PDA

View Full Version : Updated Stocking List

Eb0la11
07-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Hey guys,

is there a place to post my stocking list? This is what Im thinking of having in my 165G display tank. This will be a reef tank.

Clean Up Crew

Brittle Star x 2
Emerald Crab x 2
Blue Legged Hermits x 15
Peppermint Shrimp x 2
Snails (not sure of kinds or amounts yet)
Perhaps Long Spined Urchin (is there anything bad with these guys for a reef tank other than the occasional knocking over of frags/corals?) x 1
Perhaps Tiger Tail Cucumber x 1-2

Fish

Ocellaris Clown Fish x 2
Regal Tang x 1
Fox Face x 1
Powder Blue Tang x 1
Yellow Tang x 1
Dracula Goby x 2-4
Two Spot Goby x 2
Mandarin Psychadelic/Spotted x 2 total (this will be once my tank is established for 6-12 months of course)

I also would love a small schooling fish. What do you guys think of my stocking list? See any problems? What corals would I be unable to get because of one of these fish, if any? Thanks guys!

xtreme
07-02-2009, 04:09 AM
What is a blue dolphin tang? Have the scientific name?

Eb0la11
07-02-2009, 04:15 AM
What is a blue dolphin tang? Have the scientific name?

Oops, meant Blue Tang or Regal Tang, used to saying blue dolphin from the fresh water fish for some reason.

bowkry
07-02-2009, 04:21 AM
do you mean two of each when you say x2 if so two tangs or two foxfaces will not go. The tangs esp. they will kill each other eather right away or they will get along great for a bit then they will rip each other apart.

xtreme
07-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Regal tangs are very cool, but why do you want a two? I'd only get one and save some space for another type, there are many beautiful tangs.

Eb0la11
07-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Wow, news to me. So tangs dont like their own kind eh? Good to know. We're likely to someday get a powder blue tang and prob a yellow tang too then. I'll update the list.

Is a foxface in the tang family?

xtreme
07-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Foxfaces aren't tangs, but I'd stick to only one of them, they do get quite large. Yellow tangs are hardy and will do well in your tank. Be careful with powder blues, they are notoriously hard to keep and if you decide to try one do your research and make sure your tank is well established.

fishoholic
07-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Wow, news to me. So tangs dont like their own kind eh? Good to know. We're likely to someday get a powder blue tang and prob a yellow tang too then. I'll update the list.

Is a foxface in the tang family?

No a foxface is a rabbitfish. Just so you know (for future reference) unless two of the same fish are a mated pair (including mandarin gobies) it is highly likely that one will eventually kill the other one. There are schooling fish that you can buy and have multiples of, but again, you need 3 or more for them to school, if you only have 2 they will fight to the death.

My experience with a Long Spined Urchin was that they are a PITA. They get large quickly and take up a lot of space as well as they will knock over any corals that are not glued down. They also eat the coraline algae that grows on live rock, so if you want nice purple looking rocks that wont happen with a Long Spined Urchin in the tank.

Eb0la11
07-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Hmmm, some interesting info. I knew that about mandarins. I plan on getting a male and female. Not sure if I can have 1 target mandarin and 1 psychedelic or not but others have said its possible. One guy said he had 3 in a tank similar size of mine with no problems, perhaps cause of lots of space to run and hide. So I likely will try it, but will make sure theres no problems before I let it be. Dont worry.

I doubt I'll get an urchin now, thats too bad. Is it a good idea to ever have one in like a 12G refugium? Prob not hey? Gets too big?

Eb0la11
07-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Also, so what are my options for schooling fish? I wanted blue chromis but I hear they eventually kill each other off too, so Im not that interested anymore. What are some other reef safe options?

What about cardinals? I love them but I hear they are too passive for some of my other fish? Is that true? Would the 165G size of my tank allow them?

hummer
07-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Also, so what are my options for schooling fish? I wanted blue chromis but I hear they eventually kill each other off too, so Im not that interested anymore. What are some other reef safe options?

What about cardinals? I love them but I hear they are too passive for some of my other fish? Is that true? Would the 165G size of my tank allow them?

Anthias are schooling fish. But from what I've read, fish only school for protection. After a while they will all just swim off on their own.
I have 2 cardinals and they are very passive. Not very exciting to watch.
You can try this site for some general info on compatibility.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm
If you go to the home page there is also information on fish too.

fishoholic
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Hmmm, some interesting info. I knew that about mandarins. I plan on getting a male and female. Not sure if I can have 1 target mandarin and 1 psychedelic or not but others have said its possible. One guy said he had 3 in a tank similar size of mine with no problems, perhaps cause of lots of space to run and hide. So I likely will try it, but will make sure theres no problems before I let it be. Dont worry.

I doubt I'll get an urchin now, thats too bad. Is it a good idea to ever have one in like a 12G refugium? Prob not hey? Gets too big?

Cool, I figured you were looking at getting a mated pair, and yes the long spine urchin will get way to big for a 12g refugium.

As for schooling fish you could try these:

Chalk Bass Serranus tortugarum (dwarf seabass)
Max length - 3.1 inches
Range-Tropical western atlantic

Very peaceful fish, but are known to jump. It is better to keep them in odd numbers ex. 3, 5, 7.

Cardinals are a good choice too, they are passive but should be ok with the other fish you want.