PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a remora pro or Tunze Universal 220/3 skimmer

newgeek
07-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone,
Is anyone running the mentioned skimmers, I have read more than I care to and am sitting where I started with the decision making process. Opinions, suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated. It will be run on a 72G and space is a little on the tight side in the stand also it needs to be quiet.
Thanks everyone, have a great day
Kelly

Jedi68
07-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I ran a Remora Pro for my 77gal for a couple of years. It did a great job and then I upgraded to an in-sump skimmer. The remora was slim enough to fit behind my tank. I kept a lot of different LPS. The noise from the skimmer was more noticeable when I am sitting there in the middle of the night with my flashlight looking for new hitchhikers in my tank.

newgeek
07-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks Jedi. What pump did you run it with?
Kelly

Jedi68
07-17-2003, 09:34 PM
I had the Rio and I think they have added the Maxi as the optional pump. The Maxi would be better, but I have no complaints about the Rio.
Further to my thoughts earlier; The collector cup was easy to clean and the whole unit was relatively easy to maintain.

newreefy
07-18-2003, 12:49 AM
I run the remora pro on my 65g with an 802. I used to have a Rio pump but that became to noisy, so i switched. The skimmer does a great job but i do find it a little noisy regardless of the pump.

ron101
07-18-2003, 01:47 AM
I run a Remora Pro with a Mag 5 on my 90 gal. Good performance and fit. I also use the pre-skimmer box and grow caulerpa in the output side for nutrient removal. Overall I like it.

Like everyone else says it is on the noisy side. The spray injection design and the fact that it is a hang-on model means it makes noise and it isnt dampened out inside the cabinet.

Factory pump options are the Rio or the Mag 3. The mag is probably the better option. There are some horror stories about Rio's exploding and releasing some ugly liquid into tanks.

newgeek
07-18-2003, 02:49 AM
I run a Remora Pro with a Mag 5 on my 90 gal.
Do you find a problem with micro bubbles using the mag 5? I was thinking about using the same pump was just a little unsure if it could handle that kind of water volume.

tkhawaja
07-18-2003, 04:40 AM
I installed a 230/3 in my sump with the sump stand kit because I have very little room under my tank. I only have about 18" clearance. I think some other skimmer might remove more skimmate but I like the concept used by Tunze, atleast on this model. I'm sure you've read their website but I'll post it here for everyone else's benefit. The protein from the water in an area inside the skimmer is removed by the bubbles. The protein from the water flowing by defuses into the water inside the skimmer. I like this very much as any organisms under their own powre are not drawn into the skimming area. But you need to provide a low flow sump for the skimmer to work properly.

My tank is still cycling so I don't really have a good idea how it works with regular feedings going on. But, right now I probably remove about 100ml of liquid skimmate every day or two. The other thing you should keep in mind is that since most of the tank water does not go through the skimmer itself, there is very little gas exchange benefit from this model.

newgeek
07-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks again for all the replies everyone.
Kelly

ron101
07-18-2003, 05:42 PM
I run a Remora Pro with a Mag 5 on my 90 gal.
Do you find a problem with micro bubbles using the mag 5? I was thinking about using the same pump was just a little unsure if it could handle that kind of water volume.

No bubble problems. However they could be filtered out by the caulerpa and the sponge at the bottom of the preskimmer return box. The only mods I had to make for the mag 5 was to double zip-tie the tube on cause it would blow off and I had to cut the forementioned sponge in half to increase the flow as the output box would overflow.

tkhawaja
07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
One more thing. The 230/3 was a plug and skim model. It comes with everything needed to get skimming.