PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 3/8 glass

plutoniumJoe
06-21-2009, 07:29 PM
I was given a 75 gallon that I am going to re-seal. When finished I plan on using it as a sump for my next aquarium. It is 2ft high right now and I think I would like to take it down to 18" so that it is easier to get things in and out of it in the sump.

My question is can you cut 3/8 by scribing and snapping or should I use a tile saw?

Joe.

Dez
06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
A regular glass cutter will do, don't apply too much pressure, one smooth continuous scribe, never scribe twice. Using oil will help. Hope this helps.

Des

hillegom
06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Don't you have to take the aquarium apart, to cut a few inches off the top?

plutoniumJoe
06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Don't you have to take the aquarium apart, to cut a few inches off the top?

I thought that that was implied by the re-sealing. If I could just run it through the table saw as a big box I would but unfortunately I don't think it would be that easy.

banditpowdercoat
06-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, tanks need to be taken apart to be cut glass

But re-sealing does not allways constitute taking tank completely apart. Just cut out the inner bead, leaving joint in tact. Then apply new inner bead of silicone.

reefnut
07-16-2009, 06:01 PM
im in the same boat.got a 96 and want to reseal and cut down.let me know how it worked for ya and if you got any tips joe.also how did you get yours apart.ive cut all inner beads and its so solid still that im afraid ill break the glass if i pull to hard.

scherzo
07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I think re-sealing a tank and re-building a tank are two different things.

Re-sealing was mentioned above. Removing inner seal and keeping the silicone that is wedged between the panes of glass.

Re-building would be to remove all of the silicone including the wedged silicone between the panes of glass.

As mentioned in a similar thread. You'll want to use something like thin guitar string (metal kind) to pull it through the silicone. Be patient.

Also remember if you are going to use a tile saw to cut the glass.

1) Make sure you use a diamond encrusted or electroplated blade. A carbide blade won't do it

2) When moving a LONG piece of glass through the blade make sure that it goes through straight. It sounds like it doesn't really matter to you because it will be your top edge so it doesn't have to be straight to butt up against another piece.. but I think that if it binds while you push it through the saw it might break from the pressure.

I think that cutting it would probably be a better bet.

OR

just live with the 2" height.

sphelps
07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I can tell you right now you will have a very hard time cutting 6" x 48" off a 3/8" piece of glass that size. And that's if it's 2 feet tall because a standard 75 gallon is only 20-21" tall. Glass shops have a nice cutting table to do these kinds of cuts, it would be very difficult to do this with a standard glass cutter and table. Even scoring the continuous line 48" will be hard, I would recomend rethinking your plans. Perhaps seeing if a glass shop will do it for you, or build a new sump from 1/4" glass which will be strong enough provided you used baffles for support.

Also keep in mind that if a tank is built well, taking it apart is very difficult without chipping the glass.