PDA

View Full Version : Some RO questions

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
I have noticed a steady decline in my RO/DI units production over the past few months. To the point that its just a tiny drip every few seconds and takes about a day to make 2 gallons. Its still testing 0 TDS.

I changed the prefilters and DI. I flushed the RO membrane a bit although I don't really know how your suppose to do this properly.

The unit is only about 4 months old so no way the RO needs to be changed.

Any ideas?

Should I take the whole thing apart?

I should also mention, that I don't even really get any waste water anymore. I thought maybe something could be blocked.

Bandsaw
06-21-2009, 10:24 PM
What brand on RO/DI unit is it? Is it possible your feed pressure has decreased?

I had a water spider take up residance once in one of my lines. Took forever to get the little bugger out.

banditpowdercoat
06-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Yes, I would assume a line blockage somewhere

GreenSpottedPuffer
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Its an Aquasafe unit.

I was thinking that maybe the feed line pressure has been reduced. Thats pretty much all I could think of but I am not sure how to check that really.

Myka
06-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Ya sounds like a blockage, pull all the hoses off (one by one so you don't mix them up), and blow through them to see if they are plugged.

mike31154
06-22-2009, 03:33 AM
I would suspect a blockage somewhere as well since you mention you're not getting much in the way of waste water. The million$$ question is of course where? Where do you tap into your water supply and what type of adapter are you using? It certainly wouldn't hurt to verify your feed pressure with a pressure gauge. I used a cheap Orbit irrigation 0-200 psi pressure guage to check my input. I think most homes have a pressure reducing valve somewhere in the plumbing near the main water shutoff valve. This is to ensure any spikes in the city water pressure don't mess with your house plumbing. One section of my plumbing is teed off before the house pressure regulator and that part goes to my outdoor tap which is nice since I essentially have city pressure of about 120 psi for the garden hose. I'm tempted to take my RO/DI feed before this regulator... I checked the pressure after the regulator and adjusted it up to give me more pressure in the remainder of the house, I think I bumped it up to 80 psi. Not sure the previous home owners even knew the regulator was there. Anyhow, food for thought although it still sounds like a blockage in one of your RO/DI lines, that quarter inch tubing is pretty small compared to standard plumbing lines. You might also want to have a look at your flow restrictor, could be an issue with that.

banditpowdercoat
06-22-2009, 03:42 AM
it's got to be on the inlet side of the membrane. Filters, or incoming water. If waste water line pluged, or restrictor, you would get alot more water out of the RO line, although, the TDS may be higher. Either start at supply connection, and verify water at each connection throughout the unit. Grab a towel, or 4