PDA

View Full Version : GHA in overflow

bignose
07-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I have long GHA growing inside my overflow box. Does work like chaeto and pull nutrients from the water? Should I get rid of it? There's none in the tank except inside the overflow box so I don't see it.

BlueAbyss
07-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Any algae that grows fast and is harvested regularly will act as nutrient export... the key is the 'export' part. I would scrape some off regularly, collecting (and removing) the scraped algae... couldn't hurt. Sort of like an in-tank algae scrubber.

Having GHA in your overflow probably doesn't hurt anything if it isn't taking over your tank (or plugging the drain).

Skimmerking
07-05-2009, 02:59 PM
the reason the GHA is in your over flow is from the short depth of water the light is so intense and the algae will grow faster witht he nutrients traveling throu the over flow at the top......

mine has the same. i just let it grow.

fishytime
07-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I had crap loads of algae in my overflow as well....then I started doing my dosing in the overflow box instead of in the sump and that seemed to knock it back a bit.

bignose
07-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I guess I would work like a turf scrubber, I never thought of it that way. I'm just glad it's in the overflow and not in the display. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Eb0la11
07-06-2009, 01:49 AM
What does GHA stand for? I see that acronym everywhere but have no idea. Thanks!

xtreme
07-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Green hair algae

Navarchus
07-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi
Personally I like my overflow box clean of anything. This is a crucial water pass that you don’t want to be blocked for any reason!

I would do the following:
Install 100 micron sock on the outlet in the sump.
Use a scraper and a clean Toothbrush to get rid of it !
The reason for using the sock is to prevent the GHA from spreading in your tank.
For local treatment I have also found Kent Marine poliox as a solution. Injecting directly the daily dose on the GHA after closing all water movement, help me to get rid of a GHA located underneath my golden tip purple acropora. Just be very careful with this stuff it is very strong oxidizer and should be used in an established system!

BlueAbyss
07-06-2009, 04:54 AM
I use the 'plastic canvas' mesh in my HOB filters to collect the tufts, really any relatively fine mesh should work.

Navarchus
07-06-2009, 05:25 AM
I think that in sump setup the best way to trap unwanted particles, is to use a sock, all other methods are not "sealed" enough, water always find bypass.