PDA

View Full Version : How much do you swing?

fishytime
06-27-2009, 02:19 PM
PH wise:biggrin: Im just wondering what a normal swing in ph is in the average tank? Now that I can easily see what my PH is at any given time with the ACJR I am alarmed at how much of a swing I am getting. 7.8 in the AM and 8.3 in the evening. Is this to big of a swing?

Aquattro
06-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Is this to big of a swing?
The best ones to answer this are your tank inhabitants. Are they fine, or are they looking stressed? Personally, I think pH was invented by retailers wanting to sell things to firstly measure it, then sell you stuff to stabilize it :)
Just don't have your pH display somehwere the fish can read it, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

marie
06-27-2009, 02:51 PM
The best ones to answer this are your tank inhabitants. Are they fine, or are they looking stressed? Personally, I think pH was invented by retailers wanting to sell things to firstly measure it, then sell you stuff to stabilize it :)
Just don't have your pH display somehwere the fish can read it, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

:lol: I have to say I agree. I haven't had a problem with ph since I quit checking it over 2yrs ago

TrailFish
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
I think sudden swings in pH is what you really need to be concerned about. i.e. calcium reactor pumping excess CO2, or big dump of Kalk. Otherwise your slow pH change over the course of a day is fine. The amount of your "swing" may suggest a reduced buffering capacity of the water. You may want to have a look at your alkalinity just to be sure.

Delphinus
06-27-2009, 04:07 PM
7.8 to 8.3 is 100% normal.

But +1 to all the comments. pH of tank water in reef tanks is nearly useless to track. It's a resultant value of other more meaningful numbers.

Useful to track in a calcium reactor though, since you want to add enough CO2 to drop the pH in the chambers to 6.7.

chandigz
06-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Couldn't tell you because I haven't checked it in a long time. I realized my pH is going to do what it wants and nothing I do is going to have any real impact.

JDigital
06-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Mine swings between 8.0-8.3... posted the same question on RC and got a reply that mine was normal...

This was posted by a member there...

Originally posted by d0ughb0y:
yours seem quite stable, at least compared to mine.
you can see other people's ph charts here

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/index.php?scope=7days

its data collected from people's AC3, but you can use that service with your AC jr. with my free program (http://sites.google.com/site/acserial2web)

Myka
06-27-2009, 05:33 PM
:lol: I have to say I agree. I haven't had a problem with ph since I quit checking it over 2yrs ago

I agree. I don't test pH either.

Lance
06-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't test pH on my 90 gal, but the 225g has the AC Jr. controller. (swing of 7.9 to 8.3). Since I put the refugium on a reverse photo period the pH only differs by .2

PoonTang
06-27-2009, 06:16 PM
You can test this?

Snappy
06-27-2009, 09:58 PM
My PH jumps from 79.8 in the morning to 8.4 just before lights out but for most of the photoperiod it sits around 8.3

pterfloth
06-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Mine drops to 8.1 overnight and then climbs to 8.4 during the day. I have checked my calibration numerous times and maintain a steady temperature.

I have read that having a fuge with lighting on in reverse of the display tank can stabilize the pH. On the other hand, my SPS, LPS and fish are very happy and healthy. I've come to ingore pH and concentrate on alkalinity.

The only thing worse than having a pH meter is having 2 pH meters. They will never agree and can drive you batty.

Aquattro
06-28-2009, 12:42 AM
The only thing worse than having a pH meter is having 2 pH meters. They will never agree and can drive you batty.

Oh god, I can't even imagine!!

fishytime
06-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Well I have been trying to justify spending the cash on a ghl dosing pump....I thought if the swing I am getting was out of the normal range I could use the dosing pump to slow drip in Randy's 2 recipe for dkh ( I have been dosing recipe 1 through a fast drip a la Snappy) which in theory should keep my ph more stable. I also run my fuge lights on a reverse cycle...not sure that has any impact at all.

naesco
06-28-2009, 02:47 AM
PH wise:biggrin: Im just wondering what a normal swing in ph is in the average tank? Now that I can easily see what my PH is at any given time with the ACJR I am alarmed at how much of a swing I am getting. 7.8 in the AM and 8.3 in the evening. Is this to big of a swing?

Here you go. It is an interesting recent article by Dana Riddle who is an expert in these sorts of things. Scroll down to the PH in an aquarium part.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/6/aafeature#h7
Wayne

Snappy
06-28-2009, 03:14 AM
[quote=fishytime;431526]Well I have been trying to justify spending the cash on a ghl dosing pump....
( I have been dosing recipe 1 through a fast drip a la Snappy) which in theory should keep my ph more stable.quote]
Now that I have a GHL I notice the daily swings, never bothered measuring the swing before but now it's displayed on the controller.:lol:
That said I should have gotten one a long time ago, I like it.:mrgreen:

fishytime
06-28-2009, 03:37 AM
[QUOTE]

Now that I have a GHL I notice the daily swings, never bothered measuring the swing before but now it's displayed on the controller.:lol:
That said I should have gotten one a long time ago, I like it.:mrgreen:

aw man...what did you have to go and say that for?:mrgreen:

Here you go. It is an interesting recent article by Dana Riddle who is an expert in these sorts of things. Scroll down to the PH in an aquarium part.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/6/aafeature#h7
Wayne

Thanks Wayne...that was a great link!.....except it made me think my PH is a titch low now:lol: