PDA

View Full Version : Getting tank built?

scuglass
06-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Im looking for advice on where to get a tank built as well as what to incorporate.

I have heard good things from golds and was looking for other suggestions on where to go for quotes.

This is what im looking for as of now

48 x 24(wide) x 18(tall)
Rimless
Black silicone
Herbie overflow
One or two returns drilled in the back glass with locline returns.
Starfire on front or all 3 viewing sides.

Questions
Rimless-Pros/Cons Would those of you who have rimless tanks do it again?

Herbie overflow- How big will I need for drains. I plan on running a hammerhead or barracuda return from the basement going approx 14 feet vertically and 12 feet horizontally. Also how big of a external box will i need on the back to fit this. (prolly just wide enough for a bulk head to fit??)

Would you go one or two outputs from the return?

Anything else you would add to the tank? If Im getting it custom made I might as well add everything i can think of.

Or I can add an external box and have my three drains feed into this and have my herbie in there.... only problem is that my current holes are drilled about a foot apart on my coast to coast so id have to do something like this, http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9030/77322423.png[/URL]

Red would be the return and go over the top. Or i could drill another hole in the back and have my return there.

md14
06-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Talk to the guys over at Red Coral, you wont be dissapointed

lastlight
06-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Elite does top-notch work. If you want ground and polished edges they do that. A must I think. You wouldn't believe how many people over on that other fish site ask where I got my tank built. They assume aquarium obsessed...because it has that same professional look to it.

Skimmin
06-26-2009, 07:37 AM
I had a tank built by Gary. Went through Ocean city. It was a 4ft 120gal (Opti-white)(Opti white is super clear glass) with two rear external overflows. Gary did an amazing job on the tank AND at a more than fair price.

parkinsn
06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I had RC build my tank (well Gary) he did a great job. He also went the little extra and dropped it off at my house and helped me and my cousin unload it into my basement.

karazy
06-26-2009, 09:47 PM
elite aqutics can get that built up for you no sweat.
my tank and sump are both from there, and they rock.
plus elite aquatics has access to a CNC machine for circular corners, shapes, ect in the glass.
and all tanks are made in store (one of the only stores in canada that makes them in store)

lorenz0
06-27-2009, 06:10 AM
mine was ordered through red coral and no complaints there. instead of going rimless i highly reccomend euro bracing that tank. I personally have alot of surface tension and iwthout the bracing it would be all over the floor. just something to think about

Eb0la11
06-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Bow Valley Aquatics. Will custom build whatever you want and are very reasonably priced as they are the wholesaler who supply Big Als, Pisces etc with their tanks.

$425 for a 180G with overflows interior or exterior. Just the tank/canopy glass/trim.

Mine will be done on Monday and I can let you know how it goes.

He has all the plumbing parts you need at the shop as well - not to mention a 3 foot grand cayman alligator in a massive tank just to show off how good he is.

lorenz0
06-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Personally i would stay away from bow valley, it may be cheap but the materials used are cheap as well. if you trust some of your tank made out of a glass shower door, go for it cause it really comes down to you get what you pay for.

Snappy
06-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Starphire is nice & clear but scratches very very easily.

Eb0la11
06-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Personally i would stay away from bow valley, it may be cheap but the materials used are cheap as well. if you trust some of your tank made out of a glass shower door, go for it cause it really comes down to you get what you pay for.

Have you even seen his shop? He has tons of 12x12 (or so) sheets of glass standard on a rack against the wall.

If the tanks at Big Al's are cheap then you have a case, but they're not.

lorenz0
06-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I have seen his work and personally you get what you pay for from him. If your buying a 180 gal from him for cheaper than everyone elses qoutes, there is a reason. I was given enough reasons not to go to him. I hope you enjoy your tank and you never face what i fear about his work.

kien
06-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Do you know this for a fact or is this what you hear? I'm just curious because I'm in the same boat and looking at quotes. From what I hear he does build lots of tanks for commercial use in Canada and the US. Seems like if he cheaped out on materials all the time that his business would get a lot more complaints than I've heard. In fact you are the first person to say anything bad about them. I don't know.. Just seems like he is offering near wholsale prices to any average Joe who comes into his shop.

fishytime
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Elite does top-notch work. If you want ground and polished edges they do that. A must I think.

FWIW Gary can polish and bevel edges too. Its just an expensive option that not many people decide to go with.

If you really wanna get a feel for who does the best tanks...ask some of the peeps here with big tanks(like 300g+) who did theirs like Snappy, Yeeg etc.

fishytime
06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
In fact you are the first person to say anything bad about them. .

Mute point....anything bad said would be deleted.

Jamieh
06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I am the owner of a retail pet store and have been buying tanks from Bow Valley for about 10 years. I have never seen a big tank of Mitch's leak in all this time. The notion that Mitch uses shower doors is not exactly fact as he does use recycled glass for smaller tanks which are used for reptiles and are not meant to hold water. I actually have a 210 gallon rimless tank in my living room that has a center overflow which was built by Bow Valley. In my dealings over the years they have been extremely slow.

Doug
06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44214

Thanks

fishytime
06-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks

Here we go.....:lol:

kien
06-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Mute point....anything bad said would be deleted.

Very good point! But with all due respect, my life does not revolve around this forum :-) I was actually referring to first hand accounts of the various tank builders from calling around town and talking to people face to face where their opinions can't be silenced :-). Now, having said that, some people have PM'ed me with some more opinions good and bad of all the vendors (thanks for that). Bottom line is I recommend calling around and talking to people and get their experiences.

lastlight
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm not trying to start a war but I've been inside Bow Valley recently. My sump does in fact have a shower door on it's bottom and there are indeed massive sheets of glass on racks in the shop. Many of these massive panes of glass were still in wooden WINDOW FRAMES.

There's already enough information out there imo to make an informed decision regarding BVA. I only wanted him to cut me glass and that was a nightmare on its own.

xtreme
06-28-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks

Can Bow Valley be added to the list.:smile:

Doug
06-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Here we go.....:lol:

:faint:

Eb0la11
06-29-2009, 05:01 AM
I was at BVA recently too and the big sheets Im talking about were not in frames. I'll be there again tomorrow to pick up my tank. I'll leave a report of initial inspection and after its filled and also of the shop too.

Eb0la11
06-29-2009, 05:06 AM
I am the owner of a retail pet store and have been buying tanks from Bow Valley for about 10 years. I have never seen a big tank of Mitch's leak in all this time. The notion that Mitch uses shower doors is not exactly fact as he does use recycled glass for smaller tanks which are used for reptiles and are not meant to hold water. I actually have a 210 gallon rimless tank in my living room that has a center overflow which was built by Bow Valley. In my dealings over the years they have been extremely slow.

How is this said 210 rimless? Are you satisfied?

Jamieh
06-29-2009, 01:21 PM
The tank is Ok. It is not as refined as some of the competitions but it holds water just fine. I would add that it cost quite a bit less than others had quoted and this is what you get from BVA. I would also agree that they are a LITTLE slow in delivering. I forgot to add that I am satisified.

StirCrazy
06-29-2009, 03:47 PM
ok, I was avoiding it but I have to ask... what was the point of posting this thread, theres no ratings in it :mrgreen:

Although... Christy.. when is that poll going to be up and running :twised:

Steve

Thanks

xtreme
06-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Try this one:

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=138

mseepman
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Anyone have some more detailed opinions about Concept Aquariums in Edmonton?

sphelps
06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone have some more detailed opinions about Concept Aquariums in Edmonton?
I personally like their tanks, the attention to detail is good and they always look of good quality however they do have a premium price tag. The only problem is I have heard of two larger custom tanks here in town that leaked, the exact reason why is unknown but as far as I know the warranty was not honored by the manufacturer, which is strange because they sell their warranty as the best in the business.

As for BVA I think the build quality is fairly good, and the overall product is excellent value. I have owned a BV tank myself and never had a problem with it. I also know many others using them and never have I heard of one failing in anyway. Second what's wrong with recycling? Last time I checked this is a good thing, right? As long as the build is solid and the viewable panes are mint what exactly is the difference, if it saves you a little money and keeps the landfills a little less full it's a good thing. Third, you can get whatever you want, he will build to your specs and use whatever glass you tell him. The only issue really is time, which you need a lot of to get a custom tank from him.

lastlight
06-29-2009, 07:37 PM
If everyone shopping there knows it's recycled I have no problem with it.

I think in the end two big questions you need to ask yourself is:

1) how important is your time and

2) how particular are you about your tank. If you want ground/polished edges, really clean and straight joints, no shower door frosting/etching on the inside of your tank, things done right the first time...then choose accordingly. Again I wish I didn't look like I was dwelling on this but when I read the words starfire, black silicone, rimless etc I think of a hobbiest like myself. I've seen (and had) a lot of BVA tanks and I personally wouldn't be happy with one now and I'm trying my best to help out.

If it was in-wall I think it's MUCH less of an issue if you are patient and the glass you end up getting is scratch free.

Eb0la11
06-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Well, reports of BVA being slow can be confirmed. My tank wasnt ready on Monday as they told me. Apparently Thursday but Im not holding my breath.

kien
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, reports of BVA being slow can be confirmed. My tank wasnt ready on Monday as they told me. Apparently Thursday but Im not holding my breath.

It might be better not to rush these sorts of things anyway :-)

I myself decided to go with a BVA build. I'm totally fine with them recycling glass so long as the tank is rock solid, which it seems it will be from all accounts I've heard so far. If the tank is solid and I can see my fish through crystal clear glass then they can build my overflow box and the bottom of the tank out of coke bottles for all I care. He asked me if I wanted my tank quick or if they could take a couple of weeks to work on it. I knew better than to ask for it quick so I told them to take their time. luckily I am in no rush either.

And actually I rather enjoyed transacting with him. He knew his stuff and was very helpful in helping me design my tank. I had brought in sketches with exactly what I wanted to build and he gave lots if comments and suggestions on all aspects of my design to help refine it. He even threw in all the bulkheads that I'll need. Tank will be 72" x 22" x 22" with an external overflow box. Overflow box will be drilled with 4 1" holes for herbie drains. Eurobraced with holes in euro brace for returns to drop down into the tank. Polished edges. He showed me a bunch of tanks he had on the go for people (they looked like tanks people would put in their homes rather than commercial tanks so I think they belonged to average Joes), and they looked very nice.

I don't have my tank yet so the jury is still out.. but so far so good *fingers crossed*.

K.

sphelps
06-30-2009, 08:06 PM
One more note about BVA, don't for one second believe that he uses old shower doors and windows for glass, these would be tempered as required by safety regulations so how could someone possibly use them to make standard size aquariums? This is not what is meant by recycling. Most of the time he will use crops from other glass suppliers and shops. These shops order big sheets but cut them to customer requirements and of course there are many left overs. A smart person would buy these as they are perfectly good new pieces of glass which will save you money and allow you to sell your product for less. These big sheets will also come with etched patterns and hence you may see this on the bottom pane from time to time but it's still new glass, just as good as any other.

Really it's just time for custom work, standard tanks are dirt cheap and easy to come by.

lastlight
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
That explains my frosted sump patterns then. Thanks for pointing that out.

fishytime
06-30-2009, 09:29 PM
One more note about BVA, don't for one second believe that he uses old shower doors and windows for glass, these would be tempered as required by safety regulations so how could someone possibly use them to make standard size aquariums? This is not what is meant by recycling. Most of the time he will use crops from other glass suppliers and shops. These shops order big sheets but cut them to customer requirements and of course there are many left overs. A smart person would buy these as they are perfectly good new pieces of glass which will save you money and allow you to sell your product for less. These big sheets will also come with etched patterns and hence you may see this on the bottom pane from time to time but it's still new glass, just as good as any other.

Really it's just time for custom work, standard tanks are dirt cheap and easy to come by.

I have seen the frosting as well, with mine own two eyes:mrgreen:....and not on just Brett's tank either.

kien
06-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I saw two tanks in their shop while I was touring that had the frosted shower door like glass on it. He seems to like using them for the back or bottom pains. What he seems to like to do is suggest that he'll throw in a black or blue acrylic panel to cover up the back pane of your tank. I suppose that is fine if that was the look you were going for. I said that I needed to easily see into my overflow box from inside the tank (to observe the water level) so he's making my back pain "normal" glass, and that was that. I suppose that is one "gotcha" .. that if you don't tell him NOT to use the frosted shower doors then he will :biggrin:

Eb0la11
06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Hmmmm, wonder what kind of tank Im going to get then haha.

Either way Im not super worried. This isnt going to be my last tank, and until I get "my last tank" then I can live with some imperfections. This is my first salt water tank, after all. Im sure I'll make many errors along the way.

kien
06-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I probably saw your tank in his shop, it looked nice :-) .. unless it was the one with all 4 panes made of frosted glass.. then sucks to be you man.. hehe j/k. As I said, there were two that I saw with frosted glass for the backs and two tanks that were (as far as I could tell) made of "normal" glass all around. And then there were a crap load of obviously commercial tanks.

K.

Eb0la11
06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Kien, is that your actual name? I am selling my 135G tank and I believe I called you when you emailed me with interest.

Anyways, hopefully you saw my tank, but I doubt it. I have a feeling it wont be ready for Thursday. I guess we'll see.

Binare
07-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Heres my experience with mitch over at bow valley

I called one day, they gave me his cell number, called mitch. He told me to be at the shop in 20 minutes. 45 minutes later called him back, he said "on his way", another 30 minutes later he "forgot", finally he showed up 2 hours 1.5 hours late. At this point I put up with him cause I NEEDED that damn tank in 2 or 3 days ( like he promised over the phone). He wrote down the specs of what I wanted, price was okay... he wanted cash (seemed odd). Came back in 3 days when it was supposed to be done. Not a single damn person there knew what I was talking about, after explaining I talked to Mitch... no one was surprised. Mitch "lost" my order. It took him over 2 weeks to fulfill a 3 day order AND the glass looked it was cut with a chainsaw AND it was 3 different shades of glass AND all 3 holes drilled were the wrong size AND (had enough?) it was scratched to hell AND the silicone looked like it was painted on with a paint roller, it was all over the damn place... I could even see where they taped the shower glass doors together to hold it, too much effort I guess to scrape it down atleast.

Will I personally ever buy anything from that "professional" ever again? I'd rather slam my foot in a door and walk to work.

I was "almost" desperate again and called him again a long time after, as soon as I heard the voice and the usual "3 day pitch" I realized how dumb I was being and went to Elite.

xtreme
07-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Don't pay for the tank in full with cash. Mitch tends to 'disappear' when you do that. Pay AFTER the tank is been built.

mandarin man
07-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Please do not go Bow Valley, you would regret it.
I know some one who got Mitch to build the 200gal tank. The husband almost got into a fight with Mitch. It was a nightmare for them. Mitch really screwed them big time.

There are many places that you can go here in Calgary.

Red Coral is highly recommended.

mandarin man
07-01-2009, 03:17 AM
Forgot to mention, my brother's sump was built from Bow. Bow used a cheap piece of shower door. Mitch would not refund.

Things to note. Bow will quote a lcheaper than other places but it would hurt you in the end.

kien
07-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Don't pay for the tank in full with cash. Mitch tends to 'disappear' when you do that. Pay AFTER the tank is been built.

Geez, you weren't kidding man! I called BVA today to get an update on my tank and to confront Mitch about some of the things that were discussed here. Well, they have not even started on my tank and now Mitch has flown the coop. Mitch had to abruptly leave town and will be away for a month. I asked when I could expect to have my tank done. "Well, we have a bunch of very large orders right now so I wouldn't expect it for at least two to three weeks maybe", she says. WTF?! Two to three weeks?? Maybe?? So, I decided to pull out. I asked for a refund which she was fine with and I will be taking my money elsewhere. My biggest concern is that now someone else has to take mine and Mitch's plans and interpret them as per my discussions with Mitch. That could potentially be disastrous without Mitch there. Also, I am no longer convinced that they even care about my order from the discussion I had with them.

So, the original poster asked who we would recommend to get our tanks built. Based on my recent experience I would NOT recommend BVA. I will be going with one of the other more expensive quotes that I received (vendor previously listed in this thread).

K.

lastlight
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I spent hours waiting out in front of that shop for meetings i'd setup over the phone. He told me over the phone one time that his guy had cut himself badly at the shop and he was taking him into the ER. Guess he didn't know I'd been parked in front of the empty shop all morning.

sphelps
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Anyone else what to kick BVA while they're already down?? Yes it takes a while to get your one tank, the builds huge orders for retailers all over Canada, I would understand why your one tank isn't his top priority. It takes time to get a tank from him, so if you want it in a few weeks, best go somewhere else. But his construction and quality far exceeds the price tag, he sells tanks for less than I can get the glass for, considerably less.

And yes he goes into old houses and steals old shower doors for his tanks :crazy: What other possible reason would the glass be etched.

parkinsn
07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Anyone else what to kick BVA while they're already down??

Ya i will!! I had a 120g built by him and BOTH the side panels were crooked.

sphelps
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Ya i will!! I had a 120g built by him and BOTH the side panels were crooked.
So why did you buy a tank with crooked sides?

parkinsn
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
price was right, and once it was full your not looking at the glass your looking at whats in the glass. Its just my experience with the "construction and quality far exceeding the price tag" :wink:

sphelps
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
price was right, and once it was full your not looking at the glass your looking at whats in the glass. Its just my experience with the "construction and quality far exceeding the price tag" :wink:
Hilarious, obviously you thought it was good for the price so complaining seems pretty silly to me. FYI, a 120 gallon drilled runs for around $700 from concept here in Saskatoon.

parkinsn
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I wasn't a complaint just my experience with a tank built by BVA. There is a few posts on here about people who still bought tanks from him and were not fully satisfied with them, but from what i have read the price was right. As per post 5 on here i had RC build my tank and i very happy with it, and judging by the price you just posted.... Im definitely happy with it.

Eb0la11
07-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Alright alright alright, I think I got the most relevant information about BVA's current work on single order tanks as I picked my completed tank up today.

First of all, Mitch did leave town for a month or something like that about 7 days ago, like I think it already says in this thread. So, for the last 7 days I've been dealing with Rob, who has been nothing short of a pleasure to work with.

I've called him 3 times in that span, the first was to see if I was on pace for a Thursday pickup of last week. (This call was on Thursday morning) and low and behold the tank hadn't been started since Mitch hadn't even passed on the work order to him yet. So I simply ask if I can at least pickup the 6 glass pains for my sump that I also ordered for weirs. I rehash the numbers over the phone and he says I can pick them up later that day. I get there 45 mins early of the time we agreed and they are cut, bundled together and ready to go. I get them home and they are to spec and fit perfectly in my sump. No communication loss, even over the phone.

So, I call again on Friday because I wanted to discuss the tank build with Rob over the phone too in case he couldn't read Mitch's writing very well. Once again, very accommodating and thorough.

Then, I called Monday to confirm we were still on pace for Tuesday which was the new day Rob gave me when I made my first call last Thursday and he confirmed we were and he said to come get it Tuesday to get it and we agree on 3:00.

So I got it today (I guess yesterday since its now 1:00 am) and he nailed it once again. I gave him very specific dimensions since I have a stand that is 22 3/8" wide and 72 3/8" long. So I asked for the finished diameter, including trim, to be to those dimensions so that it'd be flush and he absolutely nailed it. My tank fits on the stand perfect flush.

The glass all looks brand spanking new. Like some people here warned, I did get frosted glass on my bottom pain, but quite frankly, if this is where they cut cost, which are then passed onto me as savings, then I dont give a rats ass. Its covered in sand anyways. Maaaaaaybe Id care if I went bare bottom but even then, doubtful.

Overflow box is done very nicely with egg crate grill already installed. Silicone jobs are very clean and I am very very very happy with the tank I got for the price I paid.

I've only notice one small hiccup and that is one pain of glass is ever so slightly not flush on one corner, but wont make a difference at all. Hard to explain but its such a minor detail.

So, say what you want, but I am a very strong supporter of BVA and especially Rob. I would much rather deal with him than Mitch as it seems like everything was smooth sailing as soon as Rob took over and my tank looks fricken sweet. Im pumped. I'll be filling it up after next week since Im gone all next week. More reports later in my build thread that I'll start that'll have pictures.

lastlight
07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
For what it's worth I've always heard good things about Rob but have never been lucky enough to deal with him. Glad things worked out for you.

kien
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
That's awesome! Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Sounds like if you are going to go with BVA, ask for Rob by name! Good to know for future reference.