PDA

View Full Version : Coral food?

Atmos
07-04-2009, 04:15 AM
I want to start feeding my corals some food, they look healthy since they get plenty of light but i want to make them grow bigger/faster... anyone know of some food to feed them?

intarsiabox
07-04-2009, 05:40 AM
What type of corals do you have? Different corals like different food. The size of your tank matters as well, liquid foods in nano reefs pollute very heavily. Myself I have used Reef-Roids in the past which claims to be good for all filter feeding corals. I didn't get any algae blooms from it and the corals seemed happy. I didn't have corals for a couple years and am just getting back into them with a 20g reef and still using reef-roids with no problems but I am sure someone with more experience may have some other good sources of food.

Atmos
07-04-2009, 06:36 AM
ive just had someone suggest coral frenzy i think thats the name i was looking for. thanks

Myka
07-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Be careful when you feed powdered or liquid foods into the water column, they are very easy to overdose which will cause nitrates, phosphates, and resulting algae issues.

I do feed Coral Frenzy, but I mix about 1/8th tsp into some tank water in a cup, and then use a turkey baster to suck it up, and target feed the corals that will eat it (in my tank this is the various brain corals, some small Blastos, and my baby clam). I only feed this once a week, and that's going into a 90 gallon tank.

Hangfire
07-04-2009, 11:36 PM
What would you suggest to feed sun coral in a small tank? I've been feeding coral frenzy - and it likes it, but the algae is now pretty bad. Should I go with frozen foods like mysis shrimp, and suck up what doesn't get eaten?

On a totally different topic, can anyone that has a sun coral answer this question for me - I noticed the other night after feeding that it appeared to be expelling small orange pellets. Are these eggs/larvae? There was quite a few expelled and I hadn't noticed them before. I will say that my coral is growing nicely and appears to be quite healthy despite the algae. I do weekly water changes of at least 30%.

Navarchus
07-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi,
Look it is very important to know what corals you have.
The mane reason imo is that different types of food come in different types of size and are suitable for different kind of corals.

Another thing to consider is the method you keep your system. If it is kept on a very low nutrients regime such as KZ or FN (sps dominated tanks) feeding daily will be necessary. Otherwise feeding once or twice a week will do the job.

Just remember that when you feed your fish some of their food will become food source for your corals.

I recommend Kent marine as a supplemental coral food, some amino acid is very important ino.

Coral Frenzy is an excellent food containing food for all sorts of corals + amino acid.

whatcaneyedo
07-05-2009, 04:39 PM
What would you suggest to feed sun coral in a small tank? I've been feeding coral frenzy - and it likes it, but the algae is now pretty bad. Should I go with frozen foods like mysis shrimp, and suck up what doesn't get eaten?

On a totally different topic, can anyone that has a sun coral answer this question for me - I noticed the other night after feeding that it appeared to be expelling small orange pellets. Are these eggs/larvae? There was quite a few expelled and I hadn't noticed them before. I will say that my coral is growing nicely and appears to be quite healthy despite the algae. I do weekly water changes of at least 30%.

Target feed each polyp mysis using a turkey baster roughly three times a week. I dont know about the discharge but it does sound like spawning. Some corals are self fertilizing while others are not. Let us know if more magically begin to appear throughout your tank.

Navarchus
07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I used to use a turkey baster or Kent marine squirt with a small modification!
I took a soft drink 2 litter plastic bottle; cut it half the middle and then I inserted the squirt/turkey baster into the bottle neck.
Now in order to feed the coral you load the squirt/turkey baster with mysis and cover the coral with the half bottle, sort of dome shape. Then discharge the food.

Hangfire
07-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to let you know if small sun corals start popping up in the tank.

Atmos
07-07-2009, 03:51 AM
yah thanks, now i know how to feed coral frenzy once it arrives! XD