PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing and accessories on New Tank

ganowicki
07-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Well, the wife finally gave in and let me get a big tank :biggrin: . I bought a 125 gal (72l x 18w x 23h) and it is plumbed with 2 overflows. (Thanks for the delivery Jack). If anybody has pictures of their plumbing set up, I would love to see them (I am a visual learner). If there are any plumming recommendations, let me know so I don't make the same mistakes.

PS: I have a dual 175w MH system, but being that it is 6 feet long I am going to need another light, so if anybody has a 175w or 250w single balast sitting around i would be interested in buying it.

I also need to find out where on the island do they sell 1" bulkheads?

Thanks

christyf5
07-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi Gord,

Congrats!! :cool:
I got my bulkhead at Andrew Sheret. Its on McCullough Rd.

Christy :)

tkhawaja
07-15-2003, 08:08 PM
I just recently went through a new tank setup. Draw a diagram, plan it out. Even though I changed things the diagram I was given was very helpful. Make sure you do a dry run with everything in place and cut down to size. You might struggle to get the pieces apart again but it will give you a good idea about how much or how little to push in the PVC pieces together. Try to make the return from your sump as straight as possible. I would use flex PVC for the return if you can no eliminate turns. Put valves everywhere so you can isolate individual components/pipes for servicing. The one thing I wish I could have done but didn't was to T off the pump in/out with some flex PVC to drain/suck water into/from a bucket. Would make water changes a whole lot easier to do. Measure, measure, measure before you cut. And last of all, make sure the pieces you are cementing are supposed to go together! :lol:

Oh, and I hope this is what you mean by pictures of plumbing: http://www.mywhitecourt.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album05

ldzielak
07-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Gord,

Give me another call if you have more questions. Here is a good link for the Stockman Standpipe. I used one on my 33g and it's in the overflow box I still have if your friend is interested.

http://home.att.net/~rstockman/overflow.htm

Only thing I did differnt is used mu chop saw to make slots in the pipe from each side instead of drilling holes. It took me a few tries to get the water level correct in the overflow. Obviously you want he level lower in the overflow box than the tank, but the long the water falls the louder it gets.

I also have a 175 MH ballast (cap and coil) not wired and I may have a box too that I don't need. I think I even have an extra mogul socket too.

Lee