PDA

View Full Version : HElp water every ware

Trevor Robertson
07-17-2003, 01:35 PM
my tank is evey ware pelase help!! I have 100 gal of water on my new carpet in basement, can't type must try to soak up water, if you can help ASAP PLEASE CALL 406-2474 NOW

thanks

Trevor Robertson
07-17-2003, 02:19 PM
well it is 8:15AM now and most of the main water has been soaked up. But I do only have about 30-40gal of water still in the tank. I am hoping that someone can hold my fish for me and my very few 4 corals untill I get the tank up and running again.

and if any one can please give me some tips on recomended ways to get everything up and going again that would be great.

Just to let you know what happened quickly, my tank is fine it was one of the tubes coming from the filter that was putting water back in the tank, it some how flew out of the tank and then kindly emptied water on to the flow for me! arrr! Also it almmost started a fire as when I got downstairs i saw a light switch (that is one of those cool foot switch things) smoldering on the floor! well it could be worse

spikehs
07-17-2003, 02:58 PM
that sucks, I just had a flood too. I'd glue/clamp those hoses back on so it doesn't happen again.

Trevor Robertson
07-17-2003, 05:50 PM
okay well the carpet guy was here and sucked up as much as he could, now I have this large fan dring my carpet, he said that I have to move the tank so that he can clean under and behind it. How do I do that, It has a buch of rock and sand still in it and it is VERY heavy? I need to move it about a foot out and a few inches up (so that he can get under it!)

any idea's.

I am this close to just selling the tank stand and canopy and just converting my 55 gal freshwater tank.

If I was to do that could some one tell me what is involved in converting a tank from Fresh to salt? is it hard, can it be done in one day so that I can just move my fish and rock and sand up to this tank.

Any help would be just great!

EmilyB
07-17-2003, 06:32 PM
I have a lot of flood experience...... :rolleyes:

Personally, I've never been able to move the tank to get under it. I suppose that little problem will be there when we finally take the tank down.

Just be sure you have good aeration in there while the water is low. I wouldn't actually be dumping in that much new water all at once. It's quite hard on things.

Hopefully someone local to you can help you out a bit, it helps to have someone around just to commiserate with you a bit.....(right Alan?)

AJ_77
07-17-2003, 08:33 PM
I agree with EmilyB, concentrate on the big tank, and leave the carpet issue for when you move out of that house. You 've got to refill that tank - hopefully you can do it over the course of a few days without too much trauma to the inhabitants.

Even with 3/4 of the water out, there's no way to move a big tank in short order, without removing it. It will still be very heavy as you say, and not much water should seep underneath, as the carpet and underlay will be in serious compression.

Chin up, Trevor - you'll get through this. It's your First Flood Story!
:eek:

Trevor Robertson
07-17-2003, 10:24 PM
okay well I thought that I would give you all an update.

all live rock and fish (with the exception of my very cool 6 line wrasse are now out of the tank. the reason that the wrasse is not out is that I could not find him, I am guessing that he/she is under the sand as I have heard that they will do that as a defence manover.

I have taken all most all the rest of the water out of the tank and have two rubber made containers holding my live rock. The fish are in about 3 gal :eek: of tank water in a home depot bucket and a heater (I hope that heater does not get to hot and melt the bucket and all happen again. The rock rubbermaids have a powerhead and heater in them as well.

I had a friend come over and we did get the tank moved :shocked!: about a foot away from the wall so that they can get in there and clean it up, and I thought that they compression from the tank would not let water under it but it was very wet and I am glad that I moved it. so that it can be cleaned proporly.

I am still hoping that I can have someone fish sit for me as I am very worried about 6 fish (one of wich is a tang) in 3 gal of water :evil: so if any one could lent some space in there tank that would be just great!

Now I have to book the carpet guys to come back and get that wonderful fish smell out of my new carpet.

well thanks to all that have let me vent my frustrations here, I have decided that I love my big tank to much to not set it up again, so I will working on that this weekend.

I will keep you all up dated as things change.

Quinn
07-17-2003, 10:41 PM
If no one else is available, I do have a fairly large tank that could probably accomodate your livestock. However I'm a bit of a drive away, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get your fish out of my tank once they're in it. But let me know if I can provide some type of assistance.

Could you get yourself a large tub from Walmart, throw your livestock in it with some powerheads and get away with that for a few days?

Trevor Robertson
07-18-2003, 01:12 AM
If no one else is available, I do have a fairly large tank that could probably accomodate your livestock. However I'm a bit of a drive away, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get your fish out of my tank once they're in it. But let me know if I can provide some type of assistance.

Could you get yourself a large tub from Walmart, throw your livestock in it with some powerheads and get away with that for a few days?

well thanks for the offer but yes I don't plan on going to Red Deer for a few weeks.

I think that I may have to go the tub route, as it looks like I am going it alone

ABreefkpr
07-18-2003, 02:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems Trevor. I live in Drayton Valley and have alot of extra space. I have an established 50 gal with nothing but live rock and sand. I could put your fish in this until you get things straightened out.

Keith

Trevor Robertson
07-18-2003, 04:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems Trevor. I live in Drayton Valley and have alot of extra space. I have an established 50 gal with nothing but live rock and sand. I could put your fish in this until you get things straightened out.

Keith

Thanks Keith;

do you work in the city?

if so please call me at work tomorow at 453-9379 and I will take you up on your offer

mark
07-18-2003, 05:30 AM
Have a 75g, no sump, FOWLR, currently stocked with a tang, 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 bi-colour dottyback plus a cleaner shrimp. Lighting is 80atts. I'll be around home until Friday afternoon, but then leaving until Sunday PM.

I'm around the Bonnie Doon area if I can help.

mark
07-18-2003, 05:31 AM
Also have a 10g Qtank not in use (no water) if that helps

mark
07-18-2003, 06:04 AM
Not backing out on the offer to help but have you thought about a LFS for boarding, eg. unless AI just got a shipment they might have room in a tank in their Q-section.

ABreefkpr
07-18-2003, 12:42 PM
No I don't and unfortunately I am running down to Calgary today. If I wasn't I would have come into Edmonton to pick them up. Maybe we can make some other arrangements. I will call you when I get home this evening.

Keith

Trevor Robertson
07-18-2003, 02:01 PM
well thanks for all the offers that really shows how great a board like this is, but I must say that with the stress they all passed away over night.

thanks and I hope to be up and running again soon.

EmilyB
07-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that. :cry:

Jason McK
07-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Oh man Sorry to hear that. :sad:
Glad to hear your continuing

Keep us posted we/re routing for you

Jason