PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a Indian Ocean Oriental Sweetlips (Plectorhinchus vittatus)

Clay&Chey
06-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Came into possession of a 4 inch Oriental Sweetlips this weekend and have a few questions for anyone that has owned this fish. Everything I`ve read says this fish not reef compatable (we have a reef tank).requires expert care. and will grow to a massive size. Please excuse the periods the comma keys not working on the laptop. So far there are no problems its eating frozen mysis and seems at home in our 125g tank. One thing i`ve noticed in the middle of the night. when i`m checking out the tank via flashlight just to see what isn`t out in the daylight. is that this fish is constantly patroling. We have a 60 inch tank so for now room isn`t a problem yet but seems weird when all the other fish got to their chosen holes or whatever this fish keeps on trucking. I know research first right but it was an impulse buy cause the tank the fish was in... well lets say it was a rescue mission. Anyhow anyone who has the knowledge and wants to share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.....

naesco
06-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Came into possession of a 4 inch Oriental Sweetlips this weekend and have a few questions for anyone that has owned this fish. Everything I`ve read says this fish not reef compatable (we have a reef tank).requires expert care. and will grow to a massive size. Please excuse the periods the comma keys not working on the laptop. So far there are no problems its eating frozen mysis and seems at home in our 125g tank. One thing i`ve noticed in the middle of the night. when i`m checking out the tank via flashlight just to see what isn`t out in the daylight. is that this fish is constantly patroling. We have a 60 inch tank so for now room isn`t a problem yet but seems weird when all the other fish got to their chosen holes or whatever this fish keeps on trucking. I know research first right but it was an impulse buy cause the tank the fish was in... well lets say it was a rescue mission. Anyhow anyone who has the knowledge and wants to share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.....

Clay and Chey you have answered your question. "Everything you have read says this fish is not reef compatible and requires expert care.

I have had one and it did not last although someone may have had success.
I think the problems is that we cannot duplicate if diet.

I think they should be left in the ocean and don't understand why LFS still import these fish.

Snaz
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry wrong thread. Good luck

i have crabs
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
buy silversides,smelt and shrimp, cut it up to a size it can eat, its a predator and needs to eat whole fish, pellets and mysis wont cut it for long, try to feed every second or third day,
as far as reef compatible goes, any small fish and any shrimp are gonners corals will be fine,you probably have about a year in your current tank and i would guess a final size of 18-24" for this fish in captivity which is a big fish trust me, you will probably need a 300g minimum tank within 2 years to keep this fish long term

i agree with fish store not importing these fish along with other very large fish unless ordered by someone with a proper home, im shure people with big enough systems for large fish and sharks wouldnt mind paying a larger price to get what they want, then again it might be better than ending up as chum or dinner on a beach somewhere

Clay&Chey
06-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. You guys basically reafirmed my fears. It's funny how an employee at that LFS straight up vouched that it was reef compatible and assured us it would go good in our current size tank. Now to try and catch that fish and take him back to the store. I am totally gonna question the manager why their employee would guide our choice towards a fish that was totally incompatable with our little bit of stolen ocean. The saga continues

Adam NS.
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I have had one for 4 months now in my 230.

I feed shrimp, clams, mussels, squid, mysis, brine, plankton, cyclopeeze, formula 1 and 2 , prime reef. It eats anything and everything I put into the tank.

Mine shows some of the same behavior that yours does at night, always checking stuff out with short rests in between. Judging by the behavior of mine, this fish will not tolerate other fish with similar body type,especially with new additions. I have had a couple of lps and softies in the tank and the sweetlips didn't even look at them. does not bother crabs, mushrooms, polyps, feather dusters, starfish. mine is about 4 inches right now so we will have to see when he/she gets bigger.

Here is a pic of mine

Adam

naesco
06-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. You guys basically reafirmed my fears. It's funny how an employee at that LFS straight up vouched that it was reef compatible and assured us it would go good in our current size tank. Now to try and catch that fish and take him back to the store. I am totally gonna question the manager why their employee would guide our choice towards a fish that was totally incompatable with our little bit of stolen ocean. The saga continues

Clay and Chey
Good job that you are taking it back to the LFS. Let the problem be theirs.
It is best to check out the requirements of the fish or coral before you buy rather than listen to a LFS.
A good site is www.wetwebmedia.com

naesco
06-30-2009, 08:35 PM
buy silversides,smelt and shrimp, cut it up to a size it can eat, its a predator and needs to eat whole fish, pellets and mysis wont cut it for long, try to feed every second or third day,
as far as reef compatible goes, any small fish and any shrimp are gonners corals will be fine,you probably have about a year in your current tank and i would guess a final size of 18-24" for this fish in captivity which is a big fish trust me, you will probably need a 300g minimum tank within 2 years to keep this fish long term

i agree with fish store not importing these fish along with other very large fish unless ordered by someone with a proper home, im shure people with big enough systems for large fish and sharks wouldnt mind paying a larger price to get what they want, then again it might be better than ending up as chum or dinner on a beach somewhere

There is no additional charge for a special order and don't let anyone tell you different.
The process is that all LFS receive a 'stock available list' from various exporters.
They check off the size and gender of the fish they want to order (including your special order) and the fish you want will be in the next shipment.
Obviously if you are ordering a rare species. or a high demand fish like a Juvenile Red Sea Regal Angel (others don't make it), it is supply and demand that governs.

The oriental sweetlips is a common fish but only imported by LFS that don't know what they are doing or, don't care. LFS all know the requirements of this fish.

i have crabs
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM
i just ment that im shure people would pay a premium price for fish like these if they really wanted one
which would probably be better than just having large fish hanging out in stores all the time

findingnemo1
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
like a Juvenile Red Sea Regal Angel (others don't make it),

I beg to differ on that comment. I have had two Juvenile regal angels who were not Red Sea make it just fine.

And if you search Regal Angel on Reef Central you would see MANY threads on Non red sea angels making it..