PDA

View Full Version : Question for all w/6ft 200gal and up tanks

Skimmin
06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm still in the set up stage with my tank (210gal 72 x 24w x 28 tall, w/60gal sump) and stuck on two major components. Flow and lighting. First I'll start by mentioning that the 'plan' for the tank, is that it will be predominantly a softy/lps tank with only a few sps specimens. My goal is to have some larger fish so I'm gonna try to keep the rock work open and have lots of swimming space. (I'll probably try to go with an 'arches and pillars' rock structure) The tank has two rear corner internal overflows and has not been drilled or designed for a drilled closed loop set up(and I don't want to take the chance of getting it drilled). I do have a Dart and was thinking I might try an 'up and over' closed loop with a flow device like a squid or something but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Not only that, but in relation to powerheads the Dart uses a fair bit of power. So the only other option I can think of is powerheads. Now to powerheads?... I'm kinda stuck because I have an MP 20 right now on a smaller tank and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. From what I've been told I'll probably replacing the wet side approx once a year on the MP 40 so, on a large tank I'm assuming I would probably want 3 or 4 mp 40's and replacing the wet side on all of them once a year will get kind of costly. The other option I've seen is the Tunze and besides being a bit on the bulky side I believe they're a good product but I have really no experience with them. For lighting I was wondering if you would mind posting some pictures so I can see what different options look like. (maybe... t5, halide, t5 and halide, etc...). So that's my little dilema... If no pics are available that cool too. Just tell me what you think from your lighting and flow experiences.

Thanks for your time

xtreme
06-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I am in the same boat as you right now. I'm in the process of setting up my 280 (72x30x30) and am also undecided on what to do for flow. I currently have 2 MP40W's and was thinking of getting a couple more. Just wondering where you got the info about replacing the wet sides every year? One of mine is over a year old and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I was thinking about getting a spare wet side just so I could rotate through them and give each one a good soak in vinegar every 6 months or so.

Snappy
06-27-2009, 09:37 PM
For lighting I was wondering if you would mind posting some pictures so I can see what different options look like. (maybe... t5, halide, t5 and halide, etc...). So that's my little dilema... If no pics are available that cool too. Just tell me what you think from your lighting and flow experiences.
Lighting & flow specifics are pretty much irrelevent until you know what you want to keep for corals and other livestock. What do you have in mind? FOWLR? SPECIES? REEF? SOFTY? LPS? SPS? MIXED? Then again what kind of fish? There is a big difference in requirements for gorgonians & SPS as there is with seahorses and tangs. These are important specifics you need to factor into the equation.

Skimmin
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
start by mentioning that the 'plan' for the tank, is that it will be predominantly a softy/lps tank with only a few sps specimens. My goal is to have some larger fish so I'm gonna try to keep the rock work open and have lots of swimming space. for fish a Naso tang a yellow tang( I already have) Maybe a pair of blue throat or crosshatch triggers, maybe some anthias and wrasses... not completely decided on fish but fish aside I believe it'll be the flow for the corals I'm gonna be more concerned about than the fish. I guess I shoud clarify the corals that I already have are a big mix of zoas, palys, 4 big leathers, a fairly large kenya tree, ricordeas, mushrooms, acans, a couple small sps frags and a gorgonian. They're all 'jammed' in my 80gal right now which is 24" deep and all is doing fine under two 4ft t5's and two 3ft t5's in a less than pretty homemade canopy.

Lance
06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I have a 225g (72x30wx24) mixed reef tank. For flow I have 2x MP40's, Korallia 4, MaxiJet 1200 with upgrade and Reeflo Barracuda return pump. All told, about 50x turnover. You could go with less flow if keeping only softies and LPS. For lighting, I would recommend a minimun of 3x250W MH with T5's for actinics; 3x400W MH would be better if keeping SPS. Mine has aprox. 5 watts per gallon which I consider too low for SPS, so I have all SPS high on the rockwork.
Hope this helps you a little.

Skimmin
06-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Wowsers that's a lot of flow and lighting! I kind of figured it would take a fair bit once the tank is 6ft long. One thing I've found is that brighter lighting seems to 'urk' a lot of these corals but flow is different depending on the type. I have a 30gal that my MP20 runs on full out and its still super gentle. I tried to put a couple koralia's (can't remember the size)in the same tank and and it was way too turbulent. Diffused flow seems to be pretty important. By the way one of the LFS in Calgary is where I was told about the maintenence on the vortechs. Not sure if thats the case or not but I haven't had any issues with my MP 20 yet. I guess the other thing is I am fairly particular about having a tank that is close to silent as possible and the vortech is not exactly silent. I'm gonna have to assume that for would make a fair bit of noise. I wonder if the Tunze's are quieter?

Lance
06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=Skimmin;431502]Wowsers that's a lot of flow and lighting! I kind of figured it would take a fair bit once the tank is 6ft long.

Like someone mentioned previously, flow & lighting depends on what livestock you want to keep. SPS require the flow and light. LPS and softies, not so much.

fkshiu
06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
I've used Tunze for years and can't say enough about them. The new Stream2's are a lot less bulky than the old Streams such that the whole argument about Vortechs being so much less conspicuous than Streams is no longer valid.

The Stream2s are now programmable via a USB connector and have an available battery backup.

I'd go Tunze or Vortech over any sort of a closed loop. A lot less plumbing and electricity to deal with.

Skimmerking
06-28-2009, 03:48 AM
I have a 60x24x24 SPS tank with a mag 12 for a return and 2x MP40W on 1/2 flow if that and 3x250's on lumenarc's reeflux 12K i have lots of light and the MP40's are great for the flow in the SPS tank

Skimmin
06-28-2009, 04:22 AM
So 2 mp 40s are plenty in your tank on 1/2 flow? Doyou have lots of SPS? Because if thats enough for you in an SPS tank @ 1/2 power then that should be enough in a 6ft LPS/Softy tank. Either 2 MP 40s or two Tunze 6105s. I believe the vortech has a more diffused flow and they are smaller then the 6105s, but the 6105s put out more flow and have been proven over years to be reliable. Vortechs are still pretty new but seems like their second gen are fairly reliable. I'm still undecided on lighting though. T5s or Halides and T5s? Even though the tank is 28" deep I'm starting to think the t5s will be sufficient for the livestock I'm looking at. Just found this fixture. It has 14 t5s and looks pretty nice. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_111_112&products_id=1184

or maybe two of these although I do prefer the first fixture and right around the same cost too. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_128_57&products_id=473

banditpowdercoat
06-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Don't overlook Oceans Motions 4 or 8 way. I am loving the 4 way in my tank. Properly set up, you can have a tank with no powerheads, just sump and closed loop.

Skimmerking
06-28-2009, 04:04 PM
So 2 mp 40s are plenty in your tank on 1/2 flow? Doyou have lots of SPS? Because if thats enough for you in an SPS tank @ 1/2 power then that should be enough in a 6ft LPS/Softy tank. Either 2 MP 40s or two Tunze 6105s. I believe the vortech has a more diffused flow and they are smaller then the 6105s, but the 6105s put out more flow and have been proven over years to be reliable. Vortechs are still pretty new but seems like their second gen are fairly reliable. I'm still undecided on lighting though. T5s or Halides and T5s? Even though the tank is 28" deep I'm starting to think the t5s will be sufficient for the livestock I'm looking at. Just found this fixture. It has 14 t5s and looks pretty nice.
IMO and IME that T-5's are not good for sps at depths of 24and greater I really dnt see them having the punch like MH i have had a 8 bulb on my tank a `120 gal and my sps had to be put at the top and the clam had to be pushed up to the top too. DOug can chime in here since he took care of my tank when i was in Afghanistan and saw the results. as for the flow i had the tunze's and the vortechs i really like my 40's for the size of the unit in a tank not much space they are slim and small not big and bulky. and yes they have alot of random movments on the unit for different flow. ya they are a bit more but hey aren't we in this for $$$$$$$ and wicked equipment and fish..:biggrin:
Like i say i have 3 250's on my tank the 2 outer lights are reeflux 12K and the middle one is a20 K reef optic bulb my lighting is started at
6AM- 11am morning light its a blue flood light.
11am -2PM actinic are on
2pm-9PM out side MH are on
4pm-7pm middle is on then its in reverse order...
so not all are on the whole day remember.
i could easily run 2 250s over the 5 ft tank. you could put 2 400's over your tank and have them high enough to light your tank too remember i have done that. i used to have a 280 gal tank with all softies and lps and ran 12 NO flouresants and 1 x400 in the middle too. and the lps loved it.

HTH

xtreme
06-28-2009, 05:04 PM
The Stream2s are now programmable via a USB connector and have an available battery backup.

Looking at the J&L website it says the Stream 2 pumps are non-controllable. Does the new 7096 controller allow you to control them or am I looking at the wrong pumps?

fkshiu
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Looking at the J&L website it says the Stream 2 pumps are non-controllable. Does the new 7096 controller allow you to control them or am I looking at the wrong pumps?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/266/Tunze+Turbelle+Streams.html

Both the 6105 and 6205 are Stream2s and are controllable. That's a typo on J&L's part. There's even a more powerful 6305 available.

The either the older 7095 or the new 7096 can control them, but the 7096 is the fancy-schmancy programmable one.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Replacing 14 HO-T5 bulbs every year will be a shock to the wallet. Maybe be able to buy bulk from a supplier to save some $$.

Skimmin
06-28-2009, 06:40 PM
After you do the math on bulb replacement... 14 T5's @ $30.00 ea is actually cheaper replace than 3 'good quality' 250watt halide bulbs(approx $120ea)with 4 actinic supplements. But Honestly I'm not trying to stretch pennies. I bought what I believe is a really nice tank, a Vertex 250 Cone skimmer, I have a Dart super Gold return pump, I've decided on going with the MP40's or the Tunze 6105's and a Neptune Aquacontroller. I want to do everything right when it comes with my initial setup so I'm not upgrading down the road. If halides end up being the right choice then I'll go that route. I just don't want to rule out the t5s yet because I really like the way you can customize the color of your tank with a mix of bulbs. One thing is that I haven't found any threads or posts regarding t5s on deeper tanks except for one. Supposedly you can run with the Ice Cap t5 vho in up to 30'' of water easily but I can't find a t5 vho fixture or any information from the manufacturer backing that up. I'm confused because all I'm finding is t5 ho info not t5 vho... I'm assuming that any 3ft t5 fixture running at 39 watts a bulb is HO... is that correct?

fkshiu
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
After you do the math on bulb replacement... 14 T5's @ $30.00 ea is actually cheaper replace than 3 'good quality' 250watt halide bulbs(approx $120ea)with 4 actinic supplements. But Honestly I'm not trying to stretch pennies. I bought what I believe is a really nice tank, a Vertex 250 Cone skimmer, I have a Dart super Gold return pump, I've decided on going with the MP40's or the Tunze 6105's and a Neptune Aquacontroller. I want to do everything right when it comes with my initial setup so I'm not upgrading down the road. If halides end up being the right choice then I'll go that route. I just don't want to rule out the t5s yet because I really like the way you can customize the color of your tank with a mix of bulbs. One thing is that I haven't found any threads or posts regarding t5s on deeper tanks except for one. Supposedly you can run with the Ice Cap t5 vho in up to 30'' of water easily but I can't find a t5 vho fixture or any information from the manufacturer backing that up. I'm confused because all I'm finding is t5 ho info not t5 vho... I'm assuming that any 3ft t5 fixture running at 39 watts a bulb is HO... is that correct?

You'll miss shimmer lines ;)

Anyway, I get away with only having two halide pendants over my 6-foot tank just fine. And with LPS/softies you won't need blazing light coverage over every square inch. I know it's subjective, but I find the best lit tanks are a combo of MH/T5HO.

Lance
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I know it's subjective, but I find the best lit tanks are a combo of MH/T5HO.

I agree