PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Input, PLS!

AJ_77
04-02-2002, 03:48 PM
Seeing as there's a lack of product reviews in the appropriate forum, let me ask you all to pick between the following skimmers, both recently up for sale used:

AquaC EV-150 w/Mag 9 ($425.00)

OR:

Turboflotor 1000 Multi w/included pump ($250.00)

Please if you have used either, would appreciate your views. Thanks,

AJ

AJ_77
04-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Jon:
YES and yes, of course. Did I neglect to reply?

I may be late though; trying to stop and view some used reef stuff on the way there. Plus, you live in freaking Priddis! ;)

Got cookies? WAY! See you there,

Alan

titus
04-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Hello,

While I haven't seen in person the EV series of AquaC skimmers, I can tell you that the Turboflotor is about the same as the Remora line. In other words, not good for a large tank.

AJ_77
04-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Titus:

Turboflotor same as Remora??? (All those deceived 1000 Multi users on the other boards, giving them 'thumbs up'...)

What about for a 90gal with 33gal sump? They rate them from 125 to 250 gal, I think.
Thanks,

AJ

titus
04-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Hello,

Keep in mind a lot of people haven't seen many different kind of skimmers in action. Have they seen the different types of high aeration skimmers, venturi skimmers, airstone skimmers, remora type skimmers?

Forget about the gallonage ratings for the smaller skimmers. It's meaningless. Stock some more corals or increase your bio-load, those skimmers won't be able to do the job.

AJ_77
04-02-2002, 06:21 PM
The AquaC website (http://www.proteinskimmer.com) quotes the "Senior Aquarist" from the Birch Aquarium at Scripps, saying how his little EV-series skimmer does the job of a much larger unit, processing huge volumes of water, etc...

But they are certainly 'compact' enough, and again seem to have groups of enthusiasts willing to tout their benefits.

After much reading, we find we have not read enough...

Anyone used these units? Anyone?

AJ

canadawest
04-02-2002, 06:58 PM
You may also consider the Berlin skimmer that was posted for sale here just recently. Priced at only $200 with a Mag 7 pump.

I am currently using that exact setup (HO model) on my 100g with 10g refugium and it works great. Takes out about a half cup of skimmate per week. Fairly heavily stocked tank.

For $200, it's a better deal than the Turbofloater, and less than half the price of the EV-150 and probably just as good a skimmer on your sized tank.

Add a Kent or Mazzeii replacement venturi to the Berlin with a Mag 7 or 9, and it's one hell of a skimmer.

AJ_77
04-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Andrew:
Am I right to be nervous about buying something unseen, and out-of-province? Of course, I WANT to trust everybody, but find I cannot.
Alas...

Do you know the seller? It does look like a good deal, yes. How much would shipping be from there?

Thanks,
AJ

christyf5
04-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Hey Andrew, whos got the berlin for sale for $200?

Christy smile.gif

Troy F
04-02-2002, 09:41 PM
I would never buy another Berlin HOT, I have one that I will use for a 29gal hospital tank but I wouldn't use it on a 90. If you have a sump spend a few extra dollars and get one of the "better" skimmers. You won't be sorry for spending the money now as you won't have to upgrade down the line. JMO

christyf5
04-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Well Troy,
What are the "better" skimmers? The ones AJ_77 listed? I'm in the market for one as well and need some input.

Christy smile.gif

Troy F
04-02-2002, 11:43 PM
Precision Marine, Aqua C, EuroReef, Aerofoamer.

I can't comment on The Turbofloater 1000 with its patented something or other spray induction system but it looks along the same lines as a Berlin's patented triple pass technology.

Joking aside, I don't like the Berlin hang on tank skimmer. I've seen an in sump version of the same skimmer and they work much better. Dale has one on his 135gal and no complaints. Marc runs one of the XL units too. I don't like any HOT skimmer for bigger tanks. Remember though, what do I know? There are people running huge systems without any skimmer. It is just my opinion.

Christy if you want to try one out you can borrow mine for a couple of months and see what you think before you blow $433 after tax on a new one or $200 on a used one.

canadawest
04-03-2002, 01:17 AM
AJ, no I do not know the seller, but I would expect most of the people here could be considered trustworthy. (Otherwise we'd just go to their homes and knee-cap em!) ;)

Christy, check out the Buy&Sell here on the board. There is a Chilliwack guy, nick is "seadream". He posted it earlier today. Apparently it's an in-sump model, which Troy doesn't seem to hate so much. tongue.gif

I have to say, my HOT Berlin w/ Mag 7 works like a beast on my 100g tank, and can be made to work even better with a bigger pump (Mag 9) and/or a replacement venturi from Kent ($30) or Mazzeii ($60).

But what do we know about skimming? Heck, Titus and Darren have skimmers so oversized for their systems they must really hate dissolved organics?

PS... Troy, no sump = no in-sump skimmer! For some of us a HOT is our only choice, so we work with what we've got.

[ 02 April 2002, 21:18: Message edited by: canadawest ]

Troy F
04-03-2002, 02:19 AM
Troy, no sump = no in-sump skimmer! For some of us a HOT is our only choice, so we work with what we've got.

Well thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew it went something like that, I think I may have had it backwards though; you can't have an HOT skimmer with a sump...it gets so confusing sometimes.

I used a HOT skimmer for two years and saw its performance compared to other skimmers. I have the Berlin with a mag 7 (deceased) and I am just expressing my opinion on my experience. Another point is; you don't need a sump to run an in sump skimmer either so there is always a way around problems.

Canadian Man
04-03-2002, 04:52 AM
sorry aj have not used either but i have an off topic question for you.
did you reciece my email and are you going to come to the meeting tonight?

FishGeek
04-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Andrew.....

Do you know where I can get the kent or mazzei venturis. I'm thinking of building my own skimmer this summer!!

Simon

Delphinus
04-03-2002, 01:28 PM
you can't have an HOT skimmer with a sump...

Ehhhh? :confused:

Dang, what I have I been doing for the last 4 years then? :D

canadawest
04-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Simon, I know that Seacare orders Mazzeii venturis all the time, as well as the Kent ones. J&L also stocks the Kent ones from time to time, but last time I checked they only had a 1/2" one left and the Berlin skimmers use a 3/4" thread for a straight replacement.

I have seen Seacare's HUGE skimmer and Tim runs it with dual 1" Mazzeii venturis. The Mazzeii venturis are about twice the price of the Kent venturis but apparently produce more bubbles.

I think for a smaller skimmer like the Berlins though, a $30 Kent replacement venturi is good enough. Discussions on Reefs.org and Reefcentral.com mention that people who have replaced the RIO 2500 pumps with a Mag7 or Mag9 and added the Kent venturi have observed HUGE performance improvements on their Berlin skimmers.