PDA

View Full Version : Probably A Simple Answer...

PuffLuv
06-24-2009, 05:24 AM
I just picked up about 10lbs of live rock locally. His tank and live rock was covered in green and red slime algae. The rock is still in the pail I used to pick it up. Should I leave it in the dark for a few days or so, to kill/reduce the algae before putting it into my display. If I put it into my display will I be battling this algae if my phosphate is higher than it should be?

Any suggestions are appreciated

Myka
06-24-2009, 05:50 AM
If i were you I would put it in a dark container with a heater and powerhead for several weeks to kill off the algae. Read about "cooking" rock by clicking in my signature.

PuffLuv
06-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the reply Mindy.:biggrin: After doing some tests on the water that the rock came from, I'm a little hesitant about putting this rock in my display even after several weeks. I tested for phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate, and they were all almost unmeasurable. He had new bulbs in his tank, only 4 fish (its a 65 gallon), and its downstairs out of direct sunlight. In addition, he said he did water changes every 2 weeks. When I was picking the rock up, he asked me why I thought he had the algae problem. I thought his problem was phosphate, and maybe it is, and I only have a cheap test kit that just tests the water column, and I don't think he was using a phosphate remover or ro/di. So, do you or does anyone on Canreef think I should be skeptical about putting this rock into my display even after I "cook" it?

fkshiu
06-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Cooking it should deal with the phosphate/nitrate/etc problems IF, and only if, you do regular water changes while it is being cooked and it is over the course of a few MONTHS.

What you are doing is forcing the nuisance algae to feed off of the available phosphate and nitrate. Over time and water changes you are essentially starving the algae of all nutrients until all the detritus (which is causing the phosphate/nitrate) is sloughed off and removed. The algae is forced to feed exclusively off of the nutrients because you've preventing any light from reaching it.

Make sure you blast the rock will a turkey baster or powerhead when you do water changes and get rid of all the crud that comes off and collects at the bottom of the container.

PuffLuv
06-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Wow! Months of work to save a few bucks....great!:ballchain: I guess $45 for 15lbs or so wasn't a really good deal after all...:drinking: LOL!