PDA

View Full Version : Xenia

Chad
07-17-2003, 08:28 PM
ok,

I have some Xenia that seems to be in decline, I checked the ALK and it seems pretty spot on, but the Iodine I am not so sure about. What is happening is they are getting smaller and smaller.. shrinking basicly.. Anyone have any other thoughts? I do add Zooplankton etc..

Chad

Aquattro
07-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that, but if you figure out how you're doing it, let me know!! I wish mine would do that! :razz:

Chad
07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear that, but if you figure out how you're doing it, let me know!! I wish mine would do that! :razz:

Lol, yes, it seems either you love em or hate em, since they were my first coral I'd like to keep them alive :biggrin:

Chad

Jacoda
07-20-2003, 01:36 AM
My xenia colony crashed du to extend high temperature (over 85 degree for more then one week) and bad water perimeter.
It's recovering now since I start to use the calcium reactor.

ABreefkpr
07-20-2003, 04:00 AM
I could never get it to grow either. Until now and I think I'm with Brad. It looks like it might take over.

Keith

Chad
07-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Well all my other corals seem to be growing well. So the Xenia is making me ponder. The ALK it up, I checked the CA it is around 400 or so. No clue on the Iodine but I do add a supplement.

While I am at it, I have some Green Star Polyps that do not extend all the way. The just pop themselves out and that is it. It is growing and covering the rock but just not opening all the way. Anyone have a clue on that one?

Chad

ABreefkpr
07-20-2003, 04:30 PM
How long have you had xenia? has the amount of current changed? I think they need alot of current and a fair amount of light to grow.

Keith

kari
07-20-2003, 05:41 PM
No clue on the Iodine but I do add a supplement.

While I am at it, I have some Green Star Polyps that do not extend all the way. The just pop themselves out and that is it. It is growing and covering the rock but just not opening all the way. Anyone have a clue on that one?

Chad

Maybe you have been over doseing iodine? I've noticed GSP really doesn't like "Lugols" (eg. polyps remain retracted most of the time)

Stretch
07-20-2003, 07:01 PM
I try to keep my ph around 8.4, i keep my xenia in a lower flow area, and dose iodine on occassion and it grows like a weed

Tropical Paradise
07-26-2003, 08:40 AM
hi chad,

try to put xenia in a higher lighting area. What kind of tank do you have now? Sorry to hear that the GSP is not doing well. You know it grows like weed in that small tank. I have sinced then tear off some GSP and placed it in my main tank. It is beginning to spread like carzy again. This time I glued it on a Tonga Branch rock, so then I would have GSP spread like a huge gorgornian.

:cool:

Chad
07-27-2003, 04:21 AM
The GSP is doing good, just not expanding fully. It is growing and covering the two rocks I have it on quite well so I am not terribly worried about them. Just wish they would fully expand. Though they do represent their namesake in my tank extremely well. Look like a carpet of Green Stars...

Chad

Tropical Paradise
07-27-2003, 07:43 AM
The GSP is doing good, just not expanding fully. It is growing and covering the two rocks I have it on quite well so I am not terribly worried about them. Just wish they would fully expand. Though they do represent their namesake in my tank extremely well. Look like a carpet of Green Stars...

Chad

Glad to hear that! How long does these polyps extend out? I am often wondering about this because I look at GSP freshly imported, they have shorter tenticles and looks like a flower. In my aquarium morph, the tenticles are long about 3/8" of an inch, which is unusual. Anyone have any thoughts?

What do u think placing Xenia higher in your tank? IME, they pulse more when there are more light.