PDA

View Full Version : calcium levels not incresing??

Reef_kid
07-17-2003, 04:07 AM
my freiend has a 120gallon setup with a 150gallon ref.
his problem is that the calcium levels will not rise over 300-550ppm
no matter how much calcium additives he adds!!
now he has just purchesed a calc reactor and it is running fine but the levels of calcium in the tank dont rise!!
and his coral are doing well but dont have the growth they realy should have!! even with it it dosent change
so is there any elements that are causing the calcium chloride not to be in a highter level??
here is no percipitate so it dosent seem to be turning to carbonate
he adds all the trace elements you name it hes got it !!
ANY IDEAS
SEND THEM FORTH
WE NEED A BIO CHEM MAJOR !!!
WHERES BRAD GEMMEL WHEN YOU NEED HIM!!
:mrgreen:
i saw his tank for the first time today and it is impressive
he had a purple tang sohal and regal!!
all absolutly beutiful. he has over 1000 MH watt of light.
and all the equipment you would ever need !! he evn offered me his UV. staralizer to borrow!! :mrgreen: :biggrin:

cheers

Aquattro
07-17-2003, 04:20 AM
It's an achilles, not a sohal. And he's running a 400w 65k with actinics. But no matter. You say the calcium is 300-550ppm...which is it? 300 isn't good and 550 isn't good at the other end of the scale. Sort that out and let us know what the Ca really is.

StirCrazy
07-17-2003, 04:35 AM
Hmmm Brad must have spent a lot of money sence the last time I was there. 400 watt iwasaki and 190 watt of VHO.

now as for the problem, if you Ca is 300 it is low.. if it is 550 it is high.. so whare is it.. also we will need to know your alk. so you need to do a new test and test your ALk and your Ca then we could help you more.

Steve

sumpfinfishe
07-17-2003, 07:20 AM
:mrgreen:

OOOPPP"S :redface:

StirCrazy
07-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Rich there is another Brad we know on the Island. thats who he is talking about.

Steve

Reef_kid
07-18-2003, 07:20 PM
its not brad his name is dell and he is having problems raising his calcium above 350ppm sorry about the 550ppm that was a miss type
he has 1000 watts over his tank so there is enough light
i know brad gemmel has no problrms with his calcium or his tank in fact but hes realy good at figuring out the nature of chemicals in the aquarium since he studies that at school!!
dell has a sohal, purple tang, blue tang
sorry about hte mix up in people !!

:confused:

DJ88
07-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Ca reactors only maintain levels.

To get them up where they should be use a Ca supplement. Turbo Calcium or something like that.

Once they are where they should be his reactor needs to be adjusted to properly keep up with the demand.

Aquattro
07-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Supplements are good if there are no underlying problems. Dave, have him check his Mg levels, as low magnesium can affect Ca levels. Last time I was at Dell's place, he had what appeared to be pretty old test kits...make sure they are working properly.

Buccaneer
07-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Ca reactors only maintain levels.

I dont know about that Darren :biggrin:

My calcium levels before I built your dual chamber model was around 350 or so and I had to dial it back a few days ago as they had risen to 525 and DKH of 12.8 :eek:

Cheers

Aquattro
07-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Didn't even see that!! My reactor certainly raises my levels. Kalk, doesn't, but reactors do!!

DJ88
07-18-2003, 10:11 PM
If you have them cranked they will yes. I have seen it too. But then you have to readjust and dial it back or have fun with chasing numbers all over again. ;)

I like having the tank at the numbers I like and dialing the reactor in from there. :) less work. ;) And less work is good.

but that's my .02 :D

StirCrazy
07-19-2003, 01:23 AM
I like having the tank at the numbers I like and dialing the reactor in from there. :) less work. ;) And less work is good.

but that's my .02 :D

how often do you start a tank with 450Ca and 13alk?

Steve