PDA

View Full Version : Coral Question For Biocube 29

biocuber
06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I am setting up a biocube 29 and want to create a lush coral reef look. I have never kept corals before so I want to start with a couple of easy types that will grow fast and spread across the live rocks. The lights are the standard coralife 36 watt 10000K and 36watt actinic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Snaz
06-21-2009, 10:20 PM
I am setting up a biocube 29 and want to create a lush coral reef look. I have never kept corals before so I want to start with a couple of easy types that will grow fast and spread across the live rocks. The lights are the standard coralife 36 watt 10000K and 36watt actinic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure some here can help but the biggest resource for you right now is nano-reef.com. Use the search and you will find MANY BC29 owners running stock and upgraded lights. Once you get a grasp of what you can host, come back here and you can find lots of coral and advice in these forums.

Doug
06-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Welcome to
Canreef
:mrgreen:

Lots of good aquarists here to help. Seems like your looking for general reefing info. Perhaps check out our library also. Tons of good links and most everything is covered in there.

Your lighting is limiting but certainly enough for many soft corasl, that are fast growing and spread like you wish.

bowkry
06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
mushroom and xenia are great starting corals and they will do great under pcs

scherzo
06-22-2009, 01:18 AM
welcome to the site!

Did you pick up that BC29 that was on craigslist for $100? If it was.. it was a great deal!

I have a BC29 and nano-reef is a really great site. There are quite a few mods you can do to the tank..

Enjoy the hobby!

biocuber
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the nano-reef.com tip. There sure is alot of great info over there. Should keep me busy reading for a long time :biggrin: No, I didn't get the bio-cube on craigslist. $100 would be a steal. I try not to think about how much I have spent. It must be over $800 and I still have lots on my "can't live without" list :wink:

scherzo
06-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Trust me. I know about the sink hole this hobby is..

I've already upgraded my lighting to MH and added a 20g sump.
I may start a tank journal here soon. We can learn together!

biocuber
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
ha ha. ya there may be no end to the tinkering and upgrades. I have an empty 33 gallon that I have been eyeing up as a possible refugium. My macro algae and pods would have bigger accomodation that the fish and corals.

banditpowdercoat
06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
It starts with a BC29, to a 150g full on reef, to a.........LOL

Welcome to Canreef :D