PDA

View Full Version : Killer Crabs!!

bignose
06-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Does anyone else have problems with crabs killing each other? I have zebra crabs and blue legged crabs and I seem to be finding crab legs constantly. Problem is it's only the blue legged crabs. It seems I have killer zebra crabs! Is there a alternate to crabs as a CUC?

hillegom
06-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I have one of those killer blue legged crab. He killed all the rest, even though there were shells available.
About yours, do you have extra shells for the crabs, they need new ones that are larger, when the crab grows.

paddyob
06-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Last night I saw a crab chasing another. Funny thing was, the one crab had no shell on. The aggressive crab stole the one shell and then was trying to kill the other one after. This went on for a while. The shell-less crab tried to take another shell, and the first crab chased him out. You left too early Jason. It was kinda funny, but sad. I stopped watching after a bit, not sure what the outcome was.

whatcaneyedo
06-22-2009, 12:00 AM
I've been isolating all of the big hitch hiker crabs that I find in my tank into an area in my sump. I've thrown about 5 in there and I'm pretty sure there is only 1 left as it must have killed all of the others. They're opportunistic omnivorous and the only one I trust is the porcelain crab.

bignose
06-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Kind of frustrating when you spend alot of money on the crabs and they kill themselves off! Do poralin crabs clean as well as hermits? I know they filter the water.

whatcaneyedo
06-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Porcelain crabs only feed from the water column so they wont help with any problem algae or uneaten food. http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+501+629&pcatid=629

fishytime
06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Crabs is crabs....best quote from this thread.... " they are opportunistic."

BlueAbyss
06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Mmm crab legs :lol:

cwickham
06-23-2009, 11:24 PM
i had a blue legged hermit kill all my others too, but only when i was cylcing... Somone told me that nitrite and amonia spikes make crabs crazy... and once my levels balanced out he stoped with his killing... hes almost one year sober... now he likes to knock corals over.

bignose
06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
i had a blue legged hermit kill all my others too, but only when i was cylcing... Somone told me that nitrite and amonia spikes make crabs crazy... and once my levels balanced out he stoped with his killing... hes almost one year sober... now he likes to knock corals over.

Too funny, I think everyone has this problem. The other day I finally attached all my frags to LR. Blasted crabs!

ned
06-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Make them little jerseys, split teams and you got game.:lol:

bignose
06-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Make them little jerseys, split teams and you got game.:lol:
I'll get on that right away ned! wanna make bets:lol:

I found a dead zebra crab today. I'm finding about 2 dead crabs a week now.
I'm wondering if I should be replacing these crabs with snails or more crabs.

ned
06-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Are shells broken, or any holes in them? You might have a problem with hairy legs:surprise:.Maybe hitchiker in form of crab. Any sounds overnight? Clicking?

bignose
06-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I never find the shells only body parts or the whole crab. There is no clicking in the tank. I took care of all hitchhikers with my trusty screwdriver:twised:
I'm going to look into the tank with a light tonight maybe I missed something.

paddyob
06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I never find the shells only body parts or the whole crab. There is no clicking in the tank. I took care of all hitchhikers with my trusty screwdriver:twised:
I'm going to look into the tank with a light tonight maybe I missed something.

If you dont find the shells... maybe it is just molting. looks just like your crabs body. color and all. i figured this out with a hairy leg i once had, and assumed was dead. especially since the shells are gone. should be there