PDA

View Full Version : How do I kill mushrooms

bowkry
07-01-2009, 05:56 PM
My tank is infested with mushrooms. Most of my tank is large rock with sps but the rocks are covered with mushrooms and they are killing my sps's. I have introduced a emperior (he ate my sps, had to sell him) I have a personifier he is totaly reef safe (thats awsome but) I have tried joes juice but it just shrinks them. If any one has any other ideas please tell me. I am ready to break my corals off and blast of my rock but some of my rock is like 30 - 40 pounds per piece:twised:

bowkry
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Or what corals will kill them

Aquattro
07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
You'll probably need to manually remove them, I don't think anything kills them. I had blue mushrooms kill my hydnophora, which is one of the nastiest corals out there.

Marlin65
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I kill them off successfully with injecting them with Calcium chloride or with kalk paste. Kills them off in a day. Just inject some in the center of the mouth
with a syringe and needle. They sell those at the plastics shops.

MikeP
07-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm trying to get rid of some shrooms for the same reason as you. I've tried vinegar and they survived then I tried a mix of boiling water and vinegar but that didn't work either. I was thinking maybe some super concentrated salt water might work? I haven't tried kalk paste yet. They seem pretty indestructible so I think manual removal might be the only way :(.

whatcaneyedo
07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm cooking a rock right now to get rid of the green mushrooms that magically appeared on it one day... I've never tried kalk paste for them but a friend of mine has and claims to have good results with it. Lately my other solution to all of my tank problems has been a handy little butane torch I bought at Princess Auto for $10. I've torched green star polyps, anthelia and hair algae with it so far. Works like a charm and leave a nice burnt seaweed smell that I think gets you high :mrgreen:

PoonTang
07-02-2009, 02:47 AM
I am in the middle of the same process right now. Using a big 15cc syringe and doing one ov vinegar and 1 of kalk grunge from the bottom of my bucket. They both work but not everytime...sometimes they just expel what you put in them. It seems you need to get it deep inside them or into the flesh. I use both because they should chemically cancell each other a bit. Repeat every 3 or 4 days so as not to nuke your tank too bad. You can also pull the rock out and power wash them off really good, LOL. Cleans the rock up really nice and then just put it back in the tank.

workn2hard2day
07-02-2009, 03:49 AM
i use joes juice and it has always worked for me.