tonight I noticed several white, curly worms on the underside of the mushroom cap. (posted links as I consider to picts too large to post without bothering people with 800x600 screen settings).
What are they and how do I get rid of them? They are worms right? They are attached pretty well as I tried to remove one to get a closer shot (and failed...).
http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq176/c_scherer123/aquarium/mushroomworm1.jpg
http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq176/c_scherer123/aquarium/mushroomworm.jpg

My water is testing in at near perfect levels, I tested because when something looks out of whack I immediately suspect the water quality.

christyf5
07-10-2009, 04:08 AM
I don't think those are parasites, I think they are the mushroom itself. When they start to go downhill they appear. I'm not sure what they are, whether they're something structural or perhaps a vascular system or something. One of the first time I had mushrooms die in my tank they melted down and all that was left were those white curly things.

Aquattro
07-10-2009, 04:09 AM
No idea, never seen those before. You could try a quick fresh water dip, that might dislodge them. Or not worry about it unless you notice them doing something bad.

Aquattro
07-10-2009, 04:09 AM
No idea, never seen those before. You could try a quick fresh water dip, that might dislodge them. Or not worry about it unless you notice them doing something bad.

Ok, Christy knows more than I! :)

christyf5
07-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Ok, Christy knows more than I! :)

LOL, thats doubtful Brad, I guess i just know mushrooms. Wait, no, thats not what I meant.... :razz:

Aquattro
07-10-2009, 04:16 AM
I guess i just know mushrooms. Wait, no, thats not what I meant.... :razz:

Ya, we know what you meant. For sure. Yup.

noirsphynx
07-10-2009, 04:16 AM
I agree, those aren't worms. I've had that happen in my tank if the mushroom gets torn or if it's on it's way out. It was great in my tank. Here's a pic of it on May 29 not long before you took it home.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/noirsphynx/SexyShrimpMushroomsMay2909.jpg

blacknife
07-10-2009, 04:31 AM
One of mine did that when i was chipping it off the rock it was on. I read on RC what they were called. i just left them in peace in a nice place and they cleared up over a few days.

chandigz
07-10-2009, 04:31 AM
I've seen damaged mushrooms that looked like that. I think its basically some of its innards hanging out thru the outer skin.

dreef
07-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Dip a shroom in fresh water for flatworms,the coral will expel them.When they are stressed or hurt you will see them.

Zoaelite
07-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Thats just a little bit of the corals digestive cavity, they usually expell them if there a little stressed.

Coincidentally
07-10-2009, 05:08 PM
One of my hairy mushrooms did this when it got knocked over on its face, was gone the next day and the mushroom is now fine. Another one of my mushrooms did this and then split the next day. Definitely part of the mushroom itself.

c_scherer123
07-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree, those aren't worms. I've had that happen in my tank if the mushroom gets torn or if it's on it's way out. It was great in my tank. Here's a pic of it on May 29 not long before you took it home.

I saw them in your tank - they looked great. I thought a worm might have hitchhiked with a piece live rock. After the people saying it is due to the mushroom being stressed, I suspect they are still getting more light them they prefer... I understand the purple mushrooms really prefer shade. I will look closer when I get home, and move the worst off into the shadiest areas and see if that helps. And to think I was worried about not having enough light with that one lonely T5 bulb...

marie
07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I believe they're called mesenterial filaments

justinl
07-11-2009, 12:46 AM

I don't think so. The only time anemones extrude these are when they're fighting another coral that is intruding on their territory or something.

If you've ever fragged mushrooms, you'll see that these are just shroom guts. The fact that the shroom is extruding them makes me think that the underside of the shroom was abraded. Have you recently pressed on the shroom? maybe when you moved it?

c_scherer123
07-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I don't think so. The only time anemones extrude these are when they're fighting another coral that is intruding on their territory or something.

If you've ever fragged mushrooms, you'll see that these are just shroom guts. The fact that the shroom is extruding them makes me think that the underside of the shroom was abraded. Have you recently pressed on the shroom? maybe when you moved it?

I recently got them from noirsphynx (lovely tanks, and their clownfish are breeding) so they got moved around when I placed them into the tank, and probably slid around in the transport bag a bit. Not to mention a 4hr trip home...
How good are the chances of them surviving? I did move them into the shade and they seem much happier already, opening the cap instead of it being all shriveled. The one that was in shade from the beginning is already splitting.

i have crabs
07-11-2009, 03:43 AM
im quite shure thats what the are too,
calfo's book defines mesenterial filaments as internal filamentous material that can be everted defensively with stinging and digestive enzymes

ill just keep calling them mushroom guts since thats what they are

noirsphynx
07-11-2009, 04:38 AM
I recently got them from noirsphynx (lovely tanks, and their clownfish are breeding) so they got moved around when I placed them into the tank, and probably slid around in the transport bag a bit. Not to mention a 4hr trip home...
How good are the chances of them surviving? I did move them into the shade and they seem much happier already, opening the cap instead of it being all shriveled. The one that was in shade from the beginning is already splitting.

Oops, maybe it's not the mushroom from me then? You must have me an Ed mixed up again, lol. I'm the one that met you at Timmie's.
Mushrooms are pretty hardy so hopefully it should be okay, just don't fuss around with it.

Myka
07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
i don't think those are parasites, i think they are the mushroom itself. When they start to go downhill they appear. I'm not sure what they are, whether they're something structural or perhaps a vascular system or something. One of the first time i had mushrooms die in my tank they melted down and all that was left were those white curly things.

+1. :)