PDA

View Full Version : DT's Live Phytoplankton

impreza
07-16-2003, 02:37 AM
I was wondering where i can purchase DT's Live Phytoplankton locally?
Thanks

Canadian Man
07-16-2003, 04:43 AM
No where locally. Just Mail order. I have alway's gotten mine from jason at Saltwater Connection.

impreza
07-16-2003, 07:22 AM
are there any alternatives to DT's? or is it far and away the best?

Canadian Man
07-16-2003, 07:23 AM
There are many alternatives poping up. I have not used any others so I can't say for sure.

Delphinus
07-16-2003, 02:21 PM
SWC sells an algae paste or syrup stuff that you keep in the freezer. I don't think it's "live" like DT's but the diversity is a little better and the shelf life is a lot longer. You just put a couple drops in every now and again. But if you're going to order that from SWC you may as well order DT's too.

The only thing about DT's is it's quite expensive. IMHO

impreza
09-02-2003, 07:24 AM
does anyone know how much DT's u add to ur tank? is the dosage dependant on the amount of corals in my tank? or is it a general kinda dosage i.e. (for a certain amount of gallons u put a certain amount).
Thanks!
ps. i have a 20 gallon

Delphinus
09-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Dosage is dependent really on what you have that eats it. With a 20g, you're not going to need a lot at all. Bear in mind that most corals we keep are not direct consumers of phytoplankton (which is what DT's is) so they're not actually eating the stuff. One exception is there are some gorgonians that feed on phyto. Clams are the real big consumer of phyto but there is some debate as to whether you really "need" to feed phyto to clams. So in the case of DT's and "how does this help my tank" .. you put small amounts in your tank, thus feeding phytoplankton which in turn are fed upon by other tankmates. In the case of a 20g I don't think you need more than a capful every 3-4 days. Too much more than that and I think you risk spiking your system.

DiscusZ
09-15-2003, 05:06 AM
I believe Big Al's now has this live stuff.. I seen a Fridge on the front counter , then it was moved to the back.

I think this is the same stuff you were looking for.

Jim

EmilyB
09-15-2003, 05:33 AM
It's dead now. :rolleyes:

Canadian Man
09-15-2003, 05:38 AM
It's dead now. :rolleyes: :silly: :rofl: :splat:

Delphinus
09-15-2003, 03:20 PM
If they're not refrigerating it, don't bother buying it. Don't buy it if it's (or has been) frozen, either. It has a shelf life of about a week if it's not refrigerated. Six months if it is. But it has to be in the fridge (like a jug of milk or something), not the freezer.